Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders Santa Barbara County
IN THE NEWS

Murders Santa Barbara County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 18, 2000 | DARYL KELLEY and TINA DIRMANN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A 15-year-old West Hills boy was shot execution style as he lay bound and gagged in a shallow grave near here because his older brother allegedly had not paid a $36,000 debt to a drug dealer, authorities said Thursday. Santa Barbara County sheriff's investigators arrested four people Wednesday and are seeking a fifth in the slaying of Nicholas Markowitz, who was shot nine times in the head and torso last week in the mountains north of Santa Barbara.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 16, 2000 | ZANTO PEABODY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A candlelight memorial adorned the frontyard Tuesday of a 15-year-old boy who was found slain in Los Padres National Forest near Santa Barbara. Poster-mounted photographs of Nicholas S. Markowitz were propped on stands around a table on the family's front lawn, arranged with candles, food and messages, but friends and family were too overcome with emotion to talk about Nicholas. "Nick was a very smart, charismatic, compassionate person," his family said in a written statement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 15, 2000 | ZANTO PEABODY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Remains found by hikers in the Los Padres National Forest have been identified as the body of a 15-year-old Woodland Hills boy missing since Aug. 6, Santa Barbara County authorities said Monday. Lt. Michael Burridge, a Sheriff's Department spokesman, said the body of Nicholas Sam Markowitz was discovered in a shallow grave on Saturday. His family had reported him missing four days earlier.
NEWS
July 25, 1994 | Associated Press
A cultural leader of the Chumash Indians was arrested after he confessed to killing his longtime companion, sheriff's officials said. Antonio Pina Romero Sr. was booked for investigation of murder and was being held without bail Sunday at the county jail in Santa Barbara. Romero, 72, went to a sheriff's substation Friday night and told deputies he had just shot Linda K. Patterson, with whom he had three children, according to Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Detective Phil Willis.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 1993 | JEFF McDONALD
A Ventura teen-ager who pleaded guilty to an assault charge stemming from the fatal stabbing of a 16-year-old Lompoc boy in August was sentenced to five years in state prison, officials said Tuesday. Benjamin Huerta, 18, will be interviewed by officials at the California Youth Authority to determine his eligibility for incarceration at that facility, said Rory Moore, a Santa Barbara County deputy public defender.
NEWS
June 26, 1991 | DANIEL WILLIAMS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After an unusual two-nation investigation of an Alfred Hitchcock-style plot, a three-judge court in Tel Aviv on Tuesday convicted two Israelis of murder and conspiracy in the 1987 shooting deaths of a wealthy California couple. Yair Orr, 30, and Nadov Nakan, 33, were sentenced to life in prison for killing Jack and Carmen Hively as they slept in their $1.2-million Montecito estate overlooking the Pacific.
NEWS
November 23, 1990 | MILES CORWIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The couple was shot to death in their sleep at their estate in Montecito. The two leading suspects and a key witness had moved to Israel. The investigators and all the files in the case were in Santa Barbara. Sheriff's detectives had spent almost two years trying to determine who killed Jack and Carmen Hively, and now the biggest stumbling block in the case was geography.
NEWS
June 30, 1990 | TERRY PRISTIN and SANTIAGO O'DONNELL, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
An incendiary device used to ignite a fire in Santa Barbara that claimed one life and more than 500 homes has been shipped to a laboratory for fingerprint-testing, but investigators said Friday they are not "even close" to finding the arsonist responsible for the most destructive Southern California blaze in at least three decades. "We don't have a person or a car we can focus on right now," said Thomas E. Buckley, a U.S.
NEWS
June 30, 1990 | TERRY PRISTIN and SANTIAGO O'DONNELL, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
An incendiary device used to ignite a fire in Santa Barbara that claimed one life and more than 500 homes has been shipped to a laboratory for fingerprint testing, but investigators said Friday they are not "even close" to finding the arsonist responsible for the most destructive Southern California blaze in at least three decades. "We don't have a person or a car we can focus on right now," said Thomas E. Buckley, a U.S.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|