November 22, 2002 |
U.S. authorities said Thursday that they have captured a top Al Qaeda leader who allegedly masterminded the 2000 attack on the U.S. destroyer Cole and is a suspect in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa. Abd al Rahim al Nashiri was identified as one of a dozen key terrorist leaders about whom the FBI had been seeking information. Federal law enforcement officials called his recent arrest a major setback to Osama bin Laden's continuing plans to strike again.
July 1, 2008 |
The Pentagon announced Monday it would seek the death penalty against a Saudi Arabian accused of plotting the October 2000 terrorist attack on the destroyer Cole that killed 17 U.S. sailors.
February 4, 2013 |
A four-day pretrial hearing of a man accused of being a mastermind of the attack on the U.S. destroyer Cole kicked off Monday with the judge ruling against the defense, which says the government has eavesdropped on its confidential conversations. Army Col. James L. Pohl denied a defense motion to halt a pretrial hearing for Abd Rahim Nashiri, accused of overseeing the bombing in October 2000 of the Cole in Yemen. Seventeen U.S. sailors were killed and 37 wounded in the bombing. Pohl said he has not seen any evidence the government eavesdropped on private conversations between the prisoner and his lawyers, according to the Associated Press.
August 26, 2004 |
Yemen's former interior minister helped the alleged mastermind of the attack on the U.S. destroyer Cole to pass through security checkpoints in the months leading up to the 2000 bombing, according to a document read aloud in court Wednesday by a defense lawyer for five of the suspects.
January 30, 2009 |
The chief judge at the Guantanamo Bay war crimes court Thursday rejected President Obama's call to halt the prosecution of terrorism suspects, ruling that a delay in the case of a Saudi accused in the Cole attack would "not serve the interests of justice." Army Col. James L. Pohl said the government's request to postpone until May the Feb. 9 arraignment of Abd al Rahim al Nashiri was "not reasonable."
December 22, 2007 |
A federal judge appeared reluctant Friday to investigate the destruction of CIA interrogation videotapes, saying the Justice Department is conducting its own inquiry. U.S. District Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr. heard arguments on whether he should hold a hearing on the CIA's controversial destruction in November 2005 of the videotaped interrogations of two terrorism suspects.
January 25, 2008 |
A federal judge said Thursday that CIA interrogation videotapes may have been relevant to a case he's presiding over, and he gave the Bush administration three weeks to explain why they were destroyed in 2005 and say whether other evidence was destroyed. Several judges are considering wading into the dispute over the videos, but U.S. District Judge Richard W. Roberts was the first to demand a written report on the matter.
November 24, 2002 |
German officials believe the Al Qaeda terror network has appointed a Jordanian man as a combat commander to orchestrate attacks on Europe, according to a news report Saturday. Abu Musab Zarqawi is in charge of bringing jihad, or holy war, to Western Europe, Hans-Josef Beth, the head of the intelligence section of Germany's Federal Intelligence Service, was quoted as saying in Der Spiegel newsweekly. Zarqawi is believed to be among the top two dozen leaders of the terrorist organization.
August 23, 2009 |
The CIA staged a mock execution and brandished weapons, including a gun and a power drill, during interrogation sessions with detainees the agency was desperate to persuade to talk, according to a long-secret internal CIA report expected to be released Monday. The episodes are part of a catalog of alleged abuses -- a 2004 report by the CIA's inspector general -- that has prompted U.S. Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. to consider appointing a criminal prosecutor to investigate cases in which the CIA strayed beyond its interrogation authorities.
January 17, 2009 |
All charges against Guantanamo prisoners should be dropped in light of the admission by the top war-crimes tribunal official that some of the 22 men facing trial were tortured, the tribunal's defense chief said Friday. The letter to Convening Authority Susan J. Crawford urged her to clear the controversial court's slate before the Tuesday inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, who has vowed to shut Guantanamo as one of his first actions.