Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsNegligence
IN THE NEWS

Negligence

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
April 11, 1989 | From Times wire services
awsuit filed against Walter Payton accuses the former Chicago Bears running back of negligence in the accidental shooting last year of the manager of his suburban restaurant. The lawsuit, filed Monday in Cook County Circuit Court, contends that Payton, 34, was in his office at Studebaker's restaurant in suburban Schaumburg on April 13, 1988, handling a French-made 9-millimeter semi-automatic pistol when it fired and hit Elmer Ray Hutson in the knee. "He (Payton) was sitting there twirling a gun, talking to the man, and the gun went off," said Hutson's attorney, Philip Corboy.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 7, 2014 | By Jack Leonard and Ani Ucar
A former patient at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center accused the hospital of negligence in a lawsuit filed Monday in which she said she was sexually assaulted last year by a certified nursing assistant after she underwent surgery. The woman alleged in the suit that the hospital failed to adequately respond to complaints of sexual assaults involving the same employee dating back more than a decade. In addition, the patient said Cedars-Sinai never interviewed her or made any effort to investigate after she reported the assault to the hospital June 13. Her lawsuit said she made several attempts to speak to someone at Cedars-Sinai before being told that the employee had been fired and that she could report the matter to police if she wanted further action taken.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 8, 1989
County officials investigating three major fires at Antelope Valley construction sites over the last month said Thursday that hurried, sometimes unsafe work practices caused by the area's housing boom have increased the risk of such fires. Investigations of the fires, the most recent of which destroyed 20 unfinished homes in Palmdale, injured four people and caused $1.5 million in damage Wednesday, are not yet complete.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 21, 2014 | By Scott Glover and Lisa Girion
An Orange County pain doctor caused the deaths of three patients by negligently prescribing them powerful narcotics, state medical authorities said in a complaint made public Friday. The Medical Board of California is seeking to suspend or revoke the license of Dr. Van H. Vu, who was linked to more than a dozen patient overdose deaths by a Times investigation in 2012. The medical board alleged Vu was grossly negligent in the deaths of a 22-year-old woman who had been planning her wedding, a 43-year-old mentally ill man who was prescribed drugs by Vu the day he was released from a hospital after an earlier overdose, and a 51-year-old single father who became addicted to pain drugs after a car accident.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 21, 1993
A South Los Angeles doctor will not face a California Medical Board disciplinary hearing scheduled for today, as a result of a preliminary injunction issued by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge. Leo Kenneally faced allegations of negligence and incompetence and possible revocation of his license after several complaints. He sued to prevent the hearing when the board would not allow him to take depositions from potential witnesses.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 26, 1989
A North Hollywood nursing home's negligence led to the rape of a semi-paralyzed patient who became pregnant, a lawyer argued Monday in San Fernando Superior Court. Elian Rose, of North Hollywood, is seeking $20 million to $30 million from the Laurelwood Convalescent Hospital on behalf of her granddaughter, a long-term patient who suffered massive brain damage in a 1969 car accident. The woman became pregnant in 1982, had an abortion and was sterilized to prevent further pregnancies.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 17, 1990
The Los Angeles City Council, in the face of overwhelming evidence of liability, approved spending more than $3 million to settle two separate lawsuits brought against the city involving alleged negligence by police and paramedics. One suit, settled for $1.57 million, stemmed from the serious injury of four teen-agers sitting in the back of a van struck by an ambulance that was believed to be moving faster than 35 m.p.h. and against a red light, in violation of state law and city policy.
NEWS
October 21, 1990 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The Sheriff's Department said it found no negligence among dispatchers who handled emergency calls moments before an Amtrak train hit a transport truck stalled at a crossing in Encinitas earlier this month. The eight-coach train, carrying 125 passengers, had braked moments before the collision on Oct. 3. It had slowed from 90 m.p.h. to 40 m.p.h., its speed at the time it struck an auto transport truck at a Leucadia railway crossing.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 25, 1989 | LUCILLE RENWICK, Times Staff Writer
A state board has revoked the nursing license of a midwife accused of negligence in two stillbirths, including one by a San Clemente woman after almost 24 hours of labor. After a 5-week hearing in San Diego, Administrative Law Judge Ronald M. Gruen on Thursday found Abigail Odam, 45, of Del Mar to be "grossly negligent and incompetent" and recommended the revocation of her license effective today. The state Board of Registered Nursing agreed with Gruen's decision and revoked the license.
NEWS
March 6, 1992 | NORA ZAMICHOW, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Accused of sexual misconduct and gross negligence in the treatment of eight female patients, San Diego psychologist Charles Hansen has agreed to surrender his license to practice in California. In graphic detail, eight women alleged abuses that included having sex with Hansen during therapy sessions, as well as being drugged and forced to have sex, according to court documents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 5, 2014 | By Lee Romney
SAN FRANCISCO - More than four years after a 52-year-old psychiatric patient was left with a broken neck for five hours on the floor of her room at Metropolitan State Hospital, the physician responsible for her care has agreed to give up his license, according to the state medical board. Dr. Ngoc Le Tuyen, of Fountain Valley, who goes by Tuyen Le, agreed to surrender his license rather than fight an accusation filed last summer by the board. It alleges that Le was incompetent, unprofessional and "grossly negligent" in his treatment of Diane Rodrigues at the Norwalk psychiatric facility.
OPINION
February 4, 2014 | Jonah Goldberg
Welcome to the "year of action. " In last week's State of the Union address, the president vowed to do whatever he has to to help the economy, even if that means working around Congress: "What I offer tonight is a set of concrete, practical proposals to speed up growth, strengthen the middle class and build new ladders of opportunity into the middle class. Some require congressional action, and I'm eager to work with all of you. But America does not stand still, and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that's what I'm going to do. " The White House has touted the fact the president has a "phone and a pen" and he's not afraid to use them.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 8, 2014 | By Joseph Serna and Richard Winton
A group of tenants in a Westside high-rise that was the scene of a dramatic fire in October are suing the building's corporate owner for negligence. Atty. Mark Geragos filed the suit Wednesday against Barrington Plaza and its corporate owner, Douglas Emmett. "The conditions at the supposedly high-end apartment building were atrocious," Geragos said. "Our goal is to try and get them to correct what I consider their outrageous conduct. " According to residents, several fire alarms failed to sound in the 25-story Barrington Plaza as the fire spread within a single apartment on the southwest side on the 11th floor.
NATIONAL
September 28, 2013 | By Cindy Carcamo and Matt Pearce
PRESCOTT, Ariz. - Investigators found no evidence of recklessness or negligence in the battling of the Yarnell Hill wildfire that killed 19 Arizona firefighters in June, but acknowledged that the full story will never be known on the largest loss of firefighter lives since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. "To lose all 19 and have them not talk … makes it a very tough situation and a very different investigation," said Jim Karels, the leader for the Serious Accident Investigation Team.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 21, 2013 | By Jill Cowan
A "freakish series of events" led to honor student Zachary Champommier's death on a night in June 2010 - that much is clear, a federal judge said Wednesday. But whether the plainclothes drug enforcement officers who shot the 18-year-old after he drove into a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy in a Studio City parking lot were justified in doing so is a more complex matter. In a 43-page mixed verdict, U.S. District Judge Michael Fitzgerald awarded $3 million to Champommier's parents - $2 million to his mother and $1 million to his father, Eric Feldman - but also determined that the authorities were not negligent in their actions.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 18, 1991
Police investigating a Tujunga domestic dispute are narrowing their focus to possible negligence on the part of two patrol officers who left the scene an hour before a woman allegedly bludgeoned her husband to death, a top San Fernando Valley police official said Monday. Cmdr. Chet Spencer said that based on a preliminary report issued Monday, he is calling for a "complete investigation to determine whether there was neglect of duty on the part of the officers in the case."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|