Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsO Daniel Gal
IN THE NEWS

O Daniel Gal

NEWS
April 14, 1989
A Superior Court judge today refused to overturn a lower court decision denying bail to Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, who is accused of masterminding an attack on his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne, and her companion last October. Gionis' attorney, Marshall M. Schulman, called the court bail refusal "outrageous" and accused the district attorney's office of making the prosecution a "political case" because Aissa Wayne is the daughter of the late John Wayne. Gionis, 35, a wealthy orthopedic surgeon, is accused of hiring a private investigator, O. Daniel Gal, and two other men to rough up Wayne and her companion, financier Roger Luby, at Luby's Newport Beach estate on Oct. 3. Gal was arrested in Switzerland earlier this week.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 6, 1989 | KENNETH T. YAMADA, Times Staff Writer
A second defendant was ordered Friday to stand trial for an assault last year on John Wayne's daughter, Aissa, and financier Roger W. Luby. Municipal Judge Russell A. Bostrom ordered a trial for Jerrel L. Hintergardt, 37, of Burbank, who is accused of participating in the Oct. 3, 1988, attack in which Wayne was beaten and Luby suffered a severed Achilles' tendon. If convicted, Hintergardt could be sentenced to 11 years in prison. Hintergardt joins Pomona orthopedic surgeon Thomas A. Gionis, 35, Wayne's former husband, who was ordered last month to stand trial in the attack.
NEWS
June 15, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, who stunned even his own lawyer by admitting his involvement in the 1988 assault on John Wayne's daughter and her boyfriend at the time, was sentenced today to eight years in state prison, the maximum possible term. Hintergardt's attorney told jurors last month that his client was at a Los Angeles hospital for an adjustment on his artificial foot when Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby were attacked the morning of Oct.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 18, 1990 | JERRY HICKS
The trial of Dr. Thomas Gionis, accused of attacking his ex-wife Aissa Wayne and her boyfriend, was severed Tuesday from that of Jerrel L. Hindergardt, the co-defendant in the case. The trial of Gionis, 36, a Pomona surgeon accused of ordering the Oct. 3, 1988, assault on the daughter of the late actor John Wayne, was postponed at the defense's request to a tentative date of June 5.
NEWS
May 4, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a dramatic turnaround, a Burbank man admitted on the witness stand Thursday that he led an attack on John Wayne's daughter and her former boyfriend in Newport Beach 19 months ago. Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, 38, denied in Orange County Superior Court in Santa Ana, however, that he personally beat up Aissa Wayne. He also denied prosecutors' claims that the attack was ordered by Wayne's ex-husband, Dr. Thomas A.
NEWS
May 3, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a dramatic turnaround, Jerrel Lee Hintergardt admitted on the witness stand today that he was responsible for the Oct. 3, 1988, attack on John Wayne's daughter and her former boyfriend in Newport Beach. Hintergardt's lawyer, Todd A. Landgren, told jurors in his opening statement that his client was at the Veteran's Hospital having work done on his artificial left foot at the time of the morning attack on Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby at Luby's estate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 10, 1989 | ERIC LICHTBLAU, Times Staff Writer
Pomona surgeon Thomas A. Gionis will stand trial in the fall along with one of the men he allegedly directed to attack ex-wife Aissa Wayne in an attempt to gain custody of their daughter, according to two rulings in court Friday. At his arraignment in Superior Court in Santa Ana, Gionis entered a plea of not guilty to charges that he masterminded the Oct. 3 attack. Judge Myron S. Brown set an Oct. 31 trial date. And at a separate hearing, Judge Robert R. Fitzgerald--over the objections of defense attorney F. Lee Bailey--decided that Gionis should be tried on assault charges along with Jerrel L. Hintergardt, 37, of Burbank.
NEWS
April 19, 1989 | JIM CARLTON, Times Staff Writer
One of the men accused of beating John Wayne's daughter and her boyfriend testified Tuesday that he was hired by a private investigator who told him that a doctor client involved in a child custody battle wanted to "teach his wife a lesson." Jeffrey Kendall Bouey, 35, of Simi Valley, said the investigator never mentioned by name Aissa Wayne's ex-husband, Pomona surgeon Thomas A. Gionis, who is charged with masterminding the Oct. 3 attack against Wayne, 32, and Roger W. Luby, 53, at Luby's Newport Beach estate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 5, 1989 | JIM CARLTON, Times Staff Writer
Newport Beach police late Tuesday night arrested Pomona surgeon Thomas A. Gionis on suspicion of conspiracy in the brutal attack last October on his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne, and her financier boyfriend, The Times Orange County Edition has learned. Newport Beach Police Sgt. Steve Van Horn confirmed that Gionis, 35, had been arrested on a warrant in connection with the attack on the daughter of the late John Wayne and that he was being transported to the city's police station.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 13, 1989 | ERIC LICHTBLAU, Times Staff Writer
A Beverly Hills private detective who returned Friday to this country to face charges that he directed last fall's attack on John Wayne's daughter has now agreed to help authorities in their prosecution of Pomona surgeon Thomas A. Gionis, a prosecutor disclosed Monday. Deputy Dist. Atty. Christopher J. Evans emphasized that law enforcement officials have made "no offers, no deals, no nothing" to O. Daniel Gal, 32, in exchange for his potential testimony. But the prosecutor did acknowledge in an interview that they had secured Gal's cooperation in their investigation into the assault.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|