Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsObstruction Of Justice
IN THE NEWS

Obstruction Of Justice

BUSINESS
July 13, 2005 | Walter Hamilton, Times Staff Writer
Former Silicon Valley investment banker Frank Quattrone's conviction on obstruction of justice should be overturned because of insufficient evidence, improper jury instructions and a trial that was "rife with error," his lawyer told a federal appeals court Tuesday. Quattrone's case is being watched closely by other white-collar defendants and their lawyers. Legal experts believe that the ex-banker's odds of winning his appeal was improved by the U.S.
Advertisement
NATIONAL
June 1, 2005 | David G. Savage, Times Staff Writer
The Supreme Court overturned the criminal conviction of the Arthur Andersen accounting firm Tuesday, ruling unanimously that its shredding of two tons of Enron-related documents did not prove its intent to obstruct justice. The ruling comes too late to save Andersen, which employed 28,000 people until it was driven out of business because of the 2002 conviction.
BUSINESS
March 19, 2005 | Walter Hamilton, Times Staff Writer
Martha Stewart is trying to break out of home, and she just got a dash of hope from a federal appeals court. The U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in New York ruled late Thursday that lower-court Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, who presided over Stewart's obstruction-of-justice conviction last year, can reconsider -- and thus, shorten -- her sentence.
BUSINESS
February 11, 2005 | From Bloomberg News
Three criminal defense groups are asking an appeals court to overturn the obstruction-of-justice conviction of former Credit Suisse First Boston investment banker Frank Quattrone, citing what they termed the "transparent bias" of the judge in the case. The groups, which filed what they called an unusual brief this week in a federal appeals court in New York, assailed rulings by U.S. District Judge Richard Owen, who presided over Quattrone's trial in May.
BUSINESS
January 28, 2005 | Walter Hamilton, Times Staff Writer
Former Silicon Valley financier Frank Quattrone appealed his criminal obstruction-of-justice conviction Thursday, arguing that there was little evidence against him and that he wasn't allowed to tell the jury his side of the story. In a 108-page brief filed in the U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan, Quattrone's lawyers said the trial judge "consistently favored" the prosecution, resulting in a "palpably unfair trial."
NATIONAL
November 25, 2004 | From Associated Press
A U.S. soldier from California was arrested and jailed on murder charges Wednesday in the death of an Iraqi civilian. Army Staff Sgt. Shane Werst, 31, of south Orange County is accused of killing Naser Ismail on Jan. 3 after Ismail was taken into custody by Werst's unit in the Iraqi city of Balad. Lt. Col. Jonathan Withington, a spokesman at Texas' Ft. Hood, would not say how Ismail died. He said charges were filed after another soldier reported the alleged crime.
BUSINESS
November 13, 2004 | From Bloomberg News
The judge who presided at the trial of Frank Quattrone won't allow defense lawyers to review a letter he received from one of the jurors two days after the former Silicon Valley investment banker was sentenced, according to court records. The juror wrote to U.S. District Judge Richard Owen on Sept. 10. Last week, Owen denied a request from defense lawyer Mark Pomerantz to see the letter, saying it was immaterial, the records indicate.
BUSINESS
October 5, 2004 | From Reuters
Former Silicon Valley investment banker Frank Quattrone should report to prison this month to begin serving his 18-month sentence for obstruction of justice, federal prosecutors argued in court papers Monday. Quattrone is due to report to prison by Oct. 28 to serve his sentence for obstructing investigations of possible kickbacks in hot stock offerings of the 1990s.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 5, 2004 | Richard Winton, Times Staff Writer
Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said Monday that he would investigate allegations that a Culver City councilman interfered in an investigation of his son, who eventually was charged with a misdemeanor drug offense. Officer Heidi Keyantash alleged that Councilman Albert Vera Sr. threatened her, shouting, "I'll get you! I promise I'll get you!" after an Aug. 7 traffic stop. Baca said he acted at the request of Culver City Chief John Montanio.
BUSINESS
September 30, 2004 | From Associated Press
Federal prosecutors added perjury and obstruction-of-justice charges to the criminal case against fired HealthSouth Corp. Chief Executive Richard Scrushy under a new indictment in the rehabilitation giant's accounting scandal. The new charges were announced by the Justice Department in a superseding indictment that trimmed the total number of counts from 85 to 58. Scrushy, 52, told U.S. Magistrate Judge T. Michael Putnam during an arraignment that he was "absolutely not guilty."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|