Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsOil Drilling Orange County
IN THE NEWS

Oil Drilling Orange County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 23, 1991 | BILL BILLITER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For the past year, a curious-looking new tower has loomed over the city. To some, the 134-foot angular tower with an American flag on top looks like an avant-garde sculpture. "The other day a real estate person called me, wanting to know if it's a church that's being built here," said Pat Davis, a spokeswoman for Angus Petroleum, which owns the tower. Actually, the intriguing structure at Delaware Street and Rochester Avenue is a soundproofed, camouflaged oil drilling rig.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 6, 1995 | DEBRA CANO, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
In the seven years since they moved into their house on 2nd Street, Jim Calvillo and his family have learned to hate their next-door neighbors: three oil wells that are unwelcome companions, day and night. * "We can't even sit out in the back yard, especially during the summertime, because the fumes from the oil produced and solvents used are so strong," said Calvillo, who is also plagued by noise from the wells, which pump 24 hours a day.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 23, 1998 | LESLEY WRIGHT
Prepared for an all-out battle to stop a company from pumping oil off its shores, the City Council has unanimously agreed to take the city of Santa Fe Springs to court. The Santa Fe Springs Planning Commission last month gave televangelist Pat Robertson's CENCO Refining Co. permission to resume operations at a defunct refinery there. The refinery would be the destination of crude oil that CENCO hopes to pump from a closed Huntington Beach offshore terminal.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 31, 1985 | KRISTINA LINDGREN, Times Staff Writer
The suggestions ranged from burning an oil platform in effigy to starting a citywide fuel-conservation drive. One Laguna Beach woman even suggested forming a "human snake from San Clemente to Huntington Beach" when U.S. Interior Secretary Donald Hodel visits on Aug. 31 to show Orange County's opposition to a plan that would open its coastline to offshore oil drilling.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 21, 1985 | JEFFREY A. PERLMAN, Times County Bureau Chief
Officials of Orange County's coastal cities are puzzling over what went wrong last week when a key House subcommittee cleared a compromise agreement with the Interior Department that would open 54 square miles off the county's coastline to oil exploration. Some city council members from coastal communities blame Rep. Robert E.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 28, 1985 | JEFFREY A. PERLMAN and KRISTINA LINDGREN, Times Staff Writers
The future of a controversial compromise plan to open 1,350 square miles off Orange, San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Humboldt counties to oil exploration will be decided in final negotiations between Interior Secretary Donald P. Hodel and California congressmen in September, according to Hodel's staff and congressional aides. Meanwhile, officials of Orange County coastal cities have formed a coalition to fight the opening of 54 square miles off their shores to drilling.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|