Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsOntario Ca
IN THE NEWS

Ontario Ca

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 27, 2005 | Robert J. Lopez, Times Staff Writer
Police were searching Saturday for a Mira Loma man who allegedly shot and wounded a California Highway Patrol officer during a traffic stop Friday on Interstate 15 in Ontario. Jaime Zavala Garcia, 37, is suspected of shooting the officer in the leg and pelvic area while he was writing a speeding ticket on the freeway shoulder, said a spokesman for the Ontario Police Department, which is handling the investigation.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 14, 2006 | From Times Staff Reports
The officer who shot a teenager in the leg after mistaking a toy gun for a real weapon was justified in using deadly force, the San Bernardino County district attorney's office said Wednesday. On July 25, Ontario police responded to a call about four teens running around with guns near an Ontario Kmart shortly before 9 p.m.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 4, 2002 | SCOTT GOLD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
On Wednesday, Ontario Chamber of Commerce President Robert L. Traister was asked what he thought about the president's upcoming visit. His response: "Which president?" By Thursday morning, he was helping to coordinate the town hall-style meeting President Bush will hold Saturday morning at Ontario Convention Center. "I got here this morning, and everybody in the office said: 'You've got to bail us out. The phones are ringing off the hook,' " Traister said Thursday. "It has been fast and furious."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 19, 2003 | From Times Staff Reports
Two Ontario men have been arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and killing an 18-year-old woman last Friday, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said Monday. Investigators served a search warrant in the 800 block of Sycamore Street in Ontario and found items that belonged to the victim, Jessica De La Torre, authorities said. They also found the car that De La Torre's father had reported stolen. Jesus Vasquez, 20, and Sergio Rojas, 19, were booked on suspicion of kidnapping and murder.
NEWS
September 8, 1990 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Ontario police were searching Friday for a third suspect in the rape and murder last weekend of a 15-year-old girl and the abduction, rapes and stabbings of two women. Ricardo Estrada, 19, and Alfredo Rolando Prieto, 24, of Ontario, were arrested Thursday night in Ontario and were being held in San Bernardino County Jail.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 3, 2001 | From Times Staff Reports
Authorities are looking for a man who threw a Molotov cocktail into a hotel room occupied by a man of Middle Eastern descent Monday night in an apparent hate crime, police said. The hotel guest, who is a U.S. citizen, was not injured. Police said they believe the assailant followed the man and singled him out because of his ethnicity. About 8:20 p.m., a man threw the Molotov cocktail at a window at the Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, 231 N. Vineyard Ave.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 14, 2005 | From Times Staff Reports
Mexican law enforcement authorities Tuesday found a 14-year-old girl abducted from Ontario High School last week. Ontario police said the girl called detectives Tuesday afternoon from the airport in Morelia in Michoacan, Mexico, telling them that her suspected abductor, Elias Flores Martinez, 28, was in the restroom. Officers with the Mexican Agency of Federal Investigation found the girl and reported her in good condition. Martinez remains at large, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 30, 2003 | Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
The San Bernardino County coroner's office on Thursday announced that physical trauma did not cause the death of Jesse Martinez, a 29-year-old Ontario man who died while wrestling with police officers after he allegedly overdosed on methamphetamine. Martinez was pronounced dead Wednesday morning at Chino Valley Medical Center after being handcuffed and becoming combative with four Ontario police officers. The officers tried to control him by holding his arms and legs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 19, 2004 | Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
A man threatening to jump off the interchange of Interstate 15 and the San Bernardino Freeway in Ontario created a major rush-hour traffic jam Monday afternoon after authorities temporarily halted traffic. Police said a 41-year-old Monrovia man stopped his Nissan Maxima on the interchange at 1:55 p.m., and at times dangled his legs off the highest part of the overpass, said David McBride, an Ontario police spokesman.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 30, 2001 | From Times Staff Reports
The city and environmentalists have settled a nearly 4-year-old lawsuit over the development of 8,200 acres in south Ontario, clearing the way for construction of more than 31,000 houses, duplexes and townhouses on dairy land over the next two decades. The city's population is expected to grow by about 100,000--to 250,000--with the development.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|