Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsOrange County Courts
IN THE NEWS

Orange County Courts

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 4, 2000 | RICHARD MAROSI
Gov. Gray Davis on Monday appointed two veteran prosecutors, Patrick Donahue and M. Marc Kelly, to judgeships in Orange County Superior Court. Donahue, 51, a 15-year veteran of the district attorney's office, will succeed Robert H. Keefe, who died this year. A Tustin resident, Donahue prosecuted 28 murder cases during his five-year stint in the homicide unit. Last year, he was promoted to his present position of senior assistant district attorney.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 6, 2000 | WILLOUGHBY MARIANO, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For four hours, 10-year-old Amy sat in a Santa Ana courtroom Friday while her father waited to appear before a judge on burglary charges. Amy is a good girl, her mother said, but the long wait made her fidgety. She asked dozens of questions and was uneasy seeing her father in handcuffs. "It makes me sad," Amy said after her third morning in court. "I don't like seeing him this way. I don't want the judge to be too hard on him. I miss him."
NEWS
April 3, 2000 | DAVID COLKER, TIME STAFF WRITER
The Los Angeles County court system has come up with a new jury summons form so dense that even some judges can't make sense of it. The form, resembling a cross between a mortgage application and a deli menu, has generated a flood of complaints--including one from a Pasadena resident called to jury duty: Judge Lance Ito. He filled it out incorrectly. "Even the IRS couldn't dream up something so complicated!" Ito fumed. "Holy smokes, this is horrible."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 30, 2000
The Orange County Courthouse was closed Wednesday after a main pipe broke and left the building without water. Construction workers digging in the courthouse parking lot accidentally broke the 6-inch line around 6:30 a.m., shutting off water to the building, said Orange County Marshal's Lt. Scott Bowen. Although only the parking lot was flooded, the building on Crown Valley Parkway was closed for the day because of health concerns, Bowen said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 2, 2000 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The 4th District Court of Appeal in Santa Ana has issued an order in the case of Costa Mesa teenager Arthur Carmona that requires the Orange County Superior Court to consider new evidence in the case. Attorneys for Carmona, 18, who was sentenced to 12 years in prison in a controversial robbery case, filed an appeal in January arguing that the boy's first lawyer failed to interview several witnesses that could have provided solid alibis.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 11, 2000 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Attorneys for a Costa Mesa teenager sentenced to 12 years in prison in a controversial robbery case filed an appeal Monday arguing that the boy's first lawyer failed to interview several witnesses who could have provided solid alibis. Arthur Carmona, 17, is being held at a California Youth Authority facility in Ione, near Sacramento. He is expected to be transferred to an adult prison within weeks when he turns 18.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 1999 | ELEANOR YANG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It has long been known that close supervision can prevent drug-addicted criminals from becoming repeat offenders. That has spawned a national system of 600 drug courts that provide treatment and counseling to inmates as an alternative to regular jail time.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 1999 | ELEANOR YANG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It has long been known that close supervision can prevent drug-addicted criminals from becoming repeat offenders. That has spawned a national system of 600 drug courts that provide treatment and counseling to inmates as an alternative to regular jail time.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 29, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Bryan Ray Kazarian, a deputy Orange County prosecutor indicted on conspiracy charges for his alleged involvement in an elaborate drug and money-laundering ring, pleaded not guilty Monday to the federal charges against him. Kazarian, 35, of Aliso Viejo, is the first county prosecutor in memory to be charged with a felony. His trial is scheduled for Aug. 10 in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana. He faces 10 years to life in prison if convicted.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 27, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A key witness whose testimony helped condemn a Costa Mesa teenager to 12 years behind bars on robbery charges told him in a letter that she's "been crying since I found out you were sentenced." "I believe there is a very strong possibility I made a very horrible mistake," Casey Becerra wrote in the letter that Arthur Carmona received in jail last week. "I don't expect you or your family to ever forgive me. I don't know that I can forgive myself."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|