Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsOrange County District Attorney
IN THE NEWS

Orange County District Attorney

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 13, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
Since taking office in 1999, Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas has suspended workers for 1,602 days with full pay and benefits, a $740,000 expense that the chairman of the county supervisors called a major concern in light of the budget crisis.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 21, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
An arbitrator has ordered Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas to reinstate a veteran homicide prosecutor who was fired in 2001 after asking state authorities to investigate the district attorney for alleged wrongdoing. Mike Jacobs, a 25-year prosecutor who once managed the office's homicide unit, was terminated a few months after asking the state attorney general to investigate Rackauckas for alleged misdeeds, including intervening in cases on behalf of friends and political allies.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 14, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
Orange County sheriff's officials are investigating whether a friend of Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas made false statements on an application to carry a concealed weapon -- a handgun that was a gift from the district attorney, a sheriff's spokesman said Thursday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 12, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
Newport Beach businessman Patrick Di Carlo had been investigated by the Orange County district attorney's office for so long that he said it amounted to harassment. He thought it was time for a new district attorney. Tony Rackauckas was an Orange County judge known as an independent thinker who believed in giving people who deserved it second chances.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 5, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
A former Orange County prosecutor filed a $5-million federal lawsuit Tuesday against Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas, alleging that his transfer was in retaliation for asking state prosecutors to investigate his boss for alleged conflicts of interest. Joseph P. Smith was one of three deputy prosecutors who flew to Sacramento in 2001 to ask the state attorney general's office to open a probe of Rackauckas for allegedly intervening in criminal and civil cases on behalf of friends and political allies.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 1, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer and Christine Hanley, Times Staff Writers
The state attorney general's office has concluded that a top lieutenant of Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas was not truthful during a criminal probe of the office. State prosecutors also said that if the official is called as a witness in future criminal cases the office handles, he may be required to disclose his alleged deception to defense attorneys.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 17, 2003 | Christine Hanley, Times Staff Writer
Dogged by allegations of misconduct and mismanagement in his first term, Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas acknowledged Thursday that he has made mistakes but said he is already trying to fix them. "My first term wasn't mistake-free or error-free," Rackauckas said during an interview shortly after he was sworn in for his second term. "Naturally, there are things that I look back on that I might do differently. But I like to move forward," he said. "I'm not going to dwell on the past.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 8, 2003 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas has fired an investigator who two years ago raised concerns about the district attorney's ties to a Newport Beach businessman. Lyle Wilson had been on paid leave since February 2001, when Rackauckas accused him of mishandling an investigation involving Patrick Di Carlo, a close friend and political contributor to the district attorney.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 20, 2002 | Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writer
Orange County's auditor says he cannot tell whether a fund overseen by Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas was spent inappropriately because the office has not provided him with detailed documentation on its use. Auditor-Controller David E. Sundstrom started investigating the fund in October, four months after the Orange County Grand Jury said the office's chief investigator inappropriately billed the fund repeatedly for bar tabs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 14, 2002 | Seema Mehta and Stuart Pfeifer, Times Staff Writers
Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas on Friday withdrew a request asking the Board of Supervisors to pay $50,000 to a law firm that helped him respond to a critical grand jury report after the county CEO opposed the request. County Executive Officer Michael Schumacher was not available Friday to elaborate on his reasons for red-flagging the item.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|