Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsOrange County Government Officials
IN THE NEWS

Orange County Government Officials

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 16, 2001 | JEAN O. PASCO and EVAN HALPER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Facing boos and hisses, Orange County's El Toro publicity team ventured behind enemy lines Wednesday night to address an estimated 1,500 people for the second of nine public forums on the county's plans to build an airport at the closed Marine base. The forum was the first to be held in South County, which solidly opposes the proposed airport. It was the only opportunity for residents to be heard on El Toro's fate before a public hearing on the airport in Santa Ana next month.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 8, 2001 | DAVID REYES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Orange County supervisors deadlocked Tuesday on whether to order an appeal of a judge's ruling that voided petitions on the Great Park ballot initiative. With Supervisor Chuck Smith out of town on county business, the remaining four supervisors split on the issue, which frustrated Supervisor Todd Spitzer because the appeal was recommended by the county's chief executive, Michael Schumacher, and county counsel, Laurence M. Watson. "They can't let their politics interfere," Spitzer said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 1, 2001 | JEAN O. PASCO and DAVID REYES, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
An Orange County judge declared Tuesday that supporters of a plan to build a large urban park instead of an international airport must start from scratch collecting voter signatures to put an initiative on the March ballot. It is the fourth time since May that supporters of the park at the former El Toro Marine base will be forced to restart their signature drive, raising serious doubts about whether they have enough time to collect the required 71,206 valid signatures to meet a Sept.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 2001 | DAVID REYES and EDWIN CHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Gaddi H. Vasquez, a Southern California Edison executive who quit the Orange County Board of Supervisors during the bankruptcy scandal of the mid-1990s, will be President Bush's nominee to head the Peace Corps, the White House announced Wednesday. The announcement came a month after Vasquez, 46, underwent heart bypass surgery when a routine medical checkup discovered a blockage. "I'm honored to be nominated by the president," Vasquez said Wednesday at his home in Orange.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 2001 | DAVID REYES and EDWIN CHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Gaddi H. Vasquez, a Southern California Edison executive who quit the Orange County Board of Supervisors during the bankruptcy scandal of the mid-1990s, is President Bush's nominee as director of the Peace Corps, the White House announced Wednesday. The announcement came a month after Vasquez, 46, underwent heart-bypass surgery when a routine medical checkup discovered a blockage. "I'm honored to be nominated by the president," Vasquez said Wednesday at his home in Orange.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 19, 2001 | From Times Staff, Wire Reports
The second of Orange County's two $20-million Edison International investments in an educational investment pool was paid in full Wednesday, ending what county Treasurer John M.W. Moorlach called six months of "crisis management." Moorlach, criticized by some earlier this year for investing $40 million in school money in the utility despite the state's energy crisis, said all principal and interest payments were made on schedule.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 19, 2001 | DENNIS McLELLAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The second of Orange County's two $20-million Edison International investments was paid in full Wednesday, ending what county Treasurer John M.W. Moorlach called six months of "crisis management." Moorlach, who was criticized by some earlier this year for investing $40 million in school money in the utility despite the state's worsening energy crisis, said that all principal and interest payments were made according to schedule.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 14, 2001 | JACK LEONARD and JEAN O. PASCO and MONTE MORIN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Closing their books on Orange County's historic bankruptcy, prosecutors on Friday abandoned attempts to retry the only county official sentenced to prison for his role in the 1994 financial collapse. State and county prosecutors said they made the joint decision after considering the costs of prolonging the six-year case against former Assistant Treasurer Matthew R. Raabe, whose 1997 conviction was overturned last year.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 7, 2001 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge on Friday threw out fraud charges against former Assistant Treasurer Matthew Raabe for his role in Orange County's 1994 bankruptcy, abruptly derailing prosecutors' efforts to keep the long-running case alive. The ruling comes eight months after an appeals court overturned Raabe's 1997 conviction on identical charges--the only jury verdict against a county official involved in the historic financial collapse. Prosecutors vowed this year to retry Raabe.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 7, 2001 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge on Friday threw out fraud charges against Orange County's former assistant treasurer, Matthew Raabe, for his role in the county's 1994 bankruptcy, abruptly derailing prosecutors' efforts to keep the long-running case alive. The ruling comes eight months after an appeals court overturned Raabe's 1997 conviction on identical charges, the only jury verdict against a county official involved in the historic financial collapse. Prosecutors vowed earlier this year to retry Raabe.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|