Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsOrange County Register Newspaper
IN THE NEWS

Orange County Register Newspaper

BUSINESS
February 11, 1992 | GREGORY CROUCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Orange County Register and its parent corporation have been sued by a former employee who claims that he was fired after he "blew the whistle" on an allegedly fraudulent scheme to inflate the newspaper's circulation. Woodrow W. Combs Jr.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 5, 1993
A libel suit against the Orange County Register has been dismissed at the request of the estate of a deceased Orange County judge who brought the action. Attorneys for Municipal Judge Calvin Schmidt, who died in 1991, asked that the suit be dismissed because the judge's estate lacked funds to pursue the case. The dismissal was granted on April 29, according to court records.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 8, 1999 | DAVID REYES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Southern California news organizations charge that a proposed Orange County ordinance making it a crime to disclose details from closed board sessions has "severe constitutional defects." Such a local law "would establish a climate of fear and intimidate whistle-blowers who might otherwise speak out on public issues," Glen A. Smith, an attorney for The Times and other newspapers, wrote in a June 3 letter to the Board of Supervisors. The ordinance, proposed by Supervisor James W.
BUSINESS
June 8, 1994 | ANNE MICHAUD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Following a trademark dispute with the Washington Post, the Orange County Register has agreed to call a halt to its current countywide advertising campaign, an attorney for the Post said Tuesday. "We're clarifying a few final things, but they have agreed to stop using" a disputed phrase, said Mary Ann Werner, assistant counsel for the Washington newspaper, adding that the resolution had been "amicable." Register officials said any agreement is still in progress.
BUSINESS
November 21, 1991 | BILL BILLITER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
By returning them to their routes, the Orange County Register has settled its multimillion-dollar dispute with 20 independent dealers who sued the newspaper over the loss of their contracts last spring. "The Register case is resolved, and it resolved itself on terms that are delightful to all parties involved," said Taylor Daigneault, a Torrance lawyer who represented 18 of the 20 dealer-distributors who sued the newspaper.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 31, 1992 | GREG HERNANDEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A spokeswoman for the Orange County Register said Wednesday that an additional 26 employees at the newspaper have been fired or disciplined as the result of an internal investigation of alleged drug abuse in the workplace. The newspaper had originally stated in a press release Tuesday that only about 50 employees had been fired or disciplined.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 21, 1990
The California Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to review a lower-court decision limiting the amount of money that Harbor Municipal Court Judge Calvin P. Schmidt can collect if he wins his libel suit against the Orange County Register. In October, a three-judge panel of the 4th District Court of Appeal ruled unanimously that Schmidt could not collect general or punitive damages from the newspaper, if he wins his lawsuit, because he served his demand for a retraction on the Register's editor.
BUSINESS
September 26, 1991 | From a Times Staff Writer
John Schueler, president of a firm that publishes three newspapers in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, has been named the new vice president of circulation at the Orange County Register. He will assume his new job Oct. 7, Register officials said. Schueler, 42, is president of New England Newspapers, publishers of the Woonsocket Call and the Pawtucket Evening Times, both in Rhode Island, and the Herald News in Fall River, Mass. He also holds the position of publisher of the Herald News.
BUSINESS
January 22, 2008 | Martin Zimmerman, Times Staff Writer
The Orange County Register is killing its daily stand-alone business news section, the latest sign of the financial pressures affecting U.S. newspapers. Business news will be carried inside the paper's main news section Monday through Saturday, effective Jan. 30, the Register reported on its website Monday, and the Monday business tabloid will be discontinued after next week's edition. Stock and mutual fund listings will "largely be eliminated," the paper reported.
BUSINESS
February 2, 1991 | JAMES S. GRANELLI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Independent dealers who place the Orange County Register in stores and outdoor racks are being dropped by the newspaper without compensation as part of a plan to take all distribution in-house. The move has angered many of the 27 dealers, some of whom paid $100,000 to $130,000 each in the last 18 months for the distribution routes. They claim their investments, including thousands of dollars for warehouse rent and vehicles, are being wiped out.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|