CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 12, 2003 |
There appears to be little chance of parole this year for Zachariah Chiaia, who was 18 when he helped beat a homeless man to death at a downtown park. Chiaia, 27, is serving a second-degree murder sentence of 15 years to life for the 1993 attack. Salinas Valley State Prison officials have written to the parole board, saying he "poses a serious threat to public safety." Their reports list more than a dozen incidents of misconduct.
August 13, 2008 |
John Lennon's killer was denied parole for a fifth time by a board that said he remained a threat to the public. Mark David Chapman will remain in Attica Correctional Facility for at least two more years for gunning down the former Beatle on a Manhattan sidewalk in 1980. Chapman, 53, has been in prison for 27 years since pleading guilty to the murder, which he has said he committed to gain attention. He became eligible for parole in 2000 after serving 20 years of a maximum life sentence.
June 24, 1987
Juan Corona, who has served 14 years in prison for the 1971 killings of 25 migrant farm workers near Yuba City, was denied parole for the second time. State Board of Pardons spokesman Edmund Tong said Corona was an "unreasonable risk to the public." The three-member board, meeting at Soledad Prison, cited Corona's "horrendous homicides, the evidence of extensive premeditation and inexplicable motive" as reasons for keeping him behind bars.
December 6, 1986 |
A man convicted of killing two guards during a 1971 San Quentin prison uprising failed to win parole Friday on an earlier murder sentence, squelching his hopes for release next week after 20 years behind bars. The state Board of Prison Terms denied parole for Johnny Spain, who was sentenced to life in prison for a Los Angeles murder and robbery in 1966 when he was 17. The parole might have cleared the way for his release on bail in light of the Sept.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 6, 1997 |
Saying residents here are still reeling from the bloody shootout last week, two Los Angeles city councilmen are protesting the relocation of a parole office to the same bullet-scarred neighborhood. Richard Alarcon and Joel Wachs plan to join forces with North Hollywood residents today to condemn state officials for moving a parole office from Sherman Oaks to a building a few blocks from the site of the bloody shooting.
December 13, 1985
Parole was denied again for the two brothers who nine years ago kidnaped 26 Chowchilla school children and imprisoned them with their driver in a buried moving van. The victims made their way to safety nearly 17 hours later. The state Board of Prison Terms, after an 8 1/2-hour meeting in San Luis Obispo, said James Schoenfeld, 34, and his brother, Richard, 31, were unsuitable for release "because of the callous nature of the offense."
September 9, 1987 |
Mass murderer Richard Speck, sentenced to 1,200 years in prison for the rampage slayings of eight student nurses in 1966, was denied parole today by a unanimous vote of the Illinois Prisoner Review Board. The decision was announced in a brief written statement and came without explanation. Speck, 46, who has served 21 years in prison, previously has been denied parole five times by the 10-member board. His next hearing was set for September, 1990.
June 19, 2008
Re "Riches did not change habits," June 17 After reading the headline, I thought that Jose Luis Munoz had robbed a liquor store after receiving his $2.5-million settlement, when in fact he was given 16 months in prison for a technical parole violation: "associating with other gang members." In other words, he was returned to prison for hanging out with his old friends. Was former vice presidential aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby told not to associate with Republicans as a condition of his presidential pardon?
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 5, 2009 |
Phillip Garrido, the man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting Jaycee Lee Dugard, was paroled by the federal government two decades ago after a 35-minute jailhouse interview in which he spoke of his crime, his prison experience and future plans, the U.S. Parole Commission said Friday. Garrido, charged with abducting Dugard 18 years ago, was released from federal custody after serving only 10 1/2 years of his 50-year sentence for a 1976 kidnapping. Cranston Mitchell, vice chairman of the U.S. Parole Commission, said two commission examiners met with Garrido in Lompoc, Calif.