March 29, 1988 |
The reputed leader of the Southern California Mafia, two of his top henchmen and four other men today pleaded guilty to racketeering or extortion charges on the first day of their trial in Los Angeles federal court. Peter John Milano, identified by prosecutors as the leader of an organized crime family, pleaded guilty to racketeering. He admitted that he participated in two attempted extortions.
May 22, 1987 |
Seven organized crime figures were arrested and eight others charged, culminating a four-year investigation of gambling and loan-sharking that "dealt a decapitating blow" to the Mafia in Southern California, authorities said today. Peter John Milano, 52, alleged to be the head of La Cosa Nostra in Southern California, was arrested this morning along with alleged under-boss Carmen Joseph Milano, 58, U.S. Attorney Robert Bonner announced at a press conference.
July 14, 1987 |
A Palm Desert man identified by authorities as a longtime organized crime figure entered a conditional guilty plea Monday to charges of selling 83 grams of cocaine to an FBI agent. Robert Ralph D'Agostino, 54, became the first of 15 alleged Mafia leaders and associates to admit to charges in an 18-count indictment targeting what federal prosecutors say is the entire hierarchy of the Los Angeles crime family.
April 10, 1985 |
Four of 20 suspects arrested last October in what authorities termed a crackdown on Mafia efforts to muscle in on bookmaking operations in Southern California each pleaded guilty or no contest Tuesday to bookmaking charges. Deputy Dist. Atty. Robert P. O'Neill said he was satisfied with the plea bargains--in which additional bookmaking counts were dropped--because the defendants were among "the ones the takeover was aimed at," rather than the Mafia targets of the crackdown.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 16, 1985 |
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office filed charges Tuesday against 12 of the 20 suspects who were arrested last October in what authorities said was an effort to halt Mafia families from muscling in on bookmaking operations in Southern California. Deputy Dist. Atty. Robert P. O'Neill said his office did not have enough evidence to prosecute eight others arrested in the five-county sweep.
June 11, 1987 |
Reputed mob leaders Peter John Milano and Luigi Gelfuso were ordered held without bail Wednesday by a Los Angeles judge who said there is evidence of a criminal organization that "deals in death, in the forms of drugs and vengeance." U.S. District Judge Ferdinand F. Fernandez denied bail for the two San Fernando Valley men based, in part, on a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month endorsing "preventive detention" for defendants believed to present a threat to the community. "It is a fact that Mr.
April 1, 1988 |
U.S. and Italian authorities, breaking up a huge drug ring that brought heroin into this country in exchange for cocaine, have charged 233 suspects in the United States and Sicily in what Atty. Gen. Edwin Meese III described Thursday as "the largest international drug case ever developed by the federal government." Meese, announcing the action at a press conference punctuated by repeated questions about his own legal troubles, said the U.S.
March 27, 1990 |
One day last year, a man facing big trouble with the law came to the Sausalito office of veteran criminal defense attorney Michael H. Metzger and plunked down $100,000 in cash. Metzger deposited the legal fee in a local bank. Then he filed a form with the Internal Revenue Service reporting that he had received more than $10,000 in cash, as he is required to do under a 1984 federal law.
July 23, 1986 |
Violent narcotics dealers such as the Colombian cocaine network and various gangs composed of street hoodlums, prison inmates, outlaw motorcyclists and Asian criminals pose a growing threat in California--and one that is far more menacing than the traditional Mafia network, state Atty. Gen. John Van de Kamp said Tuesday.