January 29, 2004 |
Strained by operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, the U.S. Army will boost its forces by 30,000 for the next four years through emergency authority, Gen. Peter Schoomaker, the Army chief of staff, told Congress on Wednesday. But Schoomaker, testifying to the House Armed Services Committee, rejected calls from lawmakers for a permanent increase in forces, saying it would undermine efforts to streamline and modernize the Army. He said he'd been authorized by Defense Secretary Donald H.
July 22, 2004 |
The U.S. Army is delaying for two years the launch of its first combat unit to be fully equipped in a $92-billion modernization program co-led by Boeing Co., top generals told Congress on Wednesday. Underlying technology will take longer than had been planned for development of the so-called Future Combat System, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker told the House Armed Services Committee.
August 21, 2005 |
The Army is planning for the possibility of keeping the current number of soldiers in Iraq for four more years, the Army's top general said Saturday. Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker said the Army was prepared for the "worst case" in terms of the required level of troops in Iraq. Schoomaker, the Army chief of staff, said commanders in Iraq and others in the chain of command would decide how many troops would be needed next year and beyond.
March 6, 2007 |
Top Army officials faced angry lawmakers during an emotional hearing Monday on shoddy medical treatment and living conditions at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, acknowledging that they had failed in the care of wounded veterans. Calling the scandal at Walter Reed "the tip of the iceberg of what is going on all around the country," Rep. Henry A.
July 15, 2006 |
It seemed like a routine question, one that military leaders involved in prosecuting the war in Iraq must ask themselves with some regularity: Is the U.S. winning? But for Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker, the Army chief of staff known for his straight-shooting bluntness, it proved a hard one to answer.
February 9, 2006 |
A former soldier injured in Iraq is getting a refund after being forced to pay for his missing body armor vest, which medics destroyed because it was soaked with his blood, officials said Wednesday. First Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV, 25, had to leave the Army with a shrapnel injury to his arm. But before he could be discharged last week, he said, he had to scrounge cash from his buddies to pay $632 for the body armor and other gear he had lost.