August 7, 2013 |
Plácido Domingo has returned to the stage for the first time since he was hospitalized in July after suffering a pulmonary embolism. The 72-year-old tenor performed at the Salzburg Festival in Austria on Tuesday evening, alongside soprano Anna Netrebko in a concert version of Verdi's "Giovanna d'Arco. " The performance, conducted by Paolo Carignani, took place at the festival's Felsenreitschule venue and also featured singers Francesco Meli, Roberto Tagliavini and Johannes Dunz.
October 1, 2012 |
Placido Domingo is taking time out of his operatic schedule this week to appear on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars. " But fans hoping to see the tenor demonstrate some fancy footwork will be disappointed. Domingo is only expected to sing on the live telecast Tuesday. The Spanish tenor will perform "Come What May" -- from the 2001 movie "Moulin Rouge" -- in a duet with Katherine Jenkins. The number is part of his new album, "Songs," in which Domingo performs a series of popular tunes.
July 16, 2013 |
Placido Domingo, the superstar Spanish tenor and conductor who also serves as L.A. Opera's general director, has "recuperated favorably," after spending nearly a week in a Madrid hospital to be treated for a pulmonary embolism, his son Álvaro Domingo said in an interview posted Monday on a Colombian radio station's website . The elder Domingo is expected to make a full recovery. A day after his Saturday release from the hospital, he attended a dress rehearsal of Daniel Catan's opera "Il Postino" at Madrid's Teatro Real.
October 4, 2012 |
Frank Gehry and Placido Domingo will be lending a hand to the National YoungArts Foundation, a nonprofit group that provides financial assistance and other forms of support to aspiring artists. The organization announced this week that it has acquired the Bacardi Tower and Museum buildings in Miami that will serve as its national headquarters. Gehry has been commissioned to design the master plan for the historic campus, the group said. The architect was also named an artistic advisor for the group, along with Domingo and choreographer Bill T. Jones.
July 14, 2013 |
Placido Domingo, who was hospitalized last week in Madrid, has been released and is in high spirits. The 72-year-old opera star suffered a scare when he was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism resulting from a deep venous thrombosis (basically a blocked blood vessel, which can result from a long plane flight). The clot had formed in his right leg and moved to his lungs, where it lodged in an artery. Thanks to an early diagnosis, Domingo is expected to make a full recovery. PHOTOS: Arts and culture by The Times The day after his release Saturday from the hospital, the singer attended a dress rehearsal of Daniel Catan's "Il Postino" at Madrid's Teatro Real, his spokeswoman, Nancy Seltzer, said.
March 15, 2012
Plácido Domingo will sing the title character in Verdi's "Nabucco" for the first time at the Royal Opera in London next year. The new production, announced Wednesday, will be the fourth new role for Domingo in a little more than a year, all baritone parts. The 71-year-old general director of L.A. Opera, famous for his decades as a tenor, also is slated to make role debuts in Massenet's "Thais" in March in Spain, Verdi's "I Due Foscari" at Los Angeles in September, and Verdi's "La Traviata" at New York's Metropolitan Opera next March.