CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 18, 1999 |
Concerned by the recent sudden illness of at least two dogs in their Winnetka neighborhood, two residents asked city animal regulation officials Wednesday to investigate what they believe to be the poisoning of their pets. Officials from the city's Department of Animal Regulation said samples of suspicious meat found near the pets have been sent to a lab but it has yet to be determined whether the animals were poisoned. Both dogs survived.
August 14, 1999 |
Pigeons have been dropping from the sky in Manhattan--poisoned by a person or persons unknown, the city's Department of Parks and Recreation said. The department said a $1,000 reward for information leading to the poisoner's arrest has been offered by the City Parks Foundation, a nonprofit group that helps fund the parks. A total of 57 pigeons and more than a dozen other birds have been found dead of poisoning in Central Park.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 9, 1989
Four people, including a Lancaster man, were found dead, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning, in a Mesa, Ariz., motel room Wednesday. Mesa Police Sgt. Mike Hayes identified the victims as Al Stjernberg, 26, of Lancaster; Sandra Rae Magness, 25, of Quartz Hill, Calif., and Magness' two children, Amanda Magness, 18 months, and Jessica Magness, 8 months. An employee of the Florian Motel found the bodies of the four, along with a dead German shepherd, Hayes said.
May 20, 1999 |
In 1981, university researchers tested for lead in the blood of Maria del Pilar's 3-year-old daughter, Julieta, and other children living in the shadow of the huge metal smelter in this northern desert city. Julieta measured a worrisome 34 micrograms of lead per deciliter, her mother recalled, but nobody paid much attention. Last month, researchers reexamined Julieta, now 22.