CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 8, 2006 |
One by one, her beloved plants started to die. First, a cherry tree. Then some petunias. A rose bush. Her tomato plants. A raspberry guava. Catherine Sara Cass suspected that her garden was being poisoned by the couple next door. So she planted protest signs in her frontyard, spicing them up with her own brand of sarcasm: "Milosevic lives next door" -- a reference to the former Yugoslav president now charged with genocide. Jim Wallace and his wife were not amused, but they let things slide.
December 31, 2005 |
Contaminated dog food that was sold in 23 states has killed about two dozen dogs and sickened 18 more, the Food and Drug Administration said Friday. The deaths and illnesses sparked an FDA investigation into the pet food made by Diamond Pet Foods at its Gaston, S.C., manufacturing plant. The company, based in Meta, Mo., issued a recall of 19 varieties of dog and cat food on Dec. 21 because some of the pet food made at the Gaston facility was discovered to contain aflatoxin.
July 8, 2005 |
Authorities suspected that contaminated drinking water caused the deaths of 18 people and sickened 150 others this week in west-central Pakistan, an official said Thursday. Thirty people were in serious condition. The deaths occurred over the last two days in the district of Zhob, about 155 miles northeast of Quetta, said Abdur Rahim, a doctor at the Civil Hospital in the area's main town of Zhob.
May 20, 2005 |
A man in Taiwan died and four others were hospitalized after drinking a popular bottled drink laced with cyanide and labeled: "I am poisonous. Please do not drink." Some of the victims thought the warning was a new advertising slogan, police said. Paolyta Co., the maker of the Bullwild energy drink, ordered an island-wide recall of as many as 1.6 million bottles. The drink, popular among taxi drivers and other workers, has also been taken off the shelves in Hong Kong and Macau.
February 10, 2005 |
Two 13-year-old girls who were initially charged with attempted murder for making more than a dozen classmates sick by serving them a cornbread cake laced with Elmer's glue and Tabasco sauce were sentenced to probation in Marietta. They were found guilty of disrupting a public school and were given nine and 12 months on probation. Juvenile Judge Juanita Stedman also ordered them to write essays on what they had learned.
February 3, 2005 |
A woman has been indicted for criminally negligent homicide for causing her husband's death by giving him a sherry enema, a Houston police detective said. Tammy Jean Warner, 42, gave Michael Warner two large bottles of sherry, which raised his blood-alcohol level to 0.47%, said detective Robert Turner. Warner, 58, was said to have had an alcohol problem, and received the wine enema because a throat ailment left him unable to drink.
February 1, 2005 |
Two mountain lions that prowled the Simi Valley area died after they ingested prey loaded with over-the-counter poisons humans use to get rid of pesky rodents. In recent years, wildlife experts for the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area monitored four adult cougars from the Malibu coast to the Santa Susana Mountains near Valencia. But late last fall, radio collars on two animals indicated they died.
December 29, 2004 |
Poisonous liquor sold by an illegal bar in Bombay has killed 51 people and sickened nearly 100 others over two days, spurring citywide raids on alcohol vendors, a municipal official said. Police arrested the woman who owned the bar, and 6,800 gallons of illicit homemade liquor have been seized in raids at other illegal liquor shops, a senior excise officer said. Seventeen policemen have been suspended for their failure to stop the illegal liquor business, an official said.
December 22, 2004 |
A woman tried to kill her husband and teenage son by serving them milkshakes laced with lethal doses of prescription medication, authorities said in Troy. Both victims were hospitalized but survived. Mary Ellen Cannon, 46, was charged with attempted murder and poisoning. The motive was unclear, authorities said.
December 13, 2004 |
The Ukrainian prosecutor-general's office announced Sunday that it had reopened an investigation into allegations that presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko was poisoned, after doctors in Austria confirmed he had ingested dioxin. Returning to Kiev after checking out of a Vienna clinic, Yushchenko said he was sure that members of the government were responsible for the dioxin poisoning that had disfigured his face and caused other symptoms.