September 5, 2013 |
The Obama administration, trying to defuse one of the most contentious issues in its healthcare law, proposed Friday a new way to shield religiously affiliated organizations, such as hospitals and universities, from having to provide contraceptive coverage directly to their employees. Instead, the employees would obtain coverage through a separate, private insurance policy at no cost. The proposed rule also reaffirms that churches and other houses of worship themselves are exempt from the contraceptive mandate in Obama's healthcare overhaul, and makes it easier for institutions to show that they qualify for the exemption.
June 5, 2013 |
“The brain is a body part too,” President Obama said in a speech Monday in which he urged Americans to embrace those struggling with mental illness. Sounds like an innocent enough proposal, right? Like victims of cancer or diabetes, those whose suffering starts in the brain have a claim to public support. Not so for the Daily Caller's Neil Munro , who thinks he's protecting taxpayers from a government PR scheme designed to enrich the mental health industry and sap patients of their resolve.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 22, 2013 |
Geography plays a role in whether patients in California have elective operations such as joint replacement, weight loss surgery and gallbladder removal, according to a new study . The California HealthCare Foundation study showed wide variations in patient surgeries across the state. The authors attribute the difference to several factors, including physician preferences and lack of clinical evidence that one procedure is better than another. Patient input also played a role in whether a certain kind of operation was performed.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 20, 2013 |
When the national healthcare law takes full effect next year, millions of Americans risk disrupted health coverage because of common life events: getting married or divorced, having children or taking on a second job. As their family incomes change, so too will their eligibility for public insurance programs. And if nothing is done, policymakers warn, many low-income patients will lose access to their doctors and medications during this massive game of health coverage pingpong. Policymakers and healthcare industry leaders across the nation are paying close attention to the issue and working to close the coverage gaps before Jan. 1, said Alan Weil, executive director of the National Academy for State Health Policy.
April 22, 2013 |
A new study attributes a slowdown in U.S. healthcare spending to the recent recession and predicts more rapid growth as the economy strengthens. The report issued Monday by the Kaiser Family Foundation seeks to shed light on the reasons behind the recent drop-off. The analysis found that economic factors related to the recession accounted for 77% of the reduced growth in national healthcare spending, which totaled an estimated $2.8 trillion in 2012. The remaining 23% resulted from changes in the healthcare system, such as higher patient deductibles and other changes made by insurers and medical providers, the study said.
April 19, 2013 |
The lending landscape shifted measurably this month when the standard-bearer for first-time buyers and low-to-moderate income borrowers became more expensive than its private business counterpart. On April 1, fees for low-down-payment mortgages insured by the Federal Housing Administration rose for the third time in two years. The hike in fees serves a twofold purpose: to help shore up the FHA's sagging mortgage insurance fund, which is dangerously low; and to reduce the government's footprint in the mortgage market.