October 16, 2008 |
Tests on bottled water turned up a variety of contaminants often found in tap water, according to a study released Wednesday by an environmental advocacy group. The findings challenge the idea that bottled water is purer than tap water, the researchers said. All the brands in the study met federal health standards, but two violated a California standard, said the Washington-based Environmental Working Group.
August 27, 2008 |
Ayurvedic medicines -- herbal mixtures dating back thousands of years in India and increasingly popular in the West -- are frequently contaminated with lead, mercury or arsenic, according to a study published today. A fifth of the nearly 200 concoctions tested contained levels of the toxic metals that, if taken at the maximum recommended doses, would surpass California's safety guidelines. Dr. Robert Saper, a Boston University professor of family medicine who led the study, said the findings should spur the Food and Drug Administration to start clamping down on the largely unregulated world of pills, herbs and powders classified as dietary supplements.
June 11, 2008 |
California's attorney general has filed suit against four manufacturers, including Whole Foods Market Inc., accusing them of failing to label soap products that contain a potentially cancer-causing chemical. The suit, filed by Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown in Alameda County Superior Court late last month, didn't name the specific body washes, gels and liquid dish soaps that allegedly contain 1,4-dioxane.
May 31, 2008 |
PetSmart Inc., Petco Animal Supplies Inc. and five other companies won preliminary court approval of a $24-million settlement of consumer lawsuits for selling melamine-tainted pet food. The ruling by U.S. District Judge Noel Hillman in Camden, N.J., tentatively settles about 100 suits in the U.S. and Canada. A final approval hearing is set for Oct. 14.
May 11, 2008 |
Panamanian investigators asked health authorities to track down patients whose names appeared on 6,000 bottles of medication contaminated with a chemical commonly found in antifreeze. The bottles were handed over to the government two years ago when at least 116 people died after using poisonous cough syrup, antihistamine tablets, calamine lotion and rash ointment made at a government laboratory. The medicines were found to be contaminated with diethylene glycol. Investigators gave the Health Ministry a report on the 6,000 bottles in hope of determining how the patients were affected and whether they still needed treatment, the attorney general's office said.
April 9, 2008 |
The scope of concerns about the possible ill effects of a contaminated blood thinner from China grew significantly Tuesday as federal regulators urged makers of many kinds of medical devices that contain the drug to test their supplies. The products to be tested cover a spectrum of equipment and uses.