September 16, 2008 |
The federal government's highway safety agency said it was studying whether it should expand past recalls involving the Honda Accord after receiving complaints of the car rolling away and crashing. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it had received 15 complaints about a failure of the ignition park-shift interlock system in the 2002-03 Honda Accords.
July 20, 2008 |
British publisher Parragon Books is recalling about 500,000 children's necklaces with silver-colored ballet shoe charms. Solder on the charm may contain high levels of lead, which can harm children if swallowed. The necklace came with a book -- titled "The Magical Ballet Slippers" or "Ballerina's Magical Shoes" -- sold nationwide at retail chains and independent bookstores from January 2003 through June 2008. Consumers should immediately take the necklaces away from children and contact Parragon.
July 13, 2008 |
About 13,000 It's a Girl Thing bracelets, necklaces and phone charms, made in China and distributed by Bead Bazaar USA Inc., are being recalled because they may contain high levels of lead, which is toxic if ingested. The jewelry was sold nationwide from February 2006 to June 2008. For details, call (800) 838-1769, or go to www.beadkit.com/recall.htm or www.cpsc.gov.
July 12, 2008 |
In a shift on federal food safety policy, the Bush administration soon will begin telling consumers during recalls whether their local grocery store has been stocking contaminated meat or poultry. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which announced the change Friday, currently publicizes food recalls and sources but does not tell consumers where the tainted products have gone. Long-standing anger about this policy flared in February during the largest beef recall in U.S.
July 12, 2008 |
Salmonella, the bacterium that has sickened more than 1,000 Americans who ate tainted produce since April, has also been found in Thai basil grown in Mexico. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration identified salmonella during random testing of basil imported by Lucky Green Trading Inc., a family-run company based in Garden Grove, the agency said Friday. The product has been recalled from Southern California, Arizona and Nevada, where it was distributed directly and sold in retail stores.
June 26, 2008 |
Kroger Co. recalled an undetermined amount of ground beef from stores in Michigan and Ohio because the meat might be contaminated with E. coli bacteria, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said.
May 21, 2008 |
Leap Wireless International Inc., a pay-as-you-go mobile phone service provider, recalled about 285,000 phones after they failed during 911 calls. The San Diego-based company will provide software updates to customers who bought the $90 Cricket EZ phone from February to March, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said. Leap Wireless reported two instances of audio problems that prevented emergency operators and callers from communicating, the commission said. About 15% of phones tested had the glitch, Leap spokesman Greg Lund said.
April 6, 2008 |
About 122,000 Rock N Ride plush rocker toys, manufactured in China by Tek Nek Toys International, were recalled because the rocking base can be unstable, according to the Texas-based company and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. For more information, call (888) 686-2728.
March 22, 2008 |
B. Braun Medical Inc. recalled heparin blood thinner in the U.S. and Canada after learning that it contained a "heparin-like contaminant" from a supplier linked to deaths and allergic reactions in another company's product. The contaminant was supplied by Scientific Protein Laboratories, Irvine-based B. Braun Medical said Friday. Scientific Protein also supplied Baxter International Inc. with heparin containing a cheaper ingredient from China. Baxter's heparin has been linked to serious allergic reactions and 19 U.S. deaths.
March 18, 2008 |
Toy distributor Mega Brands Inc. recalled about 2.4 million Chinese-made toys Monday because small magnets could fall out and cause internal injuries. These tiny magnets could be swallowed or inhaled by children. If more than one magnet is swallowed, they can attach to each other and cause intestinal perforation, infection or blockage, which can be fatal. Montreal-based Mega Brands is recalling 1.1 million Magtastik and Magnetix Jr. preschool toys. The recall also includes about 1.