Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsQuake
IN THE NEWS

Quake

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 1, 2014 | By Los Angeles Times staff, This post has been corrected. See the note below for details.
The U.S. Geological Survey is warning the public a letter that purports to be from the agency asking Orange County residents to be prepared for "a sizable earthquake" is a hoax. The letter featuring the agency's logo was apparently sent to area residents and circulated online. The letter claims "California is issuing a statewide warning" and five communities -- Westminster, Santa Ana, Long Beach, Newport Beach and La Habra -- could experience a 7.4 magnitude "tremor. " In a post on its Facebook account , the USGS said it was aware of the letter that "uses our logo.
Advertisement
NEWS
March 31, 2014 | By Ken Schwencke
A shallow magnitude 2.6 earthquake was reported Monday afternoon in La Habra, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor occurred at 12:14 p.m. Pacific time at a depth of 0.6 miles. According to the USGS, the epicenter was one mile from Brea, three miles from Fullerton and three miles from Rowland Heights. In the last 10 days, there have been nine earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater centered nearby. This information comes from the USGS Earthquake Notification Service and this post was created by an algorithm written by the author.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 2014 | By Paloma Esquivel and Adolfo Flores
Three north Orange County cities scrambled Monday to reopen roads and buildings following a magnitude 5.1 quake that snapped water lines, damaged chimneys and left a well-traveled thoroughfare covered in dirt and boulders. Still, as the workweek began and the extent of damage came into sharper focus, city officials said it appeared the cities along the Los Angeles County border had been lightly touched despite the size of the quake and the continuing aftershocks. The biggest concern was Carbon Canyon Road, which remained closed Monday as a result of a rock slide Friday, said Anna Cave, emergency preparedness coordinator in Brea.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 2014 | By Robert J. Lopez
Officials with the U.S. Geological Survey were advising Southern California residents Monday evening about a hoax letter that is warning of an "impending large quake. " The letter with the agency's logo was apparently being sent to residents in Orange County, urging them to be prepared for a large quake. "California is issuing a statewide warning," the letter states. The agency advises residents to check the USGS website for the latest earthquake information. The letter comes in the wake of Friday's 5.1 magnitude temblor centered in La Habra.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 2014 | By Paloma Esquivel and Adolfo Flores
On Monday northern Orange County cities were working on reopening roads and buildings that sustained damage from last week's 5.1 earthquake. Buildings in Brea didn't suffer any significant structural damage, said Anna Cave, emergency preparedness coordinator. Most of the calls the city received from residents were for walls or chimneys. Their biggest concern was Carbon Canyon Road, which remained closed Monday as a result of a rock slide on Friday, Cave said. The Brea road, used by an estimated 21,000 commuters a day, was expected to open at 4 a.m. Tuesday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 2014 | By Hector Becerra and Rosanna Xia
The magnitude 5.1 La Habra earthquake that shook Southern California isn't going into the seismic history books for its modest size and small damage totals. But it was an event on social media, which transmitted stories and images of the quake and its many aftershocks with a speed and breadth that left seismologists and emergency personnel taking notice. The first signs of damage came not from authorities but from residents posting photos on Facebook of broken dishes and fallen cabinets.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 29, 2014 | By Christine Mai-Duc
About 50 residents were let back into their Fullerton apartment units, which had been red-tagged Friday night after the 5.1 La Habra earthquake, according to Fullerton Fire Battalion Chief John Stokes. City building department inspectors were out in force Saturday to examine the 20 units at the building on Associated Road, and deemed them safe. Elsewhere in the city, about 19 residents in six single-family homes across northern Fullerton remained displaced, Stokes said. Most appeared to be staying with friends or relatives after a nearby shelter at a La Habra community center was closed by the Red Cross due to lack of requests for assistance.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|