Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRafael Hernandez Colon
IN THE NEWS

Rafael Hernandez Colon

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
October 10, 1986 | United Press International
Gov. Rafael hernandez Colon signed an executive order Thursday requiring some 20,000 public employees to take urine tests for drugs.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
February 21, 1990 | From Associated Press
Gov. Rafael Hernandez Colon said Tuesday his government will sell the Puerto Rico Telephone Co. for at least $2 billion to pay for education reforms and development on the Caribbean island. "It is the only company which has enough value" to generate the money needed to revamp Puerto Rico's school system and the island's infrastructure, the governor said in his "State of the Nation" address.
Advertisement
NEWS
October 14, 1985
Rescuers searching for survivors of a mud slide that may have killed up to 500 people in Puerto Rico last week have concluded there is no hope of finding any, Gov. Rafael Hernandez Colon said. The governor said efforts to find survivors in Mameyes, 45 miles southwest of San Juan, will stop, but that authorities will continue to search for bodies among the 275 homes that were buried under tons of clay, rocks and debris last Monday.
NEWS
January 13, 1987
Arrests are "very, very close" in the New Year's Eve arson fire at the Dupont Plaza Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico, that killed 96 people and injured more than 140, Gov. Rafael Hernandez Colon said. At a news conference in the governor's mansion, Hernandez Colon was asked if that meant he expected arrests within days or some longer period, and he only repeated they were "very, very close." The governor called the news conference to announce that he has asked the Legislature of the U.S.
NEWS
January 3, 1985
Rafael Hernandez Colon was sworn in as governor of Puerto Rico, returning to office after eight years. He promised to improve Puerto Rico's relations with Washington and abandon his past efforts to win more autonomy for the U.S. commonwealth.
NEWS
February 21, 1990 | From Associated Press
Gov. Rafael Hernandez Colon said Tuesday his government will sell the Puerto Rico Telephone Co. for at least $2 billion to pay for education reforms and development on the Caribbean island. "It is the only company which has enough value" to generate the money needed to revamp Puerto Rico's school system and the island's infrastructure, the governor said in his "State of the Nation" address.
SPORTS
July 23, 1987
An apology by Indiana basketball Coach Bob Knight for a 1979 incident in which he allegedly assaulted a San Juan policeman drew mixed reactions Wednesday in Puerto Rico. Hector Reichard, a former Puerto Rico justice secretary, said the commonwealth should not waste its time, money or energy in pursuing prosecution of Knight, who has been found guilty in absentia, sentenced to six months in jail and who could face extradition. But Sen.
NEWS
August 29, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Gov. Rafael Hernandez Colon submitted to the Puerto Rican Legislature in San Juan a bill calling for a referendum in December that would set the stage for a vote on statehood. The bill would allow the island's 3.3 million residents to vote on a constitutional amendment that would require any future plebiscite to include three options--statehood, independence or expanded commonwealth powers.
NEWS
January 8, 1992 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Rescue workers in Puerto Rico searched swollen rivers for more victims of floods and mudslides that killed at least 13 people and left 550 homeless. Civil Defense officials said 15 others were missing after the 12-hour storm Sunday that dumped up to 10 inches of rain on the island. Flooding affected 42 of Puerto Rico's 78 municipalities, and the newspaper El Nuevo Dia said the early damage estimate was about $160 million. Gov.
NEWS
October 10, 1986 | United Press International
Gov. Rafael hernandez Colon signed an executive order Thursday requiring some 20,000 public employees to take urine tests for drugs.
NEWS
October 14, 1985
Rescuers searching for survivors of a mud slide that may have killed up to 500 people in Puerto Rico last week have concluded there is no hope of finding any, Gov. Rafael Hernandez Colon said. The governor said efforts to find survivors in Mameyes, 45 miles southwest of San Juan, will stop, but that authorities will continue to search for bodies among the 275 homes that were buried under tons of clay, rocks and debris last Monday.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|