Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRalph Mora
IN THE NEWS

Ralph Mora

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1988
With jurors deadlocked 8 to 4 in favor of conviction, a mistrial was declared Thursday in the trial of an ex-convict accused of killing Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto Sarno during an attempted holdup. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge J. D. Smith declared the mistrial after jurors, who had deliberated for three days, sent the judge two notes saying they were deadlocked. "Our inability to reach a verdict is because of individual interpretations of the evidence," the second note stated.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1989 | EDWIN CHEN, Times Staff Writer
An ex-convict and admitted heroin user Friday was acquitted by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury on charges that he ordered an accomplice to shoot Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto F. Sarno during a robbery attempt two years ago. Sarno's body, with a bullet hole in the chest, was found slumped against the front door of his home in the early morning hours of Oct. 20, 1987, by his wife, Silvana. He was the owner of the Caffee Dell'Opera. "Hallelujah!"
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1989 | EDWIN CHEN, Times Staff Writer
An ex-convict and admitted heroin user Friday was acquitted by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury on charges that he ordered an accomplice to shoot Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto F. Sarno during a robbery attempt two years ago. Sarno's body, with a bullet hole in the chest, was found slumped against the front door of his home in the early morning hours of Oct. 20, 1987, by his wife, Silvana. He was the owner of the Caffee Dell'Opera. "Hallelujah!"
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1988
With jurors deadlocked 8 to 4 in favor of conviction, a mistrial was declared Thursday in the trial of an ex-convict accused of killing Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto Sarno during an attempted holdup. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge J. D. Smith declared the mistrial after jurors, who had deliberated for three days, sent the judge two notes saying they were deadlocked. "Our inability to reach a verdict is because of individual interpretations of the evidence," the second note stated.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 19, 1988 | EDWIN CHEN, Times Staff Writer
The defense attorney for murder suspect Ralph Mora asked a Los Angeles Superior Court jury Thursday to acquit his client, saying that Mora has been made a scapegoat by prosecutors who lack sufficient evidence to charge the actual killer of Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto Sarno. Attorney Richard A. Leonard, in a closing statement to the jury Thursday, also said that Mora, a convicted robber, would not have bungled what prosecutors said was a robbery attempt gone awry.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 13, 1988
A man on trial for the slaying of restaurateur Alberto Sarno during an attempted holdup testified that he had nothing to do with the shooting. When asked by his attorney, H. Elizabeth Harris, if he was involved in the killing or attempted robbery, Ralph Mora, 33, replied, "No, I wasn't." Mora denied being present when Sarno was killed last Oct. 20 outside his gated Los Feliz home after closing his Caffe Dell'Opera on North Vermont Avenue.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 27, 1988
A drug addict who allegedly boasted that he and a partner killed Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto Sarno to "shut him up" during a holdup pleaded not guilty Tuesday to murder and attempted robbery charges. Ex-convict Ralph Mora, 33, also denied two special circumstance allegations--soliciting Sarno's murder and killing him during an attempted robbery--that qualify him for a possible death penalty if convicted.
NEWS
October 30, 1987
A 33-year-old parolee has been arrested in connection with the Oct. 20 shooting death of Los Feliz area restaurateur Alberto Sarno, Los Angeles homicide detectives said today. Detectives said Ralph Mora, who had been released July 1 from Chino State Prison after serving seven years for three armed robberies, was arrested at his El Sereno home after they received a tip while investigating the case. Sarno was shot outside his home upon returning from work at Sarno's Caffe Dell'Opera.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 12, 1988
Prosecutors said Thursday that they will seek the death penalty against a drug addict charged with shooting to death restaurateur Alberto Sarno during a holdup. Deputy Dist. Atty. Sterling Norris said he disclosed the decision to seek a death sentence against ex-convict Ralph Mora, 33, during a pretrial hearing. Mora is accused of murdering Sarno, 59, during a holdup outside Sarno's gated Los Feliz home Oct. 20.
NEWS
August 25, 1989 | From Times Wire Services
An ex-convict was acquitted today of charges he ordered an accomplice to kill restaurateur Alberto Sarno to silence him during an aborted holdup at his Loz Feliz home in 1987. Ralph Mora, 34, yelled "Hallelujah!" and hugged his defense attorneys as a clerk announced that a Superior Court jury had found him not guilty of first-degree murder and attempted robbery. Members of Mora's family broke into tears and hugged one another as the acquittals were read.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 19, 1988 | EDWIN CHEN, Times Staff Writer
The defense attorney for murder suspect Ralph Mora asked a Los Angeles Superior Court jury Thursday to acquit his client, saying that Mora has been made a scapegoat by prosecutors who lack sufficient evidence to charge the actual killer of Los Feliz restaurateur Alberto Sarno. Attorney Richard A. Leonard, in a closing statement to the jury Thursday, also said that Mora, a convicted robber, would not have bungled what prosecutors said was a robbery attempt gone awry.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|