Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRancho Seco
IN THE NEWS

Rancho Seco

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
March 30, 1988 | Associated Press
The long-delayed restart of the Rancho Seco nuclear power plant began this morning, just minutes after plant officials received final approval from the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission. An electronically transmitted letter from the NRC approving the restart arrived at 6:53 a.m., said Kerry Shearer, a spokesman for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District, which owns the problem-plagued plant. The restart began at 7:04 a.m.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
December 6, 1989 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A lawsuit filed in Sacramento Superior Court seeks to halt the decommissioning of the Rancho Seco nuclear power plant until effects of the shutdown on the environment are determined. The suit contends that closing the plant will worsen air pollution in the Central Valley because of the need for gas-fired plants and other sources to replace Rancho Seco's power generation. The suit was filed on behalf of UC Davis radiobiology professor Marvin Goldman, Daniel St.
Advertisement
NEWS
March 30, 1989
A brief loss or fluctuation in the control room electrical supply is suspected of triggering the second shutdown this year of the controversial Rancho Seco nuclear power plant. Sacramento Municipal Utility District spokeswoman Karen Wilson said the 900-megawatt plant shut down automatically when malfunctioning pumps let abnormal pressure build in the primary coolant system. Initial inspections traced the problem to an "upset to main feedwater pump controls."
NEWS
October 29, 1989 | From Times staff and wire reports
Operators of the voter-closed Rancho Seco nuclear power plant in Sacramento were fined $50,000 by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for failing to properly train key workers to respond to emergencies. The Sacramento Municipal Utility District, which is shutting down the publicly owned plant, said it would pay the fine even though the problems have been corrected. The NRC found that 43 of the 77 workers belonging to the core of Rancho Seco's emergency response team were not properly trained.
NEWS
June 17, 1988 | United Press International
Directors of Sacramento's citizen-owned utility district Thursday fired General Manager Richard K. Byrne, who had advised them to close the controversial Rancho Seco nuclear power station. Carl Andognini, the engineer in charge of the nuclear plant, resigned but will remain as an adviser to the district on nuclear matters until the end of the year.
NEWS
March 30, 1988
Operators of the long-idled Rancho Seco nuclear power plant were completing last-minute tests, and officials remained hopeful that the plant would be approved for restart late Tuesday night. Kerry Shearer, spokesman for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District, owners of the plant, said operators have resolved the latest in a series of equipment malfunctions that delayed restart of the plant three times in the last week. The plant has been closed since a severe over-cooling accident Dec.
NEWS
April 30, 1986 | MARLENE CIMONS, Times Staff Writer
The Rancho Seco nuclear power plant near Sacramento has serious safety problems, and a "detailed improvement program" should be prepared before the plant is allowed to restart, a member of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission charged in a letter released Tuesday. Commissioner James K. Asselstine, quoted in a letter from NRC Chairman Nunzio J. Palladino to California Rep. Robert T. Matsui (D-Sacramento), criticized plants designed by the Babcock & Wilcox Co. as having "two strikes" against them.
NEWS
December 27, 1985 | Associated Press
Power failed Thursday in the control room of the Rancho Seco nuclear power plant and, while employees worked to fix the problem, radioactive gas was released into the atmosphere, officials said. But the amount of radioactive gas that escaped was not enough to harm anybody, according to Brad Thomas, a spokesman for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District. A control room employee got sick during the shutdown, but the cause of his illness was not determined, he said.
NEWS
September 13, 1989
Rancho Seco nuclear power plant near Sacramento, closed by voters, apparently will not be reopened soon--if ever. Directors of the Sacramento Municipal Utility District rejected a $250-million proposal by Golden State Energy Inc., a consortium headed by Quadrex Corp. of Campbell, Calif., to buy the plant and operate the power plant. Rancho Seco had suffered numerous breakdowns during its 15-year life, and voters approved a ballot measure last June 6 closing down the citizen-owned utility.
BUSINESS
September 12, 1989 | From Times Wire Services
Sacramento Municipal Utility District directors voted late Monday to reject a proposal by Quadrex Corp. to buy and restart the Rancho Seco nuclear power plant. The surprise 5-0 vote was led by director Cliff Wilcox, a longtime supporter of nuclear power and Rancho Seco, who gave a reluctant and emotional rejection of the Quadrex proposal. Wilcox said he doubts that Quadrex has either sufficient technical expertise or the money to start the plant and keep it running.
NEWS
August 28, 1989
Directors of Sacramento's citizen-owned utility district voted to slow the dismantling of the Rancho Seco nuclear power facility while they study offers by private investors to operate it. The Sacramento Municipal Utility District board closed the plant June 7, one day after voters ordered the utility to cease operating the 15-year-old facility.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 8, 1989
Your editorial correctly asserted the nuclear power industry must learn some lessons from the voters' decision to turn off the Rancho Seco nuclear plant. Here's another lesson for the list: nuclear waste. The industry went full-bore into nuclear power production before finding a safe way to dispose of deadly radioactive wastes or decommission the plants. Furthermore, nuclear power does pollute. Each year, the average 1,000-megawatt nuclear reactor produces 25 metric tons of highly radioactive wastes.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|