Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRape Japan
IN THE NEWS

Rape Japan

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
January 26, 1996 | From Associated Press
A senior airman has been charged with raping a 14-year-old American girl last month on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa, the U.S. Air Force said today. Tensions between the Okinawans and the U.S. military are already at their highest level after the rape in September of a 12-year-old Okinawan girl, for which three American servicemen are on trial.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
March 28, 2002 | From Associated Press
A court convicted a U.S. airman today of raping a Japanese woman and sentenced him to 32 months in prison, concluding a case that deepened resentment toward American troops stationed in Okinawa. Air Force Staff Sgt. Timothy B. Woodland went on trial in September after being charged with raping the 20-year-old woman in a parking lot outside a popular Okinawa nightclub June 29. Prosecutors had demanded a three-year sentence for Woodland, who was tried in Naha District Court.
Advertisement
NEWS
January 30, 1996 | HILARY E. MacGREGOR, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In final hearings Monday, prosecutors demanded a harsh sentence for the three U.S. servicemen accused of raping a 12-year-old Japanese girl. They asked for 10 years' imprisonment with hard labor--equivalent to the harshest sentence ever handed down for this type of crime by a Japanese court. Last fall's rape of the schoolgirl in Okinawa sparked a national uproar here. The girl was abducted on the way home from a store on the evening of Sept.
NEWS
July 10, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi urged the new U.S. ambassador to Japan to bolster discipline among American troops stationed in Okinawa after the arrest of an airman suspected of rape. The request came during a courtesy call that the new envoy, Howard H. Baker Jr., paid to Koizumi. Baker arrived in Japan last week. Air Force Staff Sgt. Timothy B. Woodland was arrested Friday on suspicion of rape.
NEWS
December 5, 1995 | TERESA WATANABE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Three U.S. servicemen accused of raping an Okinawa schoolgirl were painted as stellar soldiers, and one as a loving husband, as defense attorneys Monday sought to soften the men's violent image in a case that has outraged Japan. Marine Pfc. Rodrico Harp, 21, buried his head in his hands and wept as his wife, Denitrease, apologized for the crime and told the court her husband is a gentle, intelligent man who "adored" his two children. "I'm very sorry," she said, before breaking down in sobs.
NEWS
December 28, 1995 | From Associated Press
An American sailor who raped a Japanese schoolgirl reduced a court interpreter to tears Wednesday with a harrowing account of the attack and the role of two U.S. Marines. Navy Seaman Marcus Gill, 22, of Woodville, Texas, told a Japanese court that the three servicemen planned the assault together, contradicting the two Marines' testimony that Gill bullied them into carrying out the crime. "Everything is pinpointed on me.
NEWS
November 7, 1995 | DAVID HOLLEY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An American serviceman pleaded guilty Tuesday to the abduction and rape of a 12-year-old schoolgirl, in a case that galvanized sentiment against U.S. military bases on Japan's southern island of Okinawa. Navy Seaman Marcus D. Gill, 22, of Woodville, Tex., pleaded guilty to all charges against him on the opening day of the trial. Also accused in the Sept. 4 rape were Marine Pfc. Rodrico Harp, 21, of Griffin, Ga., and Marine Pfc. Kendrick M. Ledet, 20, of Waycross, Ga.
NEWS
December 29, 1995 | From Associated Press
The mothers of two U.S. Marines charged with raping a Japanese schoolgirl asked Thursday to move the trial off Okinawa, arguing that local judges are under pressure to harshly punish their sons. Final statements in the trial of three U.S. servicemen accused in the Sept. 4 attack will be delayed while a higher court considers the request, but its ruling is not likely to postpone sentencing expected in late January. The mothers, Daisey Harp and Barbara Cannon, say Okinawa Gov.
NEWS
December 12, 1995 | From Times Wire Services
One of three U.S. servicemen charged in the rape of an Okinawa schoolgirl made a trembling apology Monday, asking the court to forgive him for his role in the crime. "I'm sorry for what I've done," Marine Pfc. Rodrico Harp told the court, his voice breaking. "I'm sorry for the outrage I caused. I would feel the same way if someone had hurt my little girl."
NEWS
March 14, 1996 | From Times Wire Reports
Two of the three U.S. servicemen jailed last week in the rape of an Okinawan schoolgirl appealed their sentences, a court spokesman said. Marine Pfcs. Rodrico Harp, 21, of Griffin, Ga., and Kendrick Ledet, 20, of Waycross, Ga., appealed their respective seven- and 6 1/2-year sentences for the abduction and assault of the 12-year-old girl Sept. 4. Navy Seaman Marcus Gill, 23, of Woodville, Texas, who was sentenced to seven years, has so far not appealed.
NEWS
July 8, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
An Okinawan judge gave prosecutors 10 days to file charges against a detained U.S. serviceman accused of raping a Japanese woman on the southern island. Air Force Staff Sgt. Timothy B. Woodland was turned over to Japanese authorities and arrested Friday after an agreement with U.S. officials, who sought guarantees that his rights would be protected. Woodland, 24, has denied the allegations.
NEWS
June 29, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
A young Japanese woman was gang-raped early today by several foreign men on the island of Okinawa, where most of the U.S. military forces in Japan are based, police said. The men appeared to be members of the U.S. military, the Kyodo news agency reported, but police could not immediately confirm that. The suspects were still at large and few details were available, a police spokesman said.
NEWS
January 25, 1998 | From Times Wire Reports
Three more college rugby players, one a Teikyo University student, were arrested in the alleged gang rape of a woman during a party at a karaoke room. Earlier last week, police arrested five members of the university's rugby club on charges of raping the woman in November. The alleged victim is a 19-year-old office worker who had been invited to a party with the rugby players.
NEWS
April 3, 1997 | Reuters
An American sailor is under arrest at the headquarters base of the U.S. Navy in Japan on suspicion of beating and sexually assaulting his Japanese girlfriend in his quarters, police said today. A police spokesman said the incident at Yokosuka Naval Base on the outskirts of Tokyo did not appear to involve rape and happened during an argument between the pair. No formal charges had yet been filed.
NEWS
March 14, 1996 | From Times Wire Reports
Two of the three U.S. servicemen jailed last week in the rape of an Okinawan schoolgirl appealed their sentences, a court spokesman said. Marine Pfcs. Rodrico Harp, 21, of Griffin, Ga., and Kendrick Ledet, 20, of Waycross, Ga., appealed their respective seven- and 6 1/2-year sentences for the abduction and assault of the 12-year-old girl Sept. 4. Navy Seaman Marcus Gill, 23, of Woodville, Texas, who was sentenced to seven years, has so far not appealed.
NEWS
March 7, 1996 | TERESA WATANABE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a case that triggered national outrage over American military bases in Japan, three U.S. servicemen were found guilty today in the vicious beating and rape of a 12-year-old Okinawan girl. The three defendants--Navy Seaman Marcus Gill, 22, and Marine Pfcs. Rodrico Harp, 21, and Kendrick Ledet, 20, stared straight ahead without expressing emotion as the verdict was read, courtroom observers said.
NEWS
October 28, 1995 | ART PINE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The United States signaled Friday that it would be willing to move some of the about 29,000 U.S. troops now stationed on Okinawa to other parts of Japan if it would help ease tensions on the island after last month's rape of a schoolgirl, allegedly by U.S. servicemen. The possible troop shift was raised by Joseph S. Nye Jr., assistant secretary of defense for international security affairs, in advance of a visit to Japan next week by Defense Secretary William J.
NEWS
November 1, 1995 | DAVID HOLLEY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Defense Secretary William J. Perry pledged today that the United States will work to reduce the "intrusiveness" of its military bases on Japan's southern island of Okinawa but bluntly warned that the U.S.-Japan alliance is not without cost. Seeking to calm a nationwide uproar sparked by the rape of a 12-year-old Okinawan schoolgirl, allegedly by three U.S. servicemen, Perry told a news conference that on behalf of the entire U.S.
NEWS
January 30, 1996 | HILARY E. MacGREGOR, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In final hearings Monday, prosecutors demanded a harsh sentence for the three U.S. servicemen accused of raping a 12-year-old Japanese girl. They asked for 10 years' imprisonment with hard labor--equivalent to the harshest sentence ever handed down for this type of crime by a Japanese court. Last fall's rape of the schoolgirl in Okinawa sparked a national uproar here. The girl was abducted on the way home from a store on the evening of Sept.
NEWS
January 26, 1996 | From Associated Press
A senior airman has been charged with raping a 14-year-old American girl last month on the southern Japanese island of Okinawa, the U.S. Air Force said today. Tensions between the Okinawans and the U.S. military are already at their highest level after the rape in September of a 12-year-old Okinawan girl, for which three American servicemen are on trial.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|