Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRapes Los Angeles
IN THE NEWS

Rapes Los Angeles

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 13, 1987 | From United Press International
Two men have been sentenced to a combined 103 years in prison for raping a woman and tossing a burning Christmas tree on top of her. Cedric Harmon, 19, was sentenced on Friday to 69 years in prison by Superior Court Judge Ronald Hauptman. His co-defendant, Mark Green, also 19, was sentenced to 34 years. Prosecutors said the 26-year-old victim, a mother of three, was dragged into a Los Angeles alley Jan. 9, 1986, and gang-raped by five to seven assailants.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 6, 2000 | ZANTO PEABODY
An Antelope Valley High student accused of attempting to kill one teacher and trying to rape another could stand trial as an adult. Deputy Dist. Atty. Alan Yochelson said Wednesday a May 12 hearing will determine if the case of the 15-year-old boy, who has been detained at Sylmar Juvenile Hall since his March 27 arrest, will go before an adult court.
NEWS
November 23, 1994 | RENEE TAWA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Consider two takes on Christopher Hubbart, serial rapist. State psychologist No. 1: He is a bright, shy 43-year-old man who is trying to control his sexual urges, and is truly sorry for his 34 victims. State psychologist No. 2: He is dangerous, unable to control his sexual urges and can be counted on to rape again.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 25, 1985
A 24-year-old South-Central Los Angeles man has been sentenced to 171 years in prison for a series of brutal abductions, robberies and rapes. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Kathleen Parker on Friday imposed the term on Edwin Mauldin, who was convicted of attacking 13 South-Central and Inglewood area women in a late-1982 crime spree. The prosecutor, Deputy Dist. Atty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 7, 2014 | By Richard Winton
A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge ordered ex-NFL star Darren Sharper to remain in custody, but warned New Orleans officials that he cannot continue to be held indefinitely. Sharper is being without bail on a New Orleans police arrest warrant for two rapes. Los Angeles Judge Renee Korn said that he must be charged by New Orleans prosecutors or the Louisiana governor must seek his extradition. She set a new hearing on the case for March 13.  Sharper, 38, has been charged by Los Angeles prosecutors with seven rape and drug counts in connection with two alleged attacks in Hollywood.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 2, 1994 | MARK SABBATINI, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
The number of serious crimes reported in the Santa Clarita Valley fell 3% during the first half of 1994 compared to the same period last year. But violent offenses went up, including a 57% increase in the number of reported rapes, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials said Monday. The latest figures indicate that law enforcement officials efforts have reduced robberies and burglaries, a major crime worry last year, said Capt.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 27, 1999
The Rape Treatment Center at Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center opened an emergency care facility Wednesday that will provide free 24-hour medical help. Authorities said the faster medical care, and gathering of evidence, could lead to more successful prosecutions of rape cases.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 16, 1994
More than 250 city leaders and residents rallied in front of City Hall on Tuesday evening to decry the possible release of a serial rapist into the college community. The Department of Corrections plans to release Christopher Evans Hubbart on parole if he passes a psychological examination. "They can't release him if they are afraid for his safety.
NEWS
August 6, 1990 | ERIC BAILEY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A man suspected of being the tattooed rapist, who bore a teardrop-shaped tattoo under his left eye and is blamed for a series of rapes in Los Angeles and other cities in California during the 1980s, has been arrested in Iowa, authorities said Sunday. Frank Everett Comstock, 46, was arrested in a motel in Williams by FBI agents and local sheriff's deputies after they got a tip Saturday that he was in the small farm town, authorities said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 16, 2013 | By Jack Leonard
A state appellate court Tuesday rejected an attempt by Los Angeles County prosecutors to stop a convicted serial rapist from being released in the county. The panel of three appellate justices denied the legal request without comment. A Los Angeles County district attorney's spokeswoman said prosecutors were evaluating their options to continue the effort to stop Christopher Evans Hubbart from being conditionally freed in the county. The office argued in legal papers filed last week with the state's 6th Appellate District that Hubbart, 62, should be released in Santa Clara County, where he committed his most recent crimes.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|