November 17, 1988 |
Pollution may have turned a western Ukrainian city where children's hair is falling out into a "poisonous trap," a Soviet newspaper said Wednesday. Most of the children of Chernovtsy have been evacuated from the city, and officials said they should not return until the source of the pollution is found, the weekly Literary Gazette reported. The city of 214,000 is near the Romanian border, about 675 miles southwest of Moscow.
February 17, 1991 |
Days after Peggy Carr sipped from a poisoned eight-pack of Coca-Cola, her hair began to fall out, her feet felt like fire and she could no longer walk. Before lapsing into a 3-month coma from which she would never awake, she kept asking "Why?" It's a question investigators spent more than two years trying to answer and prosecutors a month trying to prove. Earlier this month, a jury convicted the meek, self-styled genius who lived next door, George James Trepal.
August 5, 1986 |
"Would you accept rat poison from a friend?" Marques Johnson asked a group of kids at Will Rogers Park in Watts. "No," the kids answered. "Then why take drugs?" Johnson asked. "Drugs are a lot worse than rat poison. At least with rat poison, you die fast. But drugs are a slow death." Johnson, the Clippers' star forward-guard who went through a drug rehabilitation center four years ago, before he was traded from Milwaukee, speaks from experience. "I hit them with a hard message.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 17, 1985 |
In Kie Bumgarner's backyard, orange-laden branches drooped toward the ground; pale green leaves clustered on a nearby bottleneck tree; gardening equipment was arranged neatly on an outdoor shelf. And dangling from one of the power lines that converge on his Tudor-style house was the stiffened corpse of a 12-inch gray rat. "Caught him night before last," Bumgarner said with satisfaction. The Bumgarner elevated wire-supported rodent trap, U.S. Patent 4477997, had apparently struck again.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 23, 1986 |
The bare floorboards creaked as Jose Gomez trudged up the stairs of the apartment building where he lives, avoiding the rat poison lining the sides of the steps. He walked around a pile of empty beer bottles and stopped to look at a neighbor's ceiling that had collapsed from a water leak. For nine years, the 44-year-old garment worker has called the building just outside downtown a "terrible" place to live, with its dirt, trash, leaking pipes and exposed wiring.
April 5, 2013
Poison-control centers receive about 15,000 calls a year from parents of children younger than 6 who have been exposed to poison that was intended to kill rats or mice, according to a January report by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. A disproportionate number of those children are black and Latino, and living in poverty. The EPA's concern about exposure extends to cats, dogs and wildlife as well. The so-called second-generation rodenticides that have been developed in recent years leave high concentrations of toxins in the bodies of rodents, which renders their carcasses poisonous to pets, birds of prey and other animals that eat them.
April 9, 2013
Re "Ban super rat poisons," Editorial, April 5 Reckitt Benckiser, the maker of d-CON pesticides, is challenging the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's attempt to stop the sale of second-generation rodenticides because we believe it is the right thing to do for consumers. Rodent infestations are a threat to public health, and if the EPA's actions were to take effect, the alternatives for consumers would include products that contain a powerful neurotoxin with no known antidote (unlike d-CON products)
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 2, 2001
I was shocked that in these supposedly environmentally conscious times the national parks department is planning to airdrop poison onto Anacapa Island to exterminate a population of black rats. The anticoagulant poison causes lengthy pain and suffering to all its victims. This chemical is not approved by the EPA for wilderness use, but somehow an exemption was received for Anacapa Island. The problem is the environmental domino effect. The poison will travel through the entire food chain, killing more than the targeted rats.
March 24, 2007 |
Rat poison was identified Friday as the substance suspected of contaminating pet food that has killed or sickened dogs and cats across the nation, although it is still unclear how the deadly chemical got into the food. Federal officials, meanwhile, reported an expanded recall of dog and cat food produced by Menu Foods of Ontario, Canada.
March 31, 2007 |
The bad news for animal lovers Friday was that an industrial chemical was found in recalled pet food, but the worst news was that authorities still didn't know why hundreds of dogs and cats in North America fell ill or died. The Food and Drug Administration said its tests of pet food made by Menu Foods Income Fund of Ontario, Canada, turned up melamine, a chemical used to make plastic, glue, fertilizer and paint.