Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRaymond Buckey
IN THE NEWS

Raymond Buckey

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
May 17, 1989 | LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writer
After listening silently for five years to accusations against her in the McMartin Pre-School case, defendant Peggy McMartin Buckey took the witness stand Tuesday and told the jury in a clear, strong voice that she "never" molested a child. Quickly dispensing with the tedious questions that have characterized the proceedings, Buckey's attorney, Dean Gits, went straight to the point. First he pinned up photos of the four children who have accused her and then, pointing to the color glossies, asked: "Did you ever molest any of those children?"
ARTICLES BY DATE
ENTERTAINMENT
January 13, 1995 | DANIEL HOWARD CERONE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Nearly five years after the longest and costliest criminal trial in American history was put to rest, the sensational McMartin Pre-School child molestation case is being reopened for a TV movie. Falling on unsympathetic ears are the cries of protest from parents and former students of the old Manhattan Beach preschool, who have worked hard to close that painful chapter in their lives.
Advertisement
NEWS
December 6, 1988
Key McMartin molestation case defendant Raymond Buckey, who has been behind bars for nearly five years, moved a step closer to freedom today when a Superior Court judge cut his bail in half, to $1.5 million. Judge William Pounders also reduced bail for Buckey's mother, Peggy McMartin Buckey, who is free, to $295,000. Defense attorney Daniel Davis said that the reduced bail for Raymond Buckey is still beyond reach but that he will attempt to raise $3 million in property in lieu of $1.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 15, 1992
An ex-television reporter and the therapist whose questioning of young children led to the infamous McMartin Pre-School trial were dismissed Tuesday from a lawsuit filed by Raymond Buckey, a defendant in that criminal prosecution.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 27, 1985 | LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writer
Testifying under new court guidelines intended to streamline the lengthy proceedings in the McMartin Pre-School molestation case, an 8-year-old girl told in a wispy voice Tuesday of having been raped, photographed, tied up and placed in a dark closet by her teachers five years ago.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 7, 1988 | LOIS TIMNICK, Staff Writer
Raymond Buckey, the chief defendant in the McMartin Pre-School molestation case, moved a step closer to freedom Tuesday when a Los Angeles Superior Court judge cut his bail in half to $1.5 million. Judge William Pounders said, "It has been all year long a concern to me that Mr. Buckey is still incarcerated." The judge said he now believes that the $3-million bail he set last December was excessive because it was so far beyond the defendant's reach.
NEWS
July 22, 1987 | CAROL McGRAW and LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writers
Accused child molester Raymond Buckey will take the witness stand in his own defense in the McMartin Pre-School molestation case, his lawyer told the jury in his opening statement Tuesday. "He (Buckey) will reveal all he knows about this case," attorney Daniel Davis said. "Please consider that there are victims on both sides."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 9, 1988 | STEPHEN BRAUN, Times Staff Writer
The judge overseeing the McMartin Pre-School molestation trial agreed Tuesday to order strict jail isolation for defendant Raymond Buckey after learning from a defense attorney that Buckey's new neighbor in confinement is Leslie White, an informant who has claimed that inmates are able to fabricate jail-house confessions. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William R.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 11, 1987 | LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writer
Prosecutors in the McMartin Pre-School molestation trial introduced new evidence Thursday which they say shows that the mother and grandmother of chief defendant Raymond Buckey knew years before he was arrested that he was a child molester. Prosecutors said the evidence also shows that Buckey had received regular counseling for several years for his "problem."
NEWS
July 22, 1987 | CAROL McGRAW and LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writers
Accused child molester Raymond Buckey will take the witness stand in his own "common sense defense" in the McMartin Pre-School case, defense attorney Daniel Davis promised the jury as he concluded his opening statement Tuesday. "He will provide information that hasn't been revealed in this case about why the charges may be false," Davis said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 1991
A retired judge will decide whether Raymond Buckey's $20-million wrongful-prosecution suit in the McMartin Pre-School molestation case should proceed. Lawyers for the parties agreed Friday that retired appellate court Justice Campbell Lucas should rule on a defense motion to dismiss the suit. The move was designed to avoid expected delays in Superior Court Judge William Burby's Los Angeles courtroom. The agreement was disclosed Monday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 2, 1990 | LOIS TIMNICK, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a low-key, anticlimactic court hearing Wednesday, a judge finally spoke the words McMartin Pre-School molestation defendant Ray Buckey had waited seven years to hear: "The case of the People vs. Raymond Buckey is hereby dismissed and the defendant is discharged," Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stanley Weisberg said. "All right, that's it. That completes this case."
NEWS
July 29, 1990 | Lois Timnick, Times staff writers Paul Feldman, Shawn Hubler, Carol McGraw and Lois Timnick did the reporting for this story. It was written by Timnick.
Nightmares, fears, shadows on the nursery wall. Imprisonment and bankruptcy. Suicide. Exploitation. Careers and friendships destroyed. Childhoods lost. A cloud over the sun-drenched beach town that spawned the largest molestation trial in history. The McMartin Pre-School case was, in the words of one parent, "a seven-year walk through hell" for everyone involved.
NEWS
July 28, 1990 | PAUL FELDMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After seven years and two contentious trials, Dist. Atty. Ira Reiner did not bother waiting for the McMartin jury to return to decide that the longest and costliest case in American history was over. If the jury could not reach a verdict, he told high-level prosecutors earlier this week, then he would: There would be no third trial.
NEWS
July 28, 1990 | LOIS TIMNICK, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A mistrial was declared Friday in the retrial of McMartin Pre-School molestation defendant Ray Buckey after the jury said it was "hopelessly and irreversibly hung" on all eight counts. "It is clear to me that the jury will not reach a verdict in this case," Superior Court Judge Stanley Weisberg announced after polling the 12 jurors. "Therefore, it is a legal necessity to declare a mistrial, and I do so." Dist. Atty.
NEWS
July 28, 1990 | CAROL McGRAW, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For 15 days the jurors sat in a cramped room on the 11th floor of the courthouse, wading through reams of conflicting testimony. They weighed the children's fanciful flights of imagination against their testimony of unspeakable acts, and wrestled endlessly with unfamiliar legal and medical definitions, not to mention each other.
NEWS
January 18, 1986 | PAUL FELDMAN and LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writers
All charges against five of the seven defendants in the McMartin Pre-School molestation case were dropped Friday by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office, which said it did not have sufficient evidence to prove the five guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Only nursery school teacher Raymond Buckey, 27, the key defendant, who faces 79 molestation counts, and his mother, Peggy McMartin Buckey, 59, who is accused of 20 counts, will stand trial. Both also face one count of conspiracy.
NEWS
March 15, 1990 | BOB SIPCHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Raymond Buckey, the only remaining defendant in the McMartin Preschool child abuse case, is spilling his guts. But in his first, extensive print interview since a jury acquitted Buckey and his mother on 52 charges of child molestation, he portrays himself as a victim, rather than a criminal.
NEWS
July 28, 1990 | TERRY PRISTIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
As his seven-year ordeal ended Friday with the ambiguity of a mistrial rather than the finality of an acquittal, the nation's most-famous accused child molester was more philosophical than jubilant, saying vindication was not something he needed nor anything he sought. "I look at it that I'm innocent until I'm proven guilty," Ray Buckey told reporters outside the Los Angeles Superior Court minutes after the mistrial was announced in what remained of the McMartin Pre-School molestation case.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 1990
Jurors in the retrial of McMartin Pre-School molestation defendant Ray Buckey, now in their 14th day of deliberations, spent Wednesday listening to a re-reading of testimony from a pediatrician who examined the alleged child victims and said she found physical evidence of sexual abuse. The re-read by the court reporter will continue this morning in the jury room. Buckey and lawyers for both sides have waived their right to be present.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|