Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRefugees Rwanda
IN THE NEWS

Refugees Rwanda

NEWS
May 5, 1997 | From Reuters
More than 100 Hutu refugees suffocated or were crushed to death Sunday in a train carrying them from a refugee camp in Zaire to be airlifted home to Rwanda, a U.N. official said. Aid workers and journalists saw dozens of bodies tumbling from open railroad cars as the train carrying them from Biaro, about 25 miles away, pulled into Kisangani station in northeastern Zaire. The weak, children and dozens of desperately ill adults aboard had been forced to the bottom of the cars in the crush.
Advertisement
NEWS
May 3, 1997 | Reuters
Zairian rebels who abducted 52 sick Rwandan Hutu refugee children from a hospital kept them in a container van without food or water and beat some before releasing them five days later, U.N. agencies said Friday. The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees said it had asked the Tutsi-dominated rebels, who face growing charges of human rights abuses and violence against the refugees, to explain the abduction and mistreatment. U.N.
NEWS
May 1, 1997 | From Associated Press
Rebels dumped truckloads and trainloads of sick and starving refugees on unprepared aid workers, who flew 236 children home to Rwanda on Wednesday and struggled to deal with the rest. In the squalid camps south of this northeastern Zairian city, refugees fought for biscuits, famished after days hiding in the jungle. Many were sick with cholera and malaria. A mother at a Kisangani transit camp clung to her dead child. "This is a chaos," U.N.
NEWS
April 29, 1997 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
U.N. officials Monday called it an act of "utmost barbarism": In the middle of the night, soldiers burst into a hospital in eastern Zaire where 50 severely malnourished Rwandan children were receiving emergency food and threw them "like sacks of potatoes" onto the back of a truck to be driven away to an unknown fate.
NEWS
April 28, 1997 | From Associated Press
The leader of Zaire's rebels ordered up to 100,000 Rwandan Hutu refugees out of the country Sunday, giving the United Nations two months to track them down and send them home. Laurent Kabila promised that international officials will have full access to search for the tens of thousands of refugees, whose fate remained unknown after they dispersed into the jungle when their camps allegedly came under attack last week. A few hundred refugees had been found.
NEWS
April 27, 1997 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The mysterious flight of more than 85,000 Rwandan refugees into the Zairian rain forest began when machete-wielding villagers stormed their camps Monday, followed the next morning by uniformed troops opening fire without warning, according to accounts given to journalists Saturday. For a second straight day, international aid workers failed to find the main body of ethnic Hutu refugees despite a series of aerial searches.
NEWS
April 26, 1997 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
At least 85,000 Rwandan refugees have vanished mysteriously from two camps in eastern Zaire, raising fears that they have been killed or sent on a death march that could begin a new chapter of genocide in Central Africa, aid officials said Friday. "There was a departure in panic," said Paul Stromberg, a spokesman for the U.N. refugee agency in the eastern city of Kisangani, where he was interviewed by telephone.
NEWS
April 25, 1997 | From Times Wire Services
A United Nations team Thursday discovered that up to 55,000 Rwandan Hutu refugees are missing from a camp in eastern Zaire, and the team was blocked by rebels from a wider search. Not a single Rwandan refugee--dead or alive--could be found at Kasese camp, south of the city of Kisangani. Last week bodies draped in blankets had been laid out in lines at the camp, and many sick refugees there were too weak to walk even one step. "I'm absolutely shocked. There was a camp here four days ago.
NEWS
April 21, 1997 | From Times Wire Reports
A United Nations plan to repatriate Rwandan Hutu refugees, already delayed by logistics problems, disease and local opposition, was further postponed until at least May. Yagi Sitolo, governor of the eastern Upper Zaire province, said the repatriation should not start until May 5 because of a cholera epidemic. Sitolo intervened last week to delay a plan to start an airlift this weekend of up to 100,000 Rwandan Hutu refugees from two camps south of Kisangani in eastern Zaire.
NEWS
April 19, 1997 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In an ominous development threatening more than 100,000 exhausted Rwandan refugees facing starvation and disease in eastern Zaire, rebels blocked the United Nations on Friday from starting a massive airlift to carry them home. The Hutu refugees have been on the run since 1994 and are on their last legs, dying at a rate of about 60 a day, although that rate is half that reported earlier this month. Officials of the Office of the U.N.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|