Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRelief Bangladesh
IN THE NEWS

Relief Bangladesh

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
September 21, 1988
The U.N. World Food Program announced it has exhausted its emergency food reserve for 1988 and appealed for contributions. Executive Director James Ingram called on the program's 104 participating nations to provide at least 300,000 tons of food the program needs before the end of the year. The U.N. agency allocates about 30% of its budget to buy food, which it stores for emergencies. The other 70% is spent on implementing development projects using food pledged and stored by donor countries.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
September 22, 1988
A U.S. assessment of heavily flooded Bangladesh concluded that the Asian nation will need massive and continuous relief from other countries for the foreseeable future. Washington has authorized $160 million in disaster assistance for Bangladesh, much of it for food. The study, sent to President Reagan by the Agency for International Development, also warned that unless long-range flood control programs are developed, recurrent widespread flooding "is virtually inevitable."
Advertisement
NEWS
April 30, 1993 | TOM GORMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Mention Air Force and the images are conjured: feisty fighters, brawny bombers. Stealth. Sleek and hot. Dogfights and artillery flak. F-14s and B1s. Bullets and bombs. And so it could easily have gone unnoticed: The decidedly unsexy 53rd Airlift Squadron--crews who fly a bunch of old, lumbering, utilitarian cargo planes--is being retired today at Norton Air Force Base. The squadron is the latest to be disbanded at Norton, pegged in 1988 in the first of three rounds of base closures.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|