Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRichard Coughlin
IN THE NEWS

Richard Coughlin

FEATURED ARTICLES
ENTERTAINMENT
November 24, 1990 | CHRIS PASLES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Little did Father Richard Coughlin expect that the All-American Boys' Chorus he founded in 1970 would be going strong two decades later. "I don't really know what I expected at the beginning," Coughlin, a Roman Catholic priest, said in a recent interview from the internationally known choir's headquarters here. The choir will sing a Christmas concert Sunday afternoon at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. "I was hoping I could start something that would endure," Coughlin continued.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 9, 1995 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For a third time, the Catholic priest who directed the All-American Boys Chorus is the target of a suit by a former chorus member who alleges he was sexually molested. * The suit names Father Richard T. Coughlin, who was the chorus director and an associate priest at St. Martin's and St. Anthony's churches. Eric Zapala, 33, charged in an amended complaint filed Wednesday in Orange County Superior Court that he was molested from 1972 to 1974, but that he repressed the memory until recently.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 3, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Catholic Church officials in Boston said Friday they alerted the Diocese of Orange at least five years ago that Father Richard T. Coughlin, then director of the All-American Boys Chorus, had been accused of molesting a Massachusetts youth. Coughlin was suspended in January from his duties as a priest and ordered to end all ties with the singing group after five men alleged he molested them as youths from 10 to 30 years ago.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 9, 1993
The All-American Boys Chorus has been named a defendant in a Superior Court suit by a former member who alleges he was sexually molested by the founder of the Costa Mesa-based chorus. Patrick O'Neill, who is in his late 20s, also names Father Richard T. Coughlin and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange as defendants. The suit did not name the chorus, Coughlin or the diocese as defendants when it was first filed in April. The names were added last week.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Massachusetts man whose allegations of molestation against a priest helped propel an investigation in Orange County last year contends that he first alerted church officials in Boston in 1985 but that nothing came of it. David L. Coleman, now 45 and a resident of Eastham, Mass., alleged that Father Richard T. Coughlin fondled him several times while he was a student at a Catholic school in Stoneham, Mass., where Coughlin worked before eventually moving to California.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 9, 1993
The All-American Boys Chorus has been named a defendant in a Superior Court suit by a former member who alleges he was sexually molested by the founder of the Costa Mesa-based chorus. Patrick O'Neill, who is in his late 20s, also names Father Richard T. Coughlin and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange as defendants. The suit did not name the chorus, Coughlin or the diocese as defendants when it was first filed in April. The names were added last week.
NEWS
February 10, 1993 | RICK VANDERKNYFF, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
When Father Richard T. Coughlin started the All-American Boys Chorus in 1970, he had visions of an organization that would last for centuries. Coughlin was teaching at St. Anthony Claret parish school in Anaheim when he first assembled the group and started rehearsals. The early result was "chaos," he said later, but several youngsters from that group became the core of what was to become the All-American Boys Chorus.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 12, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
More than 120 people, including parents and past and current members of the All-American Boys Chorus, gathered at a special meeting Thursday night to discuss sexual molestation allegations against the choir's suspended director, Father Richard T. Coughlin.
NEWS
February 11, 1993 | DAVID HALDANE and ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Parents, associates and former members of the All-American Boys Chorus reacted with shock and disbelief Wednesday to allegations that Father Richard T. Coughlin, the popular founding director of the choir, sexually molested four of its members and one other youth 10 to 30 years ago. "I am absolutely flabbergasted," said Keith Evans, owner of Evans Associates, a Studio City entertainment production company that has been booking concerts for the choir since 1986. "I think this is slander.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 17, 1993 | Dana Parsons
I grew up on the Protestant side of the tracks, catching only occasional glimpses of Catholic priests. What I saw from a distance intrigued me. While Methodist ministers dressed like insurance men and picked up their kids after school, priests wore their calling on their sleeves (or around their necks) and lived . . . where? I never met a priest I didn't like. Old ones seemed kindly, the young ones cool.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 3, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Catholic Church officials in Boston said Friday they alerted the Diocese of Orange at least five years ago that Father Richard T. Coughlin, then director of the All-American Boys Chorus, had been accused of molesting a Massachusetts youth. Coughlin was suspended in January from his duties as a priest and ordered to end all ties with the singing group after five men alleged he molested them as youths from 10 to 30 years ago.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Massachusetts man whose allegations of molestation against a priest helped propel an investigation in Orange County last year contends that he first alerted church officials in Boston in 1985 but that nothing came of it. David L. Coleman, now 45 and a resident of Eastham, Mass., alleged that Father Richard T. Coughlin fondled him several times while he was a student at a Catholic school in Stoneham, Mass., where Coughlin worked before eventually moving to California.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 17, 1993 | Dana Parsons
I grew up on the Protestant side of the tracks, catching only occasional glimpses of Catholic priests. What I saw from a distance intrigued me. While Methodist ministers dressed like insurance men and picked up their kids after school, priests wore their calling on their sleeves (or around their necks) and lived . . . where? I never met a priest I didn't like. Old ones seemed kindly, the young ones cool.
NEWS
February 14, 1993 | DAVID HALDANE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
When the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange revealed allegations of sexual misconduct by a local priest last week, it confronted a sensitive issue the church has been criticized for historically ignoring. However, church leaders stunned by a series of shocking revelations nationwide involving priests and children over the past few years have begun to boldly face the problem. As part of their new effort, leaders will gather with priests, researchers and social workers in St.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 13, 1993 | DAVID HALDANE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A man who contends that he was repeatedly molested by Father Richard T. Coughlin as a youth in 1978 and 1979 has become the sixth person to come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against the founder and former director of the All-American Boys Chorus. Matthew Roehl, a choir member from 1977 to 1980, told The Times on Friday that Coughlin kissed him passionately on the lips "dozens of times" when he was 13 or 14 and a member of the chorus.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 12, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
More than 120 people, including parents and past and current members of the All-American Boys Chorus, gathered at a special meeting Thursday night to discuss sexual molestation allegations against the choir's suspended director, Father Richard T. Coughlin.
NEWS
February 10, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG and MARLA CONE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A prominent Orange County priest who founded an internationally known boys' chorus has been suspended from his priestly duties and ordered to sever all ties with the singing group amid allegations that he sexually molested five youths from 10 to 30 years ago. Father Richard T. Coughlin, 68, longtime director of the All-American Boys Chorus, denied the charges, saying he "can't recollect anything" that could have led to the allegations. A Jan.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 13, 1993 | DAVID HALDANE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A man who contends that he was repeatedly molested by Father Richard T. Coughlin as a youth in 1978 and 1979 has become the sixth person to come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against the founder and former director of the All-American Boys Chorus. Matthew Roehl, a choir member from 1977 to 1980, told The Times on Friday that Coughlin kissed him passionately on the lips "dozens of times" when he was 13 or 14 and a member of the chorus.
NEWS
February 11, 1993 | ERIC YOUNG and DAN WEIKEL, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A board member of the All-American Boys Chorus acknowledged Wednesday that he was told nearly three years ago about allegations of sexual misconduct involving Father Richard T. Coughlin, who has been removed as director of the famous singing group. Board member Anthony S. Manrique said the alleged victim, Joe Beckman, 32, discussed Coughlin during a meeting in early 1990 between himself, Coughlin and Gregory S. Smet, a former chorus member and current board member.
NEWS
February 11, 1993 | DAVID HALDANE and ERIC YOUNG, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Parents, associates and former members of the All-American Boys Chorus reacted with shock and disbelief Wednesday to allegations that Father Richard T. Coughlin, the popular founding director of the choir, sexually molested four of its members and one other youth 10 to 30 years ago. "I am absolutely flabbergasted," said Keith Evans, owner of Evans Associates, a Studio City entertainment production company that has been booking concerts for the choir since 1986. "I think this is slander.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|