Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRincon Indian Reservation
IN THE NEWS

Rincon Indian Reservation

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 2, 1988
A fast-moving brush fire was burning out of control and threatening structures late Thursday on the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido, authorities reported. More than 350 firefighters from fire departments in San Diego, Escondido, Santee, Lakeside, El Cajon, La Mesa and Lemon Grove were assisting the California Department of Forestry with the blaze, which was burning in a southwesterly direction. Flames had consumed 300 acres of brush by 9:30 p.m.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
January 21, 1992 | ALAN ABRAHAMSON and PAUL LIEBERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
No stranger at playing hide-and-seek with the federal government, reputed mobster Chris Petti preferred in recent years to do business from the sanctity of some two dozen public pay phones scattered around San Diego. The only place more secure, it seemed, was his lawyer's office. According to an FBI informant, Petti, considered the Chicago Mafia's top contact in Southern California, was "paranoid" about being wiretapped.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 9, 1988
Two brothers were killed and a third person wounded in a shooting at the Rincon Indian Reservation, authorities said. Dupty Coroner Dan Matticks identified the dead as Stanley Bruce Calac, 26, and Frank Dion Calac, 17, both residents of the northern San Diego County reservation. A third man, Jack Musick, 26, was injured in the Sunday night shooting. He was treated for a hand wound and released from Palomar Medical Center in Escondido.
NEWS
January 11, 1992 | BARRY M. HORSTMAN and PAUL LIEBERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Reputed San Diego mobster Chris Petti and nine other men, including a top local defense lawyer and the alleged bosses of the Chicago mob, were named Friday in a federal indictment charging that organized crime tried to infiltrate gambling operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation.
NEWS
January 11, 1992 | BARRY M. HORSTMAN and PAUL LIEBERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Reputed San Diego mobster Chris Petti and nine other men, including a top local defense lawyer and the alleged bosses of the Chicago mob, were named Friday in a federal indictment charging that organized crime tried to infiltrate gambling operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 22, 1985 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
Bingo operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation in northeast San Diego County have been halted, and the payroll and prizes have gone unpaid amid allegations that the tribe has not received its proper share of profits generated by more than $10 million in revenue. The state attorney general's office in San Diego says it is investigating accusations of mismanagement and there is talk on the reservation of impeaching the current tribal leadership for alleged mismanagement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 6, 1987 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
High-stakes bingo at the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido again has been discontinued, with the third manager in three years pulling up stakes. The tribe will decide Sunday whether to resume the games under yet another manager.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 16, 1987 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
The embattled bingo and poker operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido are again under siege--this time from the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Indians themselves. BIA officials in Riverside say the poker casino failed to receive the necessary federal blessing to open last October because a poker management contract between the Indians and a private management company was not first reviewed and approved by the BIA.
NEWS
October 7, 1991 | PAUL LIEBERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Chris Petti got the good news three days before Christmas, 1987: His move to take over gambling on the Rincon Reservation had been approved at the very top of the Chicago Mafia. "They wanna go with that thing," Mike Caracci told him. "They wanna get a foothold down where you're at." The call followed a familiar pattern. Caracci rang Petti's San Diego home and gave him a number. Petti hurried across the street, to a pay phone outside a 7-Eleven, and dialed it.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 21, 1985 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
Bingo operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido have been halted, and the payroll and prizes have gone unpaid, amid concerns about the accounting for $10 million in revenue. The state attorney general's office in San Diego says it is investigating accusations of mismanagement and there is talk on the reservation of impeaching the tribal leadership for being unaccountable for the bingo books. "The tribe's on the warpath.
NEWS
October 7, 1991 | PAUL LIEBERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Chris Petti got the good news three days before Christmas, 1987: His move to take over gambling on the Rincon Reservation had been approved at the very top of the Chicago Mafia. "They wanna go with that thing," Mike Caracci told him. "They wanna get a foothold down where you're at." The call followed a familiar pattern. Caracci rang Petti's San Diego home and gave him a number. Petti hurried across the street, to a pay phone outside a 7-Eleven, and dialed it.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 2, 1988
A fast-moving brush fire was burning out of control and threatening structures late Thursday on the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido, authorities reported. More than 350 firefighters from fire departments in San Diego, Escondido, Santee, Lakeside, El Cajon, La Mesa and Lemon Grove were assisting the California Department of Forestry with the blaze, which was burning in a southwesterly direction. Flames had consumed 300 acres of brush by 9:30 p.m.
NEWS
February 9, 1988
Two brothers were killed and a third person wounded in a shooting at the Rincon Indian Reservation, authorities said. Dupty Coroner Dan Matticks identified the dead as Stanley Bruce Calac, 26, and Frank Dion Calac, 17, both residents of the northern San Diego County reservation. A third man, Jack Musick, 26, was injured in the Sunday night shooting. He was treated for a hand wound and released from Palomar Medical Center in Escondido.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 6, 1987 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
High-stakes bingo at the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido again has been discontinued, with the third manager in three years pulling up stakes. The tribe will decide Sunday whether to resume the games under yet another manager.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 16, 1987 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
The embattled bingo and poker operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido are again under siege--this time from the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Indians themselves. BIA officials in Riverside say the poker casino failed to receive the necessary federal blessing to open last October because a poker management contract between the Indians and a private management company was not first reviewed and approved by the BIA.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 22, 1985 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
Bingo operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation in northeast San Diego County have been halted, and the payroll and prizes have gone unpaid amid allegations that the tribe has not received its proper share of profits generated by more than $10 million in revenue. The state attorney general's office in San Diego says it is investigating accusations of mismanagement and there is talk on the reservation of impeaching the current tribal leadership for alleged mismanagement.
NEWS
January 21, 1992 | ALAN ABRAHAMSON and PAUL LIEBERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
No stranger at playing hide-and-seek with the federal government, reputed mobster Chris Petti preferred in recent years to do business from the sanctity of some two dozen public pay phones scattered around San Diego. The only place more secure, it seemed, was his lawyer's office. According to an FBI informant, Petti, considered the Chicago Mafia's top contact in Southern California, was "paranoid" about being wiretapped.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 13, 1991
A Valley Center gang member accused of killing another man affiliated with the gang was ordered Thursday to stand trial on one count of murder. Felix Mendoza, who is known as Gato by other members of the Diablos gang, is charged with stabbing to death 18-year-old Jacob John Balderama on Aug. 31 in Escondido, authorities said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 21, 1985 | TOM GORMAN, Times Staff Writer
Bingo operations at the Rincon Indian Reservation northeast of Escondido have been halted, and the payroll and prizes have gone unpaid, amid concerns about the accounting for $10 million in revenue. The state attorney general's office in San Diego says it is investigating accusations of mismanagement and there is talk on the reservation of impeaching the tribal leadership for being unaccountable for the bingo books. "The tribe's on the warpath.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|