Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRobert Blakeley
IN THE NEWS

Robert Blakeley

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 18, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The second of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's Calabasas/Malibu fire refused to answer questions before a grand jury Tuesday, and a contractor who helped him and the other firefighter in the first few minutes of the blaze also appeared. Steven R. Shelp, 29, refused to answer questions on the advice of his lawyer.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 18, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The second of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's Calabasas/Malibu fire refused to answer questions before a grand jury Tuesday, and a contractor who helped him and the other firefighter in the first few minutes of the blaze also appeared. Steven R. Shelp, 29, refused to answer questions on the advice of his lawyer.
Advertisement
NEWS
May 13, 1994 | JIM NEWTON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A man who says he is the mysterious "plumber" pictured in photographs of the Calabasas/Malibu fire came forward Thursday with an account that could dramatically bolster the statements given by two volunteer firefighters who have been accused of setting that blaze. "Those guys were fighting the fire, helping out the burn victim," a man who identified himself as Robert Blakeley said in a telephone interview with The Times on Thursday night.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 17, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
One of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's deadly Calabasas/Malibu fire and a friend with whom he had spoken a few hours after the blaze started appeared before the Los Angeles County Grand Jury on Monday. Nicholas A. Durepo spent about five minutes before the grand jury, declining to answer any questions on the advice of his lawyer. Durepo, 24, and Steven R. Shelp, 29, have been identified by Sheriff's Department investigators as suspects in the Nov.
NEWS
May 22, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
As authorities continue their investigation into whether two firefighters started last year's devastating Calabasas/Malibu fire, a key witness who emerged recently said he is leaving town temporarily to escape the high-pressure atmosphere surrounding the case. Sources close to the grand jury hearing testimony in the case said Friday that more witnesses will be called. Earlier, authorities had said they expected the grand jury to wrap up its work during two all-day sessions last week.
NEWS
July 30, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Friday it does not have enough evidence to prosecute two firefighters named last fall as suspects in one of the worst wildfires in Southern California history. The announcement at a Friday afternoon news conference came several weeks after lawyers for the two suspects--Steven R. Shelp and Nicholas A. Durepo--called on prosecutors to either charge their clients or publicly exonerate them.
NEWS
May 15, 1994 | JOSH MEYER and JIM NEWTON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
With a potentially significant new witness in tow, authorities Saturday toured the area where last year's Calabasas/Malibu fire started, asking him an array of detailed questions and re-enacting the fire's opening minutes on videotape. Robert Blakeley, who emerged from anonymity this week with new information about the fire, fielded 90 minutes of questions from two Los Angeles County sheriff's investigators, Jerome Beck and Mark Winters, and from Deputy Dist. Atty. Sally Thomas.
NEWS
May 14, 1994 | JOSH MEYER and JIM NEWTON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Confronted with the sudden appearance of a potentially key witness, investigators searching for suspects in last year's deadly Calabasas/Malibu fire scrambled Friday to determine whether they still have a case and arranged to meet the man for a re-enactment of the early moments of the blaze.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|