Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRoger W Luby
IN THE NEWS

Roger W Luby

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
April 22, 1989
Dr. Thomas A. Gionis was ordered Friday to stand trial for an attack on his ex-wife Aissa Wayne, daughter of actor John Wayne, after a judge found that authorities had amassed enough evidence to link the wealthy orthopedic surgeon to two street thugs who carried out the assault last fall. Judge Susanne S. Shaw of Harbor Municipal Court in Newport Beach set bail of $250,000 for Gionis over the strong objections of prosecutors, but she offered a scathing summary of the evidence against the surgeon, concluding that he "snapped" as a result of a divorce and bitter custody battle over the couple's only child, 2-year-old Anastasia.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 20, 1994 | RENE LYNCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The state Supreme Court agreed Thursday to consider reinstating Dr. Thomas Gionis' conviction on charges that he hired thugs to assault his estranged wife, the daughter of the late actor John Wayne, during a child custody battle.
Advertisement
NEWS
October 13, 1988
Saying that he still fears for his life, financier Roger W. Luby summoned reporters to his Newport Beach home after more than a week of seclusion to describe how he and girlfriend Aissa Wayne, daughter of the late actor John Wayne, were bound, beaten and threatened with death.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 22, 1992 | LILY DIZON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A private investigator was sentenced to four years in state prison Friday for his role as the middleman who hired thugs to beat up Aissa Wayne, daughter of John Wayne, and her then-boyfriend. Oded Daniel Gal, 35, pleaded guilty in June to hiring the two men who attacked Wayne and developer Roger Luby at Luby's Newport Beach home on Oct. 3, 1988. Luby was pistol-whipped and Wayne's head was slammed against the concrete floor.
NEWS
June 16, 1990
Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, who stunned even his own lawyer by admitting his involvement in the 1988 assault on John Wayne's daughter and her then-boyfriend, was sentenced Friday to eight years in state prison, the maximum possible term. Hintergardt's attorney told jurors last month that his client was at a Los Angeles hospital for an adjustment on his artificial foot when Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby were attacked the morning of Oct. 3, 1988, in the garage of Luby's Newport Beach estate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 17, 1989
The Newport Beach estate of developer Roger W. Luby, who along with Aissa Wayne, daughter of the late John Wayne, was bound and pistol-whipped in a brutal attack last October, was auctioned for $1.75 million here Thursday. Thomas A. Cowan, who represented the Los Angeles-based Sanwa Bank of California, beat out another bidder who declined to be identified. The bank, which holds the second deed of trust on the property, will sell the estate, Cowan said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 1, 1989
The Newport Beach estate of Roger W. Luby, who along with Aissa Wayne, John Wayne's daughter, was bound and pistol-whipped in a brutal attack last October, will be auctioned in mid-February to pay the mortgage's unpaid balance of about $1.15 million. According to a public notice published on Jan. 26, a trustee will sell the property at 2321 22nd St. to the highest bidder in a public auction to be held at noon Thursday at the main quadrangle entrance to the Placentia City Hall, 401 E.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 29, 1989
A judge set bail at $1 million Tuesday for Jeffrey Kendall Bouey, the second suspect arrested and charged with attacking the late John Wayne's daughter, Aissa Wayne, and her companion, Roger W. Luby, last October. Harbor Municipal Court Judge Russell A. Bostrom denied a request by Bouey's attorney for a lower bail amount, pending a joint arraignment hearing set for April 7 with a second suspect, Jerrel L. Hintergardt, who is also being held with bond set at $1 million.
NEWS
December 6, 1990 | From a Times Staff Writer
Aissa Wayne took the witness stand Wednesday at the trial of her ex-husband, Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, to describe for jurors the beating she and a boyfriend suffered two years ago. Gionis is charged with ordering the beating. Wayne, the daughter of the late actor John Wayne then spent two hours under cross-examination about the bitter battle she fought with Gionis for custody of their daughter.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 15, 1991 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Over defense protests, a judge Thursday allowed prosecutors to broaden the charges at a new trial for Dr. Thomas A. Gionis involving the assault on his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne, and her boyfriend. Although prosecutors are reducing the actual number of charges from seven to four, they hope the new charges will make it easier for a jury to find Gionis guilty. Prosecutors eliminated the charge of conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon and changed it to simply conspiracy to commit an assault.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 30, 1992 | ERIC LICHTBLAU, TIMES STAFF WRITER
State officials Monday took the first step toward revoking the medical license of Pomona physician Thomas A. Gionis, leveling new charges that he engaged in "sexual misconduct" with a patient. Gionis, 38, was convicted last month of masterminding an assault on his estranged wife, Aissa Wayne--daughter of the late film legend John Wayne--and her then-boyfriend in the midst of a 1988 child custody dispute arising from their separation.
NEWS
June 16, 1992 | From a Times Staff Writer
A Century City private investigator pleaded guilty Monday to his part in an assault on Aissa Wayne, daughter of John Wayne, and her then-boyfriend. Oded Daniel Gal, 35, entered the plea as jury selection was about to begin in his trial for the Oct. 3, 1988, attack on Wayne and developer Roger Luby at Luby's Newport Beach home. Gal pleaded guilty to four felony counts--conspiracy to commit assault, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of false imprisonment.
NEWS
May 12, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Orange County Superior Court jury Monday convicted a Pomona physician of masterminding an assault on his ex-wife--the daughter of the late John Wayne--and her then-boyfriend during a bitter child custody fight in 1988. Dr. Thomas Gionis, 38, faces a maximum of eight years in prison when he is sentenced June 12.
NEWS
May 12, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Orange County Superior Court jury Monday convicted a Pomona physician of masterminding an assault on his ex-wife--the daughter of the late actor John Wayne--and her then-boyfriend during a bitter child custody battle in 1988. Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, 38, faces a maximum of eight years in prison when he is sentenced June 12.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 24, 1992 | MARK PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
During a lengthy cross-examination Thursday, the daughter of John Wayne battled defense efforts to portray her as the incidental victim of a random assault rather than the target of a vengeful plot masterminded by her ex-husband. Aissa Wayne, 35, and her then-boyfriend, developer Roger Luby, were attacked at gunpoint and beaten by two intruders on Oct. 3, 1988, at Luby's gated Newport Beach estate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 23, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Members of John Wayne's family gathered in Orange County Superior Court on Wednesday as the late actor's daughter, Aissa, began testifying about an assault against her and a former boyfriend. With Wayne's widow, Pilar, and another daughter, Marisa, in the spectator section, Aissa Wayne began her account of the stormy divorce and custody battle with her ex-husband, Dr. Thomas Gionis, who is accused of masterminding the Oct. 3, 1988, attack.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 28, 1991 | DAVAN MAHARAJ
Roger W. Luby, attacked along with John Wayne's daughter three years ago by intruders at his home, confronted another intruder this week, but tackled him and held him until police arrived. Police said Luby, 54, overpowered 24-year-old Jeffrey Olson of Fountain Valley on Tuesday night in Luby's home in the 21000 block of Indian Spring Lane. Sgt. Andy Gonis said Luby heard his dogs barking furiously about 8:30 p.m. and tiptoed downstairs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 6, 1989 | KENNETH T. YAMADA, Times Staff Writer
A second defendant was ordered Friday to stand trial for an assault last year on John Wayne's daughter, Aissa, and financier Roger W. Luby. Municipal Judge Russell A. Bostrom ordered a trial for Jerrel L. Hintergardt, 37, of Burbank, who is accused of participating in the Oct. 3, 1988, attack in which Wayne was beaten and Luby suffered a severed Achilles' tendon. If convicted, Hintergardt could be sentenced to 11 years in prison. Hintergardt joins Pomona orthopedic surgeon Thomas A. Gionis, 35, Wayne's former husband, who was ordered last month to stand trial in the attack.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 22, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A flamboyant New York attorney Tuesday portrayed John Wayne's daughter Aissa and her former boyfriend more as villains than victims as the retrial in a celebrated assault case opened in a crowded courtroom. Attorney Bruce Cutler, best known for his successful defense of New York mobster John Gotti, is representing Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, who is charged with masterminding a vicious assault on Wayne, his estranged wife at the time, and her then-boyfriend, developer Roger W. Luby.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|