Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRonald Newman
IN THE NEWS

Ronald Newman

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 17, 1998 | GEOFF BOUCHER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Members of the exclusive Balboa Bay Club in Newport Beach expressed shock and disappointment Thursday as news spread that one of their own had been indicted as an accused player in an international drug smuggling ring.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 17, 1998 | GEOFF BOUCHER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Members of the exclusive Balboa Bay Club in Newport Beach expressed shock and disappointment Thursday as news spread that one of their own had been indicted as an accused player in an international drug smuggling ring.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 8, 1987 | HEIDI EVANS, Times Staff Writer
The Red Onion restaurant chain, under fire for the past year for barring minorities from its discos, did so on the direct orders of company President Ronald Newman, a state investigation has concluded.
NEWS
February 8, 1987 | HEIDI EVANS, Times Staff Writer
The Red Onion restaurant chain, under fire for the past year for barring minorities from its discos, did so on the direct orders of company President Ronald Newman, a state investigation has concluded.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 5, 1999 | Greg Risling, (949) 574-4226
Ronald Newman, the 49-year-old Bayshores resident who has admitted having ties to an international drug ring, has been removed from the governing board of the prestigious Balboa Bay Club on East Coast Highway. Newman pleaded guilty to one count of money laundering in connection with the drug ring and will be sentenced later this month. He could be sent to federal prison for up to a year.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 18, 1989 | STEVE WEINSTEIN, Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news services and the nation's press
Paul Newman has filed a $5.45-million suit against Home Box Office Inc., claiming the cable television giant undersold "Fort Apache, the Bronx"--the New York police drama that Newman made for HBO subsidiary Time-Life Productions in 1980--so that it could rent out other HBO features. Ronald Rosen, Newman's attorney, said HBO charged a rental fee of only $1 million for "Fort Apache" in a deal with Procter & Gamble Co. that included 192 other films.
NEWS
April 17, 1998 | GEOFF BOUCHER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Members of the exclusive Balboa Bay Club in Newport Beach expressed shock and disappointment Thursday as news spread that one of their own had been indicted as an alleged player in an international drug smuggling ring.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 1988 | JESS BRAVIN, Times Staff Writer
Three owners of Red Onion restaurants that are not associated with the chain owned by Ronald Newman said Friday that they would change the names of their establishments to avoid association with the others. On Thursday, Newman's International Onion Inc. was ordered to pay $375,000 in penalties and fees for more than two dozen alleged health and fire code violations in its 13 restaurants in Orange, Los Angeles and Riverside counties.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 20, 1987 | JOHN SPANO, Times Staff Writer
Six Iranian immigrants who claimed that they were denied admission to a Red Onion Restaurant in Santa Ana last year because of their ethnic background abruptly ended the trial of their lawsuit Thursday by agreeing to settle the case. The settlement involved a payment of money by the restaurant chain, which did not acknowledge any wrongdoing. Both sides refused to disclose the specific terms of the settlement. "In my heart I know we won," said Ali Reza Mirhousseini, 23, one of the plaintiffs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 8, 1987 | HEIDI EVANS, Times Staff Writer
The Red Onion restaurant chain, under fire for the last year for barring minorities from its discos, did so on direct orders of company President Ronald Newman, a state investigation has concluded.
NATIONAL
March 15, 2007 | David Zucchino, Times Staff Writer
A senior enlisted man testified Wednesday that he had angrily asked over a military radio why his soldiers had not killed several Iraqi men they had taken into custody during a combat sweep in Iraq last May. Minutes later, three detainees were shot dead. A 101st Airborne Division squad leader, Staff Sgt. Raymond L. Girouard, is charged with ordering his soldiers to kill the Iraqis. "I don't understand why ... we have these guys alive!" 1st Sgt.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 3, 1990 | MICHAEL GRANBERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Four San Diego artists who used federal funds to pay for bus-bench ads that protest deadly force shootings by police were operating within guidelines set forth by the National Endowment for the Arts, according to documents obtained by The Times on Friday. Nevertheless, officials for the embattled NEA said Friday that they intend to investigate the artists for what appears to be, in the words of national spokesman Jack Lichtenstein, "a most inappropriate use of NEA funds."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|