Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRonald Rubino
IN THE NEWS

Ronald Rubino

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 12, 1997
With the sentencing of former Orange County Assistant Treasurer Matthew R. Raabe to a three-year prison term for his leading role in the county bankruptcy (Oct. 4), hopefully this sad period in our local history is over. As Superior Court Judge Everett W. Dickey said, " . . . The public has the right to expect that all of its officials will follow the rules meticulously." This has been an extraordinarily expensive case, not only in terms of tax dollars lost, but in the cost of jobs for many, and the reputations of a few. In all of this, it should be made clear that certainly one man had been made a scapegoat, and has suffered because of it. He is former County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 12, 1997
With the sentencing of former Orange County Assistant Treasurer Matthew R. Raabe to a three-year prison term for his leading role in the county bankruptcy (Oct. 4), hopefully this sad period in our local history is over. As Superior Court Judge Everett W. Dickey said, " . . . The public has the right to expect that all of its officials will follow the rules meticulously." This has been an extraordinarily expensive case, not only in terms of tax dollars lost, but in the cost of jobs for many, and the reputations of a few. In all of this, it should be made clear that certainly one man had been made a scapegoat, and has suffered because of it. He is former County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino.
Advertisement
NEWS
December 14, 1995 | MATT LAIT, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Concluding its probe into the nation's worst municipal bankruptcy, the Orange County Grand Jury accused two county supervisors and the auditor-controller of official misconduct and indicted the county's former budget director on criminal charges. The civil accusations against Board of Supervisors Chairman Roger R. Stanton, Supervisor William G. Steiner and Auditor-Controller Steven E.
NEWS
October 8, 1996 | DAVAN MAHARAJ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Former Orange County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino was found guilty Monday on a single misdemeanor charge of falsifying county records, closing the book on the first criminal trial arising from Orange County's bankruptcy. Visiting Los Angeles Judge J. Stephen Czuleger pronounced Rubino guilty after accepting a plea of no contest from Rubino to one charge in a revised three-count complaint filed by the Orange County district attorney's office.
NEWS
October 8, 1996 | DAVAN MAHARAJ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Former Orange County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino was found guilty Monday on a single misdemeanor charge of falsifying county records, closing the book on the first criminal trial arising from Orange County's bankruptcy. Visiting Los Angeles Judge J. Stephen Czuleger pronounced Rubino guilty after accepting a plea of no contest from Rubino to one charge in a revised three-count complaint filed by the Orange County district attorney's office.
NEWS
February 5, 1995 | MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two years ago, during a budget crisis triggered by the state government's commandeering of county property taxes, then-Orange County Treasurer Robert L. Citron and then-Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino came up with a plan to replace some of the lost revenue at a time when the closing of some fire stations and libraries seemed inevitable.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 17, 1996 | SHELBY GRAD, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Voicing reluctance to keep approving ever greater outlays of taxpayer money to defend officials accused of bankruptcy-related misdeeds, a divided Board of Supervisors nonetheless voted Tuesday to increase former Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino's legal fees cap to $500,000. "I'm supportive of the $500,000, but that is as far as I can go," said Supervisor Marian Bergeson. "A half-million dollars is a good contribution for a strong defense."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 24, 1996 | TRACY WEBER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In Orange County's philanthropic scene, Sharon Esterley has a reputation as a formidable event planner. Seemingly tireless, relentlessly detail-oriented, the former John Wayne Airport spokeswoman has marshaled the less driven into action for causes from breast cancer to the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art. But for the past nine months, Esterley, 53, has been devoted to a solitary cause: securing an innocent verdict for former County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino, her husband of the past decade.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 23, 1996
The Orange County district attorney's office put one of its own investigators on the stand Thursday as its final witness in the criminal case against former county Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino. As part of his testimony, investigator Larry Lambert read some of the former budget director's responses to earlier questioning before the Orange County Grand Jury. There will be no testimony today. Prosecutor Jan J.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 24, 1996 | TRACY WEBER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In Orange County's philanthropic scene, Sharon Esterley has a reputation as a formidable event planner. Seemingly tireless, relentlessly detail-oriented, the former John Wayne Airport spokeswoman has marshaled the less driven into action for causes from breast cancer to the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art. But for the past nine months, Esterley, 53, has been devoted to a solitary cause: securing an innocent verdict for former County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino, her husband of the past decade.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 17, 1996 | SHELBY GRAD, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Voicing reluctance to keep approving ever greater outlays of taxpayer money to defend officials accused of bankruptcy-related misdeeds, a divided Board of Supervisors nonetheless voted Tuesday to increase former Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino's legal fees cap to $500,000. "I'm supportive of the $500,000, but that is as far as I can go," said Supervisor Marian Bergeson. "A half-million dollars is a good contribution for a strong defense."
NEWS
December 14, 1995 | MATT LAIT, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Concluding its probe into the nation's worst municipal bankruptcy, the Orange County Grand Jury accused two county supervisors and the auditor-controller of official misconduct and indicted the county's former budget director on criminal charges. The civil accusations against Board of Supervisors Chairman Roger R. Stanton, Supervisor William G. Steiner and Auditor-Controller Steven E.
NEWS
February 5, 1995 | MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two years ago, during a budget crisis triggered by the state government's commandeering of county property taxes, then-Orange County Treasurer Robert L. Citron and then-Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino came up with a plan to replace some of the lost revenue at a time when the closing of some fire stations and libraries seemed inevitable.
NEWS
September 13, 1996 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Struggling to break a deadlock, jurors in the trial of former Orange County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino deliberated for a sixth day Thursday, but still failed to arrive at a verdict. Jurors will resume deliberations this morning, two days after the panel told presiding Judge J. Stephen Czuleger that they were a "hung jury" and have been plagued by personal infighting. Rubino is charged with two counts of helping former Treasurer Robert L.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 7, 1990 | JIM NEWTON
In the first round of repercussions from the recently enacted 1990-91 state budget, county supervisors today are expected to put five programs that serve troubled children on notice that their contracts may soon be terminated. "These community-based organizations may really take a hit," said Rod Speer, information services representative for the county Probation Department. "This is devastating."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|