Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRudolf Cordes
IN THE NEWS

Rudolf Cordes

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
July 9, 1987
The kidnapers of two West Germans indicated that they want to restart secret talks leading to the release of the two men following the Bonn government's decision not to extradite suspected Lebanese hijacker Mohammed Ali Hamadi to the United States. "If good intentions are proved, we will take steps for every step taken by the government," the kidnapers said in a statement to the Beirut newspaper An Nahar.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
September 14, 1988 | ROBIN WRIGHT, Times Staff Writer
Iran apparently double-crossed some of its Lebanese allies to obtain the release Monday of West German hostage Rudolf Cordes after three months of secret negotiations between German and Iranian officials, European diplomatic sources said Tuesday. U.S.
Advertisement
NEWS
September 12, 1987 | From Reuters
A $2-million ransom freed West German hostage Alfred Schmidt, and a similar payment could release Rudolf Cordes, his fellow kidnap victim in Lebanon, within days, Beirut's As Shiraa magazine said Friday. As Shiraa, which broke the news last November of U.S. arms-for-hostages dealings with Iran, is close to the radicals in Beirut. "The release of Schmidt was the result of a deal in which the kidnapers received $2 million.
NEWS
September 13, 1988 | WILLIAM TUOHY, Times Staff Writer
West German businessman Rudolf Cordes, held hostage for nearly 20 months by an Iranian-backed Shia Muslim group in Lebanon, was freed late Monday in Beirut after his kidnapers said they were given assurances that the terrorism cases against two Lebanese on trial in West Germany would be "settled." Syrian officials said that Cordes, the 55-year-old manager in Lebanon for the Frankfurt-based Hoechst chemical company, left Beirut by car and arrived in Damascus late Monday.
NEWS
July 14, 1987
The kidnapers of two West Germans abducted in Lebanon in January have raised their ransom demands from $1.1 million to $16.5 million, according to a source believed to be close to the negotiations. The source, confirming a report in the Lebanese daily An Nahar, also said the captors had earlier asked an additional $1 million in return for two letters written by Rudolf Cordes and Alfred Schmidt to their families. The offer was refused, the source said.
NEWS
January 19, 1987 | WILLIAM TUOHY, Times Staff Writer
The West German Foreign Ministry said Sunday that a Hamburg businessman has been kidnaped in Beirut. West German newspapers speculated that the kidnaping may have been in retaliation for the arrest Tuesday in Frankfurt of a Lebanese suspected of complicity in the hijacking of a TWA airliner in June, 1985.
NEWS
September 13, 1988 | WILLIAM TUOHY, Times Staff Writer
West German businessman Rudolf Cordes, held hostage for nearly 20 months by an Iranian-backed Shia Muslim group in Lebanon, was freed late Monday in Beirut after his kidnapers said they were given assurances that the terrorism cases against two Lebanese on trial in West Germany would be "settled." Syrian officials said that Cordes, the 55-year-old manager in Lebanon for the Frankfurt-based Hoechst chemical company, left Beirut by car and arrived in Damascus late Monday.
NEWS
September 14, 1988 | ROBIN WRIGHT, Times Staff Writer
Iran apparently double-crossed some of its Lebanese allies to obtain the release Monday of West German hostage Rudolf Cordes after three months of secret negotiations between German and Iranian officials, European diplomatic sources said Tuesday. U.S.
NEWS
September 12, 1987 | From Reuters
A $2-million ransom freed West German hostage Alfred Schmidt, and a similar payment could release Rudolf Cordes, his fellow kidnap victim in Lebanon, within days, Beirut's As Shiraa magazine said Friday. As Shiraa, which broke the news last November of U.S. arms-for-hostages dealings with Iran, is close to the radicals in Beirut. "The release of Schmidt was the result of a deal in which the kidnapers received $2 million.
NEWS
July 14, 1987
The kidnapers of two West Germans abducted in Lebanon in January have raised their ransom demands from $1.1 million to $16.5 million, according to a source believed to be close to the negotiations. The source, confirming a report in the Lebanese daily An Nahar, also said the captors had earlier asked an additional $1 million in return for two letters written by Rudolf Cordes and Alfred Schmidt to their families. The offer was refused, the source said.
NEWS
July 9, 1987
The kidnapers of two West Germans indicated that they want to restart secret talks leading to the release of the two men following the Bonn government's decision not to extradite suspected Lebanese hijacker Mohammed Ali Hamadi to the United States. "If good intentions are proved, we will take steps for every step taken by the government," the kidnapers said in a statement to the Beirut newspaper An Nahar.
NEWS
January 19, 1987 | WILLIAM TUOHY, Times Staff Writer
The West German Foreign Ministry said Sunday that a Hamburg businessman has been kidnaped in Beirut. West German newspapers speculated that the kidnaping may have been in retaliation for the arrest Tuesday in Frankfurt of a Lebanese suspected of complicity in the hijacking of a TWA airliner in June, 1985.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|