YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRudolf Hess

Rudolf Hess

March 6, 1987 | Associated Press
Rudolf Hess, the 92-year-old former Hitler deputy who occupied Spandau Prison alone as a frail relic of Nazism, has been taken to a British military hospital with pneumonia, the family lawyer said today. Andrew Purdon, spokesman for the British diplomatic mission in West Berlin, said Hess was taken to the hospital Sunday "simply for observation . . . because he said he wasn't feeling well."
August 18, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
Thousands of right-wing extremists marked the 15th anniversary of the death of Adolf Hitler's deputy Rudolf Hess by marching through the southern German town of Wunsiedel, where he is buried. Several hundred police officers flanked 3,000 neo-Nazis, many of whom carried pictures of Hess and waved banners. Hess was sentenced to life in prison at the Nuremberg war crimes trials. He hanged himself in Berlin's Spandau prison on Aug. 17, 1987.
August 17, 1987 | Associated Press
Rudolf Hess, the Hitler deputy who parachuted into Scotland in 1941 in a bid to end World War II, died today at age 93 after nearly half a century in jail, including 20 years as the only inmate at cavernous Spandau prison. Hess, an early Nazi activist who never renounced Adolf Hitler and the atrocities committed by the Nazi regime, was rushed to a British military hospital from Spandau prison this afternoon. The bushy-browed and gaunt Hess was the last top Nazi to die.
August 17, 1997 | From Associated Press
Scores of neo-Nazis were arrested Saturday by riot police in Germany, and scuffles broke out in neighboring Denmark on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the death of Rudolf Hess, Hitler's deputy. More than 220 arrests across Germany were related to today's anniversary, authorities said. Danish police said about 50 people--skinheads and their opponents--were arrested in Roskilde and Greve, hotbeds for neo-Nazi activities.
August 18, 1987 | HARRY TRIMBORN, Times Staff Writer
Rudolf Hess, once Adolf Hitler's devoted aide and the last known surviving member of the Nazi leadership, died Monday in West Berlin's Spandau Prison for war criminals, where he had spent 40 years in virtual solitary confinement. He was 93. Hess' death was officially announced by British diplomatic spokesman Anderson W. Purdon. The cause of death was not disclosed.
August 23, 1987
West German police said they arrested 78 neo-Nazi protesters--some wearing swastikas and shouting the Nazi salute, "Sieg, heil!"--near the area where Adolf Hitler's deputy, Rudolf Hess, is to be buried this week. "Rudolf Hess was murdered!" chanted some of the protesters in the northern Bavarian village of Wunsiedel. Public display of the swastika is forbidden in West Germany. According to Allied officials, the 93-year-old Hess strangled himself Monday in Spandau prison.
April 26, 1987 | Associated Press
Right-wing extremists spray-painted slogans 6 feet to 9 feet high on the walls of Nuremberg's municipal soccer stadium Saturday demanding the release of former Nazi official Rudolf Hess, police said. Municipal employees were summoned to remove the graffiti before a soccer game.
March 16, 1987 | Associated Press
The son of Rudolf Hess, the imprisoned former deputy to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler, says the 92-year-old is near death, a newspaper reported Sunday. "It's coming to an end, I'm afraid," Wolf-Ruediger Hess, a Munich businessman, told the Bild newspaper. Rudolf Hess is suffering from pneumonia in a British military hospital in Berlin. His son visited him there last week and said his condition appears to be worsening.
April 30, 1987 | Associated Press
Rudolf Hess, 93-year-old former deputy to Adolf Hitler, was taken back to Spandau prison Wednesday after spending the night in a military hospital for a medical checkup, a British spokesman said. Hess, the last imprisoned leader of Nazi Germany, was taken to a British military hospital Tuesday evening after complaining of "not feeling well," British diplomatic mission spokesman Anderson Purdon told reporters.
June 11, 1992 | From Reuters
Secret Foreign Office records released Wednesday show that Adolf Hitler's deputy Rudolf Hess acted alone when he flew to Britain on a "peace" mission in one of World War II's most bizarre episodes. The documents, kept locked away for decades but now available at London's Public Records Office, shed new light on Hess' May, 1941, flight to Scotland and his subsequent arrest and interrogation before the Nuremberg war-crimes trials.
March 17, 1991
Congressmen such as Dana Rohrabacher are guilty only of doing in public what NEA officials do in private: They make a judgment, based on personal aesthetics, of which works set before them are actually art and which of those deserve to be publicly supported. It is ludicrous to suppose that because the ministers of culture in Washington are "artists" they are tapped into the One True Aesthetic. If given the power, Stravinsky would have no sooner funded Arnold Schoenberg than would Rudolf Hess; Tennessee Williams was in fact turned down for WPA support.
Actress Audrey Hepburn, appealing for help for the world's poor children, told a congressional subcommittee that as a child in Belgium she had been "one of those children of war-ravaged Europe to receive help from UNICEF." Hepburn, now a volunteer for the United Nations' Children's Fund, said children were among the hardest-hit victims of the Third World debt crisis.
February 6, 1989
Photographs of the body of Rudolf Hess suggest Adolf Hitler's 93-year-old deputy may have been murdered rather than committing suicide at Spandau Prison in West Berlin on Aug. 17, 1987, Britain's Sunday Observer newspaper reported. The photographs were part of a postmortem report by Wolfgang Spann, of Munich, West Germany, who suggested the Nazi leader died as a result of "deliberate strangulation rather than hanging," the paper said.
Los Angeles Times Articles