Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRussell Otis
IN THE NEWS

Russell Otis

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
June 24, 2009 | Lance Pugmire
Law enforcement authorities implied in court Tuesday that Compton Dominguez High's championship-winning former boys' basketball coach paid off an administrative ally with a $500 check for his help in allegedly stealing $15,000 intended for the school district.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 29, 2010 | By Lance Pugmire
Former Compton Dominguez High boys basketball coach Russell Otis was sentenced Thursday to 60 days in jail for child molesting, probably ending the powerful reign of a man who directed his teams to five state championships and 10 California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section titles in 20 seasons. Otis, 47, had been charged with misdemeanor child molesting, felony theft and forgery and a felony charge of meeting a minor for lewd purposes. He was convicted in November on the lesser charge.
Advertisement
SPORTS
June 27, 2009 | Stuart Pfeifer
Former Compton Dominguez High basketball coach Russell Otis was ordered Friday to stand trial on charges that he attempted to molest one of his players and embezzled $15,000 intended for his team. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Gary Hahn made that decision after listening to four days of testimony during a preliminary hearing in Compton. He ordered Otis, who is free on bail, to return to court July 6 for arraignment.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 3, 2009 | By Lance Pugmire
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office announced in court Wednesday that it will not seek a retrial of former Compton Dominguez High School boys' basketball coach Russell Otis on a felony charge of meeting a minor for a lewd purpose. A Compton jury last month deadlocked 10 to 2 in favor of convicting Otis on the charge, which would have left the ex-coach facing up to a three-year prison sentence. Prosecutors alleged that Otis had met a former member of his 2008 CIF Southern Section-championship team at the player's home and offered the then-16-year-old boy $1,500 in cash if he'd let the coach sexually arouse him. The two holdout jurors said there wasn't enough evidence presented to prove Otis actually visited the boy's home.
SPORTS
June 17, 2009 | Lance Pugmire; David Wharton, Staff and Wire Reports
Veteran Compton Dominguez High boys basketball coach Russell Otis has been fired pending appeal and the Compton Unified School District's longtime athletic director Ernie Carr has resigned, attorneys for both said Tuesday. Otis, who led the Dons to 10 Southern Section titles and six state championships, faces felony commercial burglary counts and two other counts connected to unwanted sexual advances on a former male student.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2001 | DALONDO MOULTRIE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A teenager tearfully told a Superior Court jury Tuesday that former Compton basketball coach Russell Otis groped him, performed oral sex on him and sodomized him. The boy said Otis, who was his coach at Dominguez High School, repeatedly asked to perform oral sex on the teenager while they were at the coach's Carson home last fall. "I kept saying no. Then I finally said yeah," said the 17-year-old boy, who was identified in court as John Doe because he is a minor.
SPORTS
December 11, 2002 | Ben Bolch, Times Staff Writer
After waiting more than five hours to go before members of the Compton Unified School District board and explain why he should have his old job back, Russell Otis got his chance late Tuesday night. And, as he seems to almost always, the controversial basketball coach emerged a winner. The board voted 4-3 to approve Otis' nomination, allowing him to return to the Dons boys' team as coach. He starts today.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 24, 2001 | DALONDO MOULTRIE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Russell Otis, a nationally known Compton high school basketball coach, was acquitted Monday of charges that he sexually molested one of his players last fall. As the Superior Court jury read the not-guilty verdicts on four charges, including oral copulation and sodomy, Otis wiped tears from his eyes and hugged his lawyer, Leonard B. Levine. Several Otis relatives applauded in the courtroom.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 23, 2001 | JOE MATHEWS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Russell Otis, the nationally renowned high school boys basketball coach from Compton, is being fired just weeks before he stands trial on charges of sexually abusing one of his players. The Compton Unified School District's state-appointed chief, Randolph E. Ward, began the process of dismissing Otis earlier this week. Wednesday afternoon, Compton's school police chief hand-delivered a notice of termination to Otis's home in Carson, according to two people familiar with the matter.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 18, 2000 | JOE MATHEWS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The nationally prominent coach of one of Southern California's best high school basketball teams was charged Friday afternoon with sexually molesting one of his players. Russell Otis, the 38-year-old boys coach at Compton's Dominguez High, faces felony counts of sodomy by use of force and of oral copulation during an October encounter at his Carson townhouse, according to two lawyers and a three-page criminal complaint filed in Lynwood Justice Court.
SPORTS
November 7, 2009 | Lance Pugmire
High school sports federation officials will investigate possible rules violations involving the Compton Dominguez High boys' basketball team that came to light during the criminal trials of former basketball coach Russell Otis and in a recent internal investigation by the Compton Unified School District. A spokesman for the Southern Section, a local branch of the California Interscholastic Federation, said his organization will seek transcripts of the trial that closed this week in which Otis was convicted of misdemeanor child molesting and acquitted of felony theft and forgery.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 4, 2009 | Lance Pugmire
Russell Otis, who directed Dominguez High School in Compton to five state boys' basketball championships, was convicted Tuesday of misdemeanor child molesting, a crime that, withstanding appeals, would bar him from coaching or teaching minors. The 47-year-old Otis, sitting stern-faced as the verdicts were read, was acquitted of committing felony theft and forgery by depositing a $15,000 Nike check written to the Compton Unified School District into his personal bank account. After 11 days of deliberations, the Los Angeles County Superior Court jury in Compton deadlocked 10 to 2 in favor of conviction on a felony charge of meeting a minor for lewd purposes.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 6, 2009 | Lance Pugmire
The teenage athlete whose allegations triggered the firing of decorated Compton Dominguez High boys basketball coach Russell Otis testified Monday that Otis tried to persuade him to engage in a sexual "experiment" last year. The boy, now 17, said Otis drove to his home late one night last August, met him at the rear alley and showed him a stack of money Otis claimed was $1,500. He said he declined the coach's offer but accepted $100 to buy cellphone minutes. Otis is standing trial in Compton on felony charges of making an unwanted sexual advance on a minor, and using an allegedly forged document to deposit a $15,000 check from Nike Inc. to the Compton Unified School District into his personal bank account.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 2, 2009 | Lance Pugmire
Russell Otis was "a predator" who used his position as boys basketball coach at Compton's Dominguez High School to try and pressure one of his young players into a sexual encounter with him, a prosecutor alleged in court Thursday. Los Angeles County Deputy Dist. Atty. Ryan King said Otis didn't use a gun or a knife to get his way. The coach's weapon, King said, "was his position of authority." King's comments came during the opening day of Otis' trial on charges that he made unwanted sexual advances to a player and misappropriated a $15,000 check from Nike into his personal bank account.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 20, 2009 | Stuart Pfeifer and Lance Pugmire
Compton Unified School District police will investigate whether former Dominguez High School basketball coach Russell Otis submitted fraudulent receipts to obtain $5,100 in travel reimbursement from the district, a police detective said. The investigation is in response to an article in Saturday's Times that said Otis submitted travel invoices bearing the letterhead of a property management firm called Emory G Group to obtain reimbursement for airfare and hotel costs. Otis said the expenses were from trips his team took to Las Vegas, Florida and Indianapolis.
SPORTS
July 17, 2009 | Lance Pugmire and Stuart Pfeifer
Ten months after heralded Compton Dominguez High boys' basketball Coach Russell Otis was removed for allegedly attempting to molest one of his players, the Dons' powerful program is in disarray. The school that has won six state championships in the last 20 years has no coach. Its best player, heavily recruited forward Keala King, has transferred to Orange County powerhouse Santa Ana Mater Dei. Left are three returning players who averaged a combined seven points last season.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 29, 2010 | By Lance Pugmire
Former Compton Dominguez High boys basketball coach Russell Otis was sentenced Thursday to 60 days in jail for child molesting, probably ending the powerful reign of a man who directed his teams to five state championships and 10 California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section titles in 20 seasons. Otis, 47, had been charged with misdemeanor child molesting, felony theft and forgery and a felony charge of meeting a minor for lewd purposes. He was convicted in November on the lesser charge.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 25, 2001 | DALONDO MOULTRIE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Former Compton basketball coach Russell Otis said Tuesday that he would consider returning to his job at Dominguez High School if it were offered to him. Otis, speaking one day after he was acquitted on charges that he sexually molested one of his players last fall, said returning to the school may be one of his options. "I would feel comfortable [going back]," Otis, 38, said outside his lawyer's office in Century City.
SPORTS
June 27, 2009 | Stuart Pfeifer
Former Compton Dominguez High basketball coach Russell Otis was ordered Friday to stand trial on charges that he attempted to molest one of his players and embezzled $15,000 intended for his team. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Gary Hahn made that decision after listening to four days of testimony during a preliminary hearing in Compton. He ordered Otis, who is free on bail, to return to court July 6 for arraignment.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|