June 3, 2013 |
A fire at a poultry plant in northeastern China that claimed at least 119 lives Monday is one of a string of Asian disasters that have spotlighted poor industrial safety standards. The most shocking example took place just over a month ago, when a garment factory complex collapsed on the outskirts of the Bangladesh capital, Dhaka, killing at least 1,127 people. An engineer had warned that the Rana Plaza building was unsafe, but garment workers who expressed fear about entering the building were ordered back to work by their employers.
April 2, 2013 |
On a recent evening, students at Pomona College feasted on chicken pot pie, steamed veggies, biscuits and rice. And, as is often the case, there were plenty of leftovers in the dining hall, enough for about 100 extra meals. Those leftovers, however, weren't destined for the dumpster. Instead, they were carefully packaged by dining hall workers, handed to a group of students and driven to nearby Inland Valley Hope Partners, a nonprofit shelter for people in need. Pomona College's efforts to keep prepared food from going to waste are part of a nationwide coalition of student groups called the Food Recovery Network, which estimates that about 22 million meals are thrown away at U.S. colleges every year.
January 30, 2013 |
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency banned 12 rodent poisons made by the United Kingdom-based Reckitt Benckiser Inc. because the products failed to abide by safety regulations, the agency announced Wednesday. The agency said in a statement it has worked with rodent poison makers to ensure they comply with safety standards, but Reckitt Benckiser, the maker of other products such as Woolite laundry detergent and Clearasil face wash, has refused to abide by regulations. The British company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 15, 2013 |
A state probe into the widespread power outages caused by a furious 2011 windstorm was unable to determine whether toppled utility poles met safety standards because Southern California Edison destroyed most of them before they could be inspected. The winds that roared through the San Gabriel Valley knocked down hundreds of utility poles, snapped cables and uprooted scores of trees, leaving nearly a quarter of a million Edison customers without power, some for a full week. In a report released Monday, the California Public Utilities Commission found that at least 21 poles were unstable because of termite destruction, dry rot or other damage before tumbling over in wind gusts of up to 120 mph on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, 2011.
August 10, 2012 |
LONDON - American swimmer Fran Crippen had hoped to be at the starting line Friday when the men's 10k open-water marathon got underway in Hyde Park. As a world bronze medalist and a two-time national champion in the event, it seemed likely he would. That dream, however, tragically - and needlessly - ended two years ago when he drowned during an international competition. And yet Crippen was everywhere Friday. PHOTOS: London Olympics, Day 14 In the water and at news conferences, swimmers paid tribute to Crippen, who died in October 2010 while competing amid unsafe conditions at a World Cup race in the United Arab Emirates.
March 14, 2012 |
HBO has pulled the plug on its gambling drama "Luck" after controversy erupted over the deaths of three horses during production. "It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series 'Luck,' " the network said in a statement. The statement continues: "Safety is always of paramount concern. We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horseracing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures.