Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSan Fernando City Council
IN THE NEWS

San Fernando City Council

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 13, 1997
The San Fernando City Council held a [closed-session] meeting at City Hall on April 3 ("L.A. Law Firm Will Replace City Attorney"). This blatant attempt by Mayor Raul Godinez II and Councilmen Jose Hernandez and Silverio Robledo to do the city's business in the dark of night is ample indication of their disrespect for the citizens. They summarily fired the city attorney without explanation. They ignored the questions of the citizens. The people deserve answers and explanations. The real concern is not the replacement of the city attorney but how it was done.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 8, 2012 | By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times
Two San Fernando council members who publicly acknowledged having an affair last November have taken out restraining orders against each other after an alleged violent confrontation, city officials said. Councilman Mario Hernandez and Councilwoman Maribel de la Torre sought the court orders after the June 28 incident, officials said. De la Torre is also the subject of a related police investigation. An officer responding to a call at Hernandez's home on June 28 found the residence had been ransacked and noticed red marks and scratches on the councilman's neck, according to a police report.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 7, 1988 | STEPHANIE CHAVEZ, Times Staff Writer
The San Fernando City Council voted to appoint a new council member rather than hold a special election to fill the seat of former Councilman Ray Silva, who resigned last week because he moved out of the city. Each of the remaining four council members will submit nominations at the council's July 18 meeting. Under the state Election Code, the city must appoint the new council member or call for a special election by July 30, said City Administrator Donald E. Penman.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 8, 2006 | Steve Hymon, Times Staff Writer
Within moments of telling supporters that she was conceding her state Senate race to Los Angeles Councilman Alex Padilla early Wednesday, Assemblywoman Cindy Montanez said she intended to run to replace Padilla at City Hall next year. Montanez's announcement was not surprising, although it came near 2 a.m. -- before all the results were tallied in the Democratic primary that Padilla won by 11 percentage points.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 1993 | CARMEN VALENCIA
An $18.3-million spending plan that calls for little change in city services was adopted by the City Council yesterday. The fiscal 1993-94 budget includes modest funding increases for a handful of city programs, including an allocation of $6,000 to expand a senior nutrition program to Las Palmas Park. "It's a rollover budget from this year to next year," said Mike Moon, the city's director of finance. Total spending is identical to the amount in the current budget, also $18.3 million.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 3, 1999 | IRENE GARCIA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Incumbent Doude Wysbeek lost his bid for a fourth term on the City Council in Tuesday's election, with the three seats at issue going to newcomers Beverly Di Tomaso, Cindy Montanez and Richard Ramos. Ramos, 30, is a third-grade teacher at Morningside Elementary School in San Fernando; Montanez, 25, helps run her family's construction business, and Di Tomaso, 65, is a receptionist at Guide Dogs of America in Sylmar.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 12, 1993 | CAROL CHASTANG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A dispute over how to control proliferation of liquor sales outlets erupted into a screaming match that ended a meeting Monday night between the San Fernando City Council and a citizens group. "We're not going to be intimidated by mob rule," Councilman Doude Wysbeek declared as he motioned that the meeting be ended because of a confrontation between council members and about 25 members of Valley Organized in Community Efforts, or VOICE.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 28, 1989
The Los Angeles Fire Department will continue to provide fire service to the city of San Fernando for the next five years under a new contract approved Tuesday by the Los Angeles City Council. Terms of the new contract had stirred debate for months in San Fernando after Los Angeles city officials issued an ultimatum to the small city to stop selling Fourth of July fireworks or forfeit fire service after Friday, when the present contract expires. The San Fernando City Council banned the sale of fireworks last winter after months of studying what council members concluded were inadequate alternatives, such as starting a San Fernando fire department or contracting with Los Angeles County.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 8, 1994
The Antelope Valley Arts Council will sponsor a Lancaster City Council candidates forum at 7 tonight at the Clubhouse, 42909 15th St. West, Lancaster. Admission is free. Information: (805) 948-7912. A "Meet the Candidates" luncheon will be held by the San Fernando Chamber of Commerce from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Odyssey restaurant, 15600 Odyssey Drive, Granada Hills. Candidates for the San Fernando City Council will be invited to address the audience.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 6, 1994 | MIGUEL BUSTILLO
Residents will have a final chance to listen to San Fernando City Council candidates state their platforms during a forum on Wednesday. The forum, which will be held at 7:30 p.m. at the Santa Rosa Church Hall, 667 Workman St., in San Fernando, is part of an effort to introduce the candidates to more people, said Virginia Barragan, chairwoman of the San Fernando Residents Council, the local branch of Valley Organized In Community Efforts, or VOICE, which is sponsoring the event.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 28, 2003 | Karima A. Haynes, Times Staff Writer
The five candidates for San Fernando City Council share a common vision: They want an economically strong community anchored by a quaint, upscale retail center, more single-family homes and less crime. Despite some big-city problems such as gangs and graffiti, the candidates describe San Fernando as a middle-class enclave among the grittier neighborhoods of the northeast San Fernando Valley. They hope to use that image to lure new businesses, generating new jobs and merchant profits.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 2002 | SHARON BERNSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Across the San Fernando Valley and in Hollywood, 122 candidates for city councils that do not--and may never--exist have been thrust onto the front lines of the secession movement. They and their supporters, as well as others who are unaffiliated with the candidates but support the breakup of Los Angeles, see the scores of grass-roots, underfunded campaigns and volunteer networks as the vanguard of cityhood efforts that seek to remake the map of Southern California.
NEWS
May 14, 2002 | MARIA ELENA FERNANDEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Here, at the Casa Torres banquet hall in San Fernando, it feels like a family affair. The DJ is spinning rancheras and cumbias; the tacos, enchiladas, rice and beans are quickly vanishing, and young children are chasing after one another. It's a festive March night, promising to be long, because the polls have just closed and there will be a delay in the counting of ballots for this primary election. Ni modo. No matter.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 14, 2001 | PATRICK McGREEVY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A mysterious and controversial mailer that implied that City Council candidate Tony Cardenas would bring casinos to the San Fernando Valley was paid for with money from a fund-raiser held by Councilman Hal Bernson, participants said Thursday. Bernson has been feuding with City Council President Alex Padilla, who is the key sponsor of Cardenas' campaign for the 2nd District seat. Bernson acknowledged holding a fund-raising event, but said he had no involvement in deciding the mailer's content.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 8, 2001 | IRENE GARCIA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Maribel De La Torre, the top vote-getter this week in the San Fernando City Council race, will likely become part of a new majority on the council that favors preserving the small-town atmosphere of the blue-collar city of 25,000 in the northeast San Fernando Valley. De La Torre will join her sister, Cindy Montanez, on the five-member panel, making them what many believe are the only siblings elected to serve simultaneously on a city council in the county.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 20, 2001 | IRENE GARCIA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The four candidates in the City Council election March 6 are divided into two camps--one favoring a bustling downtown with nationally known retailers and the other preferring to keep the small-town feel of the city's commercial area. Two incumbents and two political newcomers are running for two open seats on the five-member council and, as in years past, the big issue is economic development of this predominantly Latino city of 25,000 in the northeast San Fernando Valley.
NEWS
January 5, 1994 | Times staff writer Teresa Ann Willis
* Served in the U.S. Army in Germany from 1966-68 and was honorably discharged. * Became a student activist while at Valley College in Van Nuys and founded a branch of MEChA, Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan. * In 1968, worked as a part-time recreation aide at Las Palmas Park. * By 1969, had become a full-time senior recreation leader and worked in that position for 10 years.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 22, 1993
Despite objections from a handful of residents, the San Fernando City Council voted to continue tacking annual user fees on property tax bills to pay for the cost of operating 1,600 street lights in the city. Residents who spoke during a hearing Monday charged that the method used to calculate the fees for property owners in the city's Landscaping and Lighting Assessment District was unfair. For example, a property owner with a 50-foot-wide lot pays $26.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 18, 2000 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN and JEAN GUCCIONE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Amid worries about chromium 6 contamination in tap water, the Glendale and San Fernando city councils agreed separately Tuesday to hire consultants to test their water supplies. Glendale Mayor Dave Weaver said his city was being "proactive" because the state currently has no standard for chromium 6, a suspected carcinogen. "We are taking this action until we are comfortable with the quality of water we are receiving from the treatment plant," Weaver said in a statement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 8, 1999 | IRENE GARCIA
The City Council approved a $10,000 reward this week for information leading to the arrest and conviction of two men involved in the December 1998 slaying of a 37-year-old man. The victim, Michael Beltran, was sitting in front of a house in the 800 block of Mott Street when two men in a tan pickup truck drove by and opened fire, police said. Beltran, a Mission Hills resident who was visiting relatives in San Fernando, died immediately. Another man was treated at a local hospital and released.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|