Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSan Fernando Superior Court
IN THE NEWS

San Fernando Superior Court

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 5, 1991
A 28-year-old Arleta man was sentenced to 10 years in prison Thursday after pleading guilty to charges he set fire to his neighbors' house and spray-painted swastikas on the walls. Paul Myron Downing pleaded guilty in San Fernando Superior Court to eight felony charges, including arson and shooting at an inhabited dwelling, and two misdemeanors. Downing sat with folded arms as San Fernando Superior Court Judge Malcolm H.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 28, 2001 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Pacoima gang member was sentenced to three months in county jail for violating an anti-gang injunction at the San Fernando Gardens housing project, the city attorney's office said Tuesday. San Fernando Superior Court Judge John C. Gunn sentenced 21-year-old Anthony Chavez for violating a court order against trespassing, as well as engaging in other illegal activities, around the northeast San Fernando Valley housing project. Officials with Los Angeles City Atty. Rocky J.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 7, 1991
A Los Angeles man was sentenced Friday in San Fernando Superior Court to more than eight years in prison for assault and selling cocaine, a day after his accomplice was convicted of second-degree murder for killing an undercover police officer in Sylmar who tried to arrest him. Thomas Lee Mixon, 23, was sentenced Friday to 8 years, 4 months in state prison.
NEWS
June 6, 1995 | JULIO MORAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Reopening the quake-damaged San Fernando courthouse will be delayed by about a year because of a miscalculation over repairs and bureaucratic haggling among the government agencies overseeing reconstruction and insurance companies, county officials said. The modern Spanish mission-style edifice was originally scheduled to reopen in April. Instead, the building that houses the North Valley branches of Superior and Municipal Court is not expected to hold court again until next spring.
NEWS
December 27, 1985
A professional stunt man from Granada Hills was convicted of sexually assaulting an emotionally disturbed 11-year-old boy assigned to be his "little brother" by Big Brothers of Greater Los Angeles. Mark D. Yerkes, 28, stood with his head bowed as the verdict by a San Fernando Superior Court jury was read. Friends and relatives who came to court with Yerkes broke into tears when they heard the verdict. Jurors deliberated less than three days.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 25, 1985
Two men who were ordered to repaint a San Fernando Superior Court jail cell after they defaced the walls with graffiti were sentenced Wednesday to three years in state prison on their convictions for assault with a deadly weapon. Superior Court Judge John H. Major last week ordered Michael Munoz, 20, of North Hollywood and Paul Zamora, 22, of San Fernando to remove gang names from the cell in which they had stayed during their trial on the felony assault charges.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 17, 1985
A 37-year-old Northridge man was sentenced Thursday to three years in state prison for molesting a 9-year-old relative of his common-law wife. Miguel Escoto Santoyo pleaded guilty in San Fernando Superior Court to one count of child molesting, which authorities said occurred in August or September, 1983. Escoto Santoyo, an unemployed assembly line worker, attempted to rape the girl but stopped when his wife arrived home, according to a probation report.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 15, 1985
Two Pacoima men charged with killing a 57-year-old Lake View Terrace man while they were burglarizing his house pleaded not guilty Wednesday in San Fernando Superior Court. Kenry E. Lewis, 24, and James L. Settle, 23, are charged with murder, burglary and assault with a deadly weapon. They are accused of breaking into the house on April 9, robbing the occupants, Charles Preyor and William Vincent, at gunpoint, and killing Preyor. Deputy Dist. Atty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 25, 1987
The stepdaughter of a North Hollywood dance instructor who was stabbed to death in his garage last September was sentenced Thursday in San Fernando Superior Court to 15 years to life in prison. Mary Anne Hayden, 47, had pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the slaying of Edward Gay, 72, who was an active teacher specializing in tap dance. Prosecutors said Hayden and her boyfriend, Robert Holmes, 25, murdered Gay to collect her inheritance.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 25, 1994 | ALAN ABRAHAMSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The San Fernando courthouse, which was damaged extensively in the January earthquake, will reopen in April, Superior Court officials said as bidding began Monday on the first phase of the multimillion-dollar fix-up job. Court and city officials had hoped that the four-story building, which provided a steady stream of customers for nearby businesses in downtown San Fernando, would reopen next March.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 18, 1994 | ALAN ABRAHAMSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Christopher Koch was minding his own business, doing the chores that fill a courtroom clerk's day, when he sensed the swirl about his ankles. He peeked under his desk in Van Nuys. Fleas were sampling his shoes. Fleas were dining on his socks. Fleas were nipping on his pants. Incredible numbers of fleas were in the air, swarming about like a cyclone, leaping up through a hole in the courtroom floor. "I saw fleas everywhere," Koch said. "It was absolutely, positively disgusting."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 1994 | THOM MROZEK, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Already faced with a courtroom shortage, officials in Van Nuys Superior Court suffered another hit Wednesday when an entire floor was closed for as long as a month. As a result of Sunday's 5.3-magnitude aftershock, four courtrooms on the seventh floor of the Superior Court building were declared off-limits due to possible asbestos contamination.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 23, 1993 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A police dispatcher sued the city of San Fernando and its tiny, predominantly male Police Department Wednesday, contending that officers sexually harassed her by hanging semi-nude photographs of a woman who looks like her in the men's locker room. The suit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, seeks unspecified damages.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 11, 1992 | JULIO MORAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge on Wednesday endorsed a policy that subjects repeat drug offenders in San Fernando courts to minimum prison sentences that are twice as long as those routinely handed out in other Los Angeles County courthouses. San Fernando Superior Court Judge Malcolm Mackey's ruling came on a motion by the San Fernando public defender's office.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 27, 1991
A 24-year-old Sun Valley man was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison Tuesday for the 1986 rape and beating death of an 83-year-old woman. Eddie Wayne Stone, who pleaded guilty earlier this month to first-degree murder, was sentenced in San Fernando Superior Court by Judge Malcolm H. Mackey for the murder of Frances Landry.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 28, 2001 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Pacoima gang member was sentenced to three months in county jail for violating an anti-gang injunction at the San Fernando Gardens housing project, the city attorney's office said Tuesday. San Fernando Superior Court Judge John C. Gunn sentenced 21-year-old Anthony Chavez for violating a court order against trespassing, as well as engaging in other illegal activities, around the northeast San Fernando Valley housing project. Officials with Los Angeles City Atty. Rocky J.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 29, 1992
A Pasadena computer technician Friday was ordered to stand trial on a first-degree murder charge in the death of a securities broker who was killed last year outside a Northridge delicatessen. Marva DeCarlo Johnson, 30, could face the death sentence if convicted in the killing of John Collett, 29, of Agoura Hills, because the prosecution alleges that the victim was killed for financial gain. Collett was shot in the head at point-blank range on Oct. 28, 1991, about 1:30 p.m. outside Brent's Deli.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 15, 1991 | JULIO MORAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The supervising judge of San Fernando Superior Court is hoping to clear up a backlog of civil cases by offering attorneys two ways to dispose of their cases: "Set a date or have a shotgun wedding." Judge David M. Schacter said that if opposing attorneys cannot agree by Thursday on the selection of a retired judge from the so-called rent-a-judge program to hear their case, then he will pick one for them.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|