Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSan Juan Capistrano Ca Suits
IN THE NEWS

San Juan Capistrano Ca Suits

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 23, 1992 | LEN HALL
After 14 years and $800,000 in city expense, the Battle of Porcupine Hill is over. The City Council voted 3 to 2 Tuesday night to give up the fight to save a ridgeline and to allow developer Robert Maurer to build his dream home on a hill overlooking Capistrano Valley. Tuesday's vote followed more than five hours of negotiations last Friday conducted by Orange County Superior Court Judge Robert O. Frazee. "It was time to have the issue settled," Councilman Gary L. Hausdorfer said.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 16, 1998 | From Associated Press
A parochial school in San Juan Capistrano has been ordered to pay $802,000 in compensation to a teenager who said she was raped by her English teacher. A federal court ordered the payment in a civil case Tuesday after a jury found that St. Margaret's Episcopal School and headmaster Mark Campaigne violated sexual harassment laws by not protecting the girl, who is now 19.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 19, 1993 | ANNA CEKOLA, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
After two years of court battles and about $800,000 in legal costs, city officials declared victory Thursday over local attorney Carlos F. Negrete, who had sued alleging government waste. Orange County Superior Court Judge David C. Velasquez on Wednesday dismissed the last part of Negrete's lawsuit that alleged misuse of government funds involving the city's $1-million purchase of the San Juan Capistrano Decorative Arts Study Center in 1988.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 29, 1995 | JULIE FATE SULLIVAN and LEN HALL
A couple who bought a former city manager's home from the city--and who maintain that it was damaged--have lost their bid to get San Juan Capistrano to buy it back. City Atty. Richard K. Denhalter said that he was notified this week that an arbitrator has ruled in favor of the city, which was sued in 1992 by homeowners Meg and Richard Hassett.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 29, 1995 | JULIE FATE SULLIVAN and LEN HALL
A couple who bought a former city manager's home from the city--and who maintain that it was damaged--have lost their bid to get San Juan Capistrano to buy it back. City Atty. Richard K. Denhalter said that he was notified this week that an arbitrator has ruled in favor of the city, which was sued in 1992 by homeowners Meg and Richard Hassett.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 1, 1994 | JEFF BEAN
The owners of four businesses that must be moved from historic downtown buildings have filed a claim against the city seeking a minimum of $1 million. Tenants of the mostly vacant El Peon complex say they should be compensated for losing their location because of the city's recent sale of the property to investors who plan to renovate the structures.
NEWS
February 22, 1989
An Orange County judge ruled unconstitutional a slow-growth measure approved by San Juan Capistrano voters in November that would have banned major new developments. Superior Court Judge William F. McDonald found that the city's Measure X--virtually identical to a countywide initiative that failed in June--placed an unfair burden on future developers to correct problems with traffic, sewer and other public works caused by previous developments.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 2, 1995 | JEFF BEAN
The owners of four businesses that were forced to move from a group of historic downtown buildings have sued the city, contending that they are owed money for relocation and other expenses. The city sold the El Peon Complex last year to a private developer, who then served eviction notices to tenants before beginning a $2-million renovation project. The lawsuit, which names the city and its redevelopment agency, seeks punitive damages and general damages for loss of business goodwill.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 1991 | LEN HALL
Following the advice of their lawyer, City Council members have voted to halt independent accounting and legal reviews of five municipal loans made to the city manager. Council members said they suspended the outside reviews Tuesday night because of City Atty. Thomas P. Clark Jr.'s concern that release of those studies would compromise the city's position in battling a lawsuit filed recently by local activists.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 5, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY
A Superior Court judge has dismissed the final portion of a taxpayer's suit against the city of San Juan Capistrano and several city officials, including City Manager Stephen B. Julian. San Juan Capistrano attorney Carlos F. Negrete had filed the suit charging that a $250,000 home loan and other benefits provided to Julian were improper. Judge David C. Velasquez threw out part of Negrete's case against the city in a ruling last month.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 8, 1995 | GREG HERNANDEZ
The parents of a 14-year-old boy who died last year in a fire at a storage yard in San Juan Capistrano sued several people in Orange County Superior Court in Santa Ana on Thursday, alleging they all bear some responsibility. On Sept. 7, 1994, Samuel E. Peek III and two friends slipped past the caretaker for an end-of-summer sleep-over inside of a motor home that was stored on a lot in a private community. A fire, apparently caused by a propane lantern, broke out about 4 a.m.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 2, 1995 | JEFF BEAN
The owners of four businesses that were forced to move from a group of historic downtown buildings have sued the city, contending that they are owed money for relocation and other expenses. The city sold the El Peon Complex last year to a private developer, who then served eviction notices to tenants before beginning a $2-million renovation project. The lawsuit, which names the city and its redevelopment agency, seeks punitive damages and general damages for loss of business goodwill.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 1, 1994 | JEFF BEAN
The owners of four businesses that must be moved from historic downtown buildings have filed a claim against the city seeking a minimum of $1 million. Tenants of the mostly vacant El Peon complex say they should be compensated for losing their location because of the city's recent sale of the property to investors who plan to renovate the structures.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 3, 1994 | LEN HALL
A bitter, nearly three-year-old series of lawsuits pitting a local attorney against the city of San Juan Capistrano ended quietly this week with both sides agreeing to give up the fight. Attorney Carlos F. Negrete and the City Council agreed Tuesday to settle the lawsuits over an alleged misuse of public funds by dismissing all pending litigation, claims and appeals and agreeing not to sue each other for five years.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 15, 1993 | ANNA CEKOLA
Voters overwhelmingly supported a controversial part of the city's mobile-home rent control ordinance in a special election Tuesday, but the battle may not be over. A representative for a group of park owners said Wednesday that they have no choice now but to sue the city in hopes of overturning rent control limits on recently vacated mobile-home spaces.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 19, 1993 | ANNA CEKOLA, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
After two years of court battles and about $800,000 in legal costs, city officials declared victory Thursday over local attorney Carlos F. Negrete, who had sued alleging government waste. Orange County Superior Court Judge David C. Velasquez on Wednesday dismissed the last part of Negrete's lawsuit that alleged misuse of government funds involving the city's $1-million purchase of the San Juan Capistrano Decorative Arts Study Center in 1988.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 4, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After more than a week of trial, attorneys for the city of San Juan Capistrano and City Manager Stephen B. Julian have asked a Superior Court judge to dismiss a taxpayer's suit involving a controversial home loan and other compensation Julian received from the city. Superior Court Judge David C. Velasquez, who has been hearing the non-jury trial since the beginning of last week, said he would rule on the motion sometime today.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 6, 1989
The City Council on Tuesday unanimously agreed not to appeal a judge's ruling that struck down the city's slow-growth initiative. Superior Court Judge William F. McDonald in February ruled the initiative, Measure X, unconstitutional. It officially became invalid March 10. The lawsuit, brought against the city by Verde San Juan Estates General Partnership and Kaiser Development Co.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 5, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY
A Superior Court judge has dismissed the final portion of a taxpayer's suit against the city of San Juan Capistrano and several city officials, including City Manager Stephen B. Julian. San Juan Capistrano attorney Carlos F. Negrete had filed the suit charging that a $250,000 home loan and other benefits provided to Julian were improper. Judge David C. Velasquez threw out part of Negrete's case against the city in a ruling last month.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 5, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY
A Superior Court judge in Santa Ana on Tuesday dismissed a taxpayer's suit against the city of San Juan Capistrano and its city manager, Stephen B. Julian, which challenged Julian's employment benefits. The suit, brought by San Juan Capistrano attorney Carlos F. Negrete, charged that a $250,000 home loan made to Julian by the city, along with other non-salary benefits during the city manager's 11-year tenure, were improper and wasteful. However, Judge David C.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|