Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSan Ysidro
IN THE NEWS

San Ysidro

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 30, 1985
Commercial vehicles carrying merchandise into the United States from Mexico will now be required to use the Otay Mesa border crossing instead of the San Ysidro port of entry, said Allan J. Rappoport, district director of the U.S. Customs. Beginning Monday, the Virginia Street commercial crossing at San Ysidro will be closed to northbound traffic because of insufficient use since the new border crossing opened in February.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 25, 2014 | By Tony Perry
SAN DIEGO - A veteran U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer was sentenced Monday to 7½ years in federal prison after being convicted of helping smugglers bring marijuana and undocumented immigrants into the U.S. for a decade. Lorne "Hammer" Jones, 50, a former Marine, received as much as $500,000 from smugglers, allowing a lavish lifestyle that included a boat, trips to Las Vegas and season tickets to San Diego Chargers games, prosecutors said. Jones had been an inspector since 1994 and worked at the San Ysidro and Otay Mesa crossings.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 4, 2014 | By Laura J. Nelson
At a small memorial service in Orange County on Saturday, loved ones remembered a family that disappeared four years ago and was recently found in shallow desert graves.  At the Vineyard Community Church in Laguna Niguel, about 200 friends and family members celebrated Joseph and Summer McStay and their two young sons. The family  disappeared in 2010 . Their skeletal remains were found in the desert near Victorville  in November, and their deaths remain unsolved.  The service was closed to the media.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 20, 2013 | By Tony Perry
SAN DIEGO - A Customs and Border Protection officer was convicted Friday of conspiring for more than a decade to help smugglers bring marijuana and undocumented immigrants into the U.S. A jury in federal court deliberated for five days before convicting Lorne Leslie "Hammer" Jones, 50, of helping smugglers enter the U.S. through the San Ysidro and Otay Mesa border crossings. "Lorne Jones allowed greed to destroy everything his badge represents," said U.S. Atty. Laura Duffy. Jones had been an inspector since 1994.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 26, 2013 | By Richard Marosi
SAN DIEGO - U.S. Border Patrol agents confronting more than 100 suspected illegal border crossers were pelted by rocks and bottles during a tense standoff Sunday afternoon along the U.S.-Mexico border, federal authorities said. Nobody was seriously injured and it was unclear whether the crowd was trying to enter the U.S. illegally or hold a demonstration. One Tijuana newspaper reported that a crew working on a feature film may have orchestrated the incident. Whatever the case, the sight of the large group of people surging beyond the border within a few blocks of San Diego homes rattled agents' nerves.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 26, 2013 | By Richard Marosi
More than 100 people pelted U.S. Border Patrol agents with rocks and bottles during a rowdy confrontation Sunday afternoon along the U.S.-Mexico border, federal authorities said.  Nobody was seriously injured and it's not clear whether the crowd was trying to enter the U.S. illegally or hold a demonstration, but the sight of a large crowd surging beyond the border rattled nerves. Agents said it harked to the days in the 1990s when migrants would run across the border en masse, in so-called banzai runs that would overwhelm agents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 16, 2013 | By Rick Rojas
Confirmation that two members of the McStay family who went missing in 2010 were found buried in the desert outside Victorville brought a small measure of peace to family members. But they said they are determined to know who killed them. While confirming the identities of Joseph McStay, 42, and his wife, Summer, 45, San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon would not say whether the two other sets of skeletal remains discovered at the site were that of the couple's children, Gianni, 4, and Joseph Jr., 3. PHOTOS: Mystery over a family that disappeared "It gives us courage to know that they're together and they're in a better place," said Joseph McStay's brother, Mike McStay.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 15, 2013 | By Rick Rojas and James Rainey
Nearly four years ago, the McStays left their snug home in suburban San Diego County on a chilly February evening. Piling into their Isuzu Trooper, parents Joseph and Summer and young sons Gianni and Joseph Jr. left behind two dogs, two bowls of popcorn and, soon, a mystery. Their car turned up four days later in the parking lot of a mini-mall near the Mexican border, with a few birthday toys for one of the boys tossed in back. But there was no sign of the McStays. About 1,374 days later and about 100 miles to the north, San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies uncovered the skeletal remains of the parents and two small bodies believed to be their boys, authorities said Friday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 15, 2013 | By Rick Rojas
Two sets of skeletal remains found in Victorville this week have been identified as members of the missing McStay family, who mysteriously vanished from their San Diego County home in February 2010, a relative confirmed to The Times. San Bernardino County sheriff's officials told a family member Thursday that the remains had been identified as Joseph McStay, 42, and his wife, Summer, 45, according to Patrick McStay, the father of Joseph McStay. The remains of two additional bodies were also found Monday by a motorcyclist, off-roading through a remote area of San Bernardino County, near Victorville.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 2, 2013 | By Tony Perry
SAN DIEGO - At a busy corner in the Skyline neighborhood, City Councilman and mayoral candidate David Alvarez is looking with annoyance at a gravel-strewn lot surrounded by a wire fence. Inside the fence is an abandoned gas station and tall weeds. The city bought the property a decade ago, promising a fire station. It was never built. "This eyesore degrades not just property values but also community pride, and that should not happen anywhere in San Diego," Alvarez told a small gathering.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 23, 2013 | By Tony Perry and Richard Marosi
SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Mayor Bob Filner has not yet officially resigned, but one high-profile candidate has already signed up for a special election to take his place. Former Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, who lost in last year's mayoral primary, has filed papers with the city clerk indicating an intention to start fund-raising. Meanwhile, Dist. Atty. Bonnie Dumanis, who also lost in the primary, has ruled out a second run. But former Councilman Carl DeMaio has said he has not decided whether he will file as a candidate.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|