Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSanta Cruz
IN THE NEWS

Santa Cruz

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 15, 2013 | By Maura Dolan
SAN FRANCISCO--Bay Area commuters received assurance late Tuesday night that BART trains would run Wednesday as unions and managers continued to try to reach a labor agreement. Federal mediator George Cohen said the unions had authorized him to say that  Bay Area Rapid Transit  trains would run as normal Wednesday. Union leaders had tweeted out the news minutes earlier. “There will be train service operating all day tomorrow,” Cohen told reporters. Both sides returned to the negotiating table at 1 p.m. Tuesday after ending a previous marathon session at 5:30 a.m. Cohen did not say how long talks were to continue, though he did say progress was being made.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 15, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
A suspect led officers on a car chase in the San Fernando Valley before the pursuit ended Tuesday evening in front of the Los Angeles Police Department's Mission Station. The suspect was shot with a less-than-lethal device and then was carried away by officers into the station, the LAPD said. CRAZY CAR CHASES ACROSS L.A. Television news footage showed the man driving recklessly through Arleta and Pacoima. Before he was carried away, he was surrounded by officers as he lay face-down on Sepulveda Boulevard.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 15, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
Three people were shot and killed Tuesday night in El Monte, authorities said. The two women and a man and were pronounced dead at the scene in the 9900 block of Marshall Stree t, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. INTERACTIVE: Times Homicide Report The shooting was reported about 7 p.m. in a neighborhood north of the 10 Freeway.  Homicide detectives were being dispatched, and no additional details were immediately available. Since January 2007, at least 30 homicides have been reported in El Monte, according to T he Times Homicide Report database . ALSO: Five reputed gang members held in slaying of Santa Cruz boy, 12 Autopsy planned for Downey football player who collapsed on field Explosions at LAX: Police ramp up security where dry ice bombs planted Twitter: @LAJourno robert.lopez@latimes.com
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 14, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
Five reputed gang members have been arrested in connection with the drive-by slaying of a 12-year-old boy last year in Santa Cruz, law enforcement authorities said Monday. Joseph Mendoza was gunned down Aug. 8, 2012, as he was standing on a sidewalk in the city's Lower Ocean neighborhood near the San Lorenzo River. Police said the attackers drove up in a vehicle and that multiple shots were fired from a handgun. Andrew Carerra, 19, and four juveniles were arrested in connection with the killing, the Santa Cruz Police Department said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 28, 2013 | By Larry Gordon
The U.S. Department of Education has exonerated two more UC campuses - Irvine and Santa Cruz - of allegations that they fostered anti-Semitic climates by allowing protests against Israeli policies and other incidents that Jewish students contended amounted to illegal harassment. UC Berkeley announced Tuesday similar findings that ended an investigation by the department's Office for Civil Rights into complaints by Jewish students. Related probes at UC Irvine and UC Santa Cruz also finished with findings that the schools were not at fault, officials said Wednesday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 5, 2013 | By Lee Romney, This article has been corrected. See the note below for details.
SANTA CRUZ - After months spent in a state mental hospital, Charles Anthony Edwards was brought Monday to a Santa Cruz County courtroom, where a judge will determine whether he should be tried in a slaying that shocked this beach town. Edwards' public defender conceded during the first day of an expected two-day preliminary hearing that his client had been identified by two witnesses to the stabbing of downtown business owner Shannon Collins. The stocky 44-year-old Edwards was arrested not far from the street where Collins fell, her right carotid artery and jugular vein slashed.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 4, 2013 | From Los Angeles Times staff and wire reports
After Philip Slater published "The Pursuit of Loneliness," a 1970 best-seller that delivered a blistering critique of American culture, he moved to California and adopted a lifestyle aimed at avoiding the fate of the fellow citizens he saw as so unhappy. "Pursuit" argued that despite widespread influence and prosperity Americans were overwhelmingly dissatisfied. A key reason for that, he said, was a collective obsession with the success of the individual. The book established him as a social critic and set up a future for Slater as an academic.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 3, 2013 | By Joseph Serna and Matt Hamilton
A summer camp counselor was killed and four others were hurt Wednesday outside Yosemite National Park when a tree fell onto a campfire circle, officials said. About 8:30 a.m., a 3- to 4-foot-wide oak tree toppled onto a bench and campfire circle outside the dining hall during breakfast time at Camp Tawonga near the park. Annais Rittenberg, 21, an art counselor at the camp, was killed. "I've lost a beautiful child through that tree," said Rittenberg's mother, Penny Kreitzer.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 1, 2013 | By Matt Hamilton
Two women drowned Sunday off the coast eight miles north of Santa Cruz, authorities say. Aylene Semana, 28, of Milpitas and her sister-in-law, Leoannie Binas-Semana, 30, of San Francisco, were fishing with their husbands Sunday afternoon off of the cliffs north of the sandy beaches at Bonny Doon Beach when high surf swept them into the sea. According to the the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department, the victims' husbands, brothers whose names...
SPORTS
June 21, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
On a run of winning world titles in three divisions during his last four fights, Southland boxer Abner Mares is moving toward his first world featherweight title defense Aug. 24 at Carson's newly named StubHub Center against former champion Jhonny Gonzalez. Mares' promoter, Richard Schaefer, told The Times on Friday that he's finalizing contracts for Mares (26-0-1, 14 knockouts) and the 31-year-old Gonzalez (54-8, 46 KOs). Schaefer said he's already won a purse bid over rival promoters Top Rank and Fernando Beltran of Mexico to place a super-bantamweight title fight on that same Aug. 24 card.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|