Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSave Our Beach Committee
IN THE NEWS

Save Our Beach Committee

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 1989
A group of Santa Monica slow-growth activists launched an initiative drive Thursday to ban the construction of hotels, motels and large restaurants on Santa Monica Beach. Representatives of the newly formed "Save Our Beach Committee" said they hope to gather 10,000 signatures to put the initiative on the ballot in a special election later this year.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 1989
A group of Santa Monica slow-growth activists launched an initiative drive Thursday to ban the construction of hotels, motels and large restaurants on Santa Monica Beach. Representatives of the newly formed "Save Our Beach Committee" said they hope to gather 10,000 signatures to put the initiative on the ballot in a special election later this year.
Advertisement
NEWS
July 27, 1989
Save Our Beach Committee last week submitted a petition with more than 10,000 signatures for an initiative that would ban all new beachfront hotels and restaurants larger than 2,000 square feet. The county registrar-recorder has 30 days to verify the signatures. At least 8,420 are needed to qualify. If the initiative qualifies, the City Council must adopt the initiative or place the issue on the ballot in a special election within 88 to 103 days.
NEWS
April 30, 1989 | ALAN CITRON, Times Staff Writer
The manager of the venerable Sand and Sea Club, which is supposed to be leveled to make way for a luxury hotel, has confirmed he is backing an initiative that would ban hotel construction along Santa Monica Beach. Douglas Badt, who has managed the club for 25 years, is expected to play an active role in the anti-hotel campaign being waged by a slow-growth group known as the "Save Our Beach Committee." He said that hotels such as the one planned for the Sand and Sea Club site block access to the beach.
NEWS
August 24, 1989 | JULIO MORAN, Times Staff Writer
Supporters of an initiative that would ban new beachfront hotels in Santa Monica failed to collect enough valid signatures to force a special election, but the City Council may call an election anyway for that initiative and a competing one that has yet to qualify for the ballot. The City Council on Tuesday night asked the city staff to study the financial impact the two initiatives could have on city revenues and expenditures.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 29, 1985 | JUDY PASTERNAK, Times Staff Writer
Residents of Malibu Colony, the oceanfront enclave that is home to scores of movie stars and show-business moguls, have rejected a proposal to open their beach to the public for so-called "passive uses," such as sitting on the sand, sunbathing and taking a dip. As a result, a dispute between the California Coastal Commission and 18 colony homeowners appears headed for a hearing in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
NEWS
June 4, 1989 | TRACY WILKINSON, Times Staff Writer
The war of initiatives has begun. A newly formed group of Santa Monicans is seeking support for an initiative that would ban hotel construction throughout the city for three years. Two oceanfront hotel projects pending approval would be exempt from the measure, which also would establish bay and park cleanup funds using hotel bed taxes. It is the second initiative drive to emerge in as many months, and is aimed at countering an earlier effort that would ban all construction of hotels and large restaurants along Santa Monica's coastline.
NEWS
March 26, 1989 | HECTOR TOBAR, Times Staff Writer
A group of Santa Monica slow-growth activists is seeking support for an initiative that would ban the construction of hotels, motels and large restaurants along Santa Monica Beach. Representatives of the newly-formed "Save Our Beach Committee" said they hope to gather 10,000 signatures backing the initiative, enough to place it on the ballot for a special election this year.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 4, 1989 | HECTOR TOBAR, Times Staff Writer
A group of Santa Monica slow-growth activists is seeking support for an initiative that would ban the construction of hotels, motels and large restaurants along Santa Monica Beach. Representatives of the newly formed "Save Our Beach Committee" said they hope to gather 10,000 signatures backing the initiative, enough to place it on the ballot for a special election this year.
NEWS
September 26, 1985 | JUDY PASTERNAK, Times Staff Writer
Residents of Malibu Colony--the oceanfront enclave that is home to scores of movie stars and show business moguls--have rejected a proposal to open their beach to the public for so-called "passive uses," such as sitting on the sand, sunbathing and taking a dip in the water. As a result, a dispute between the California Coastal Commission and 18 colony homeowners appears headed for a hearing in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
NEWS
August 5, 1990 | JULIO MORAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The battle to get city approval for a luxury hotel on public beachland in Santa Monica is over, but the war has just begun. The Santa Monica City Council late Wednesday night concluded more than 18 hours of public debate over three days by narrowly approving a development agreement with restaurateur Michael McCarty. McCarty plans to build a 160-room, $300-a-night hotel and community center on nearly five acres of land on Pacific Coast Highway where the private Sand and Sea Club now stands.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|