Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSeptember 11 2001 Terrorist Attack
IN THE NEWS

September 11 2001 Terrorist Attack

NATIONAL
October 22, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
Workers recovered more human remains from several manholes as New York City began a new search for Sept. 11 victims. The search was ordered after the discovery of dozens of bones in an abandoned manhole last week. Utility and city officials on Saturday hand-removed material from other manholes after tearing into the pavement on a service road along the site's western edge. City officials said that about 15 more pieces of remains had been recovered.
Advertisement
NATIONAL
July 25, 2003 | Greg Miller, Times Staff Writer
U.S. intelligence squandered its "best chance" to uncover the Sept. 11 plot by missing repeated opportunities to track two San Diego-based hijackers, according to a long-awaited congressional report released Thursday that documents years of intelligence breakdowns and feckless attempts to penetrate or strike Al Qaeda. The nearly 900-page report provides a sweeping and damning account -- with plentiful new details -- of the U.S.
BUSINESS
November 8, 2001 | MARC BALLON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Battered by the economic fallout from the terrorist attacks, House2Home Inc. said Wednesday that it is going out of business, closing all 42 home furnishing stores only months after splashy grand openings. House2Home, which converted the stores to cavernous home-furnishing businesses after struggling for years as a home-improvement chain, said the sluggish economy had slowed sales. But the business went into a tailspin after the Sept.
WORLD
November 13, 2002 | Dirk Laabs, Special to The Times
A German college student who was part of the radical Islamic scene for two years in the late 1990s said a group of young men that included three Sept. 11 hijackers was constantly searching for a way to join a Muslim holy war. Shahid Nickels, a 21-year-old German convert to Islam, said in court Tuesday that the young Arabs were almost obsessed with jihad, cheerfully singing songs about martyrdom and talking of little else. "They always talked about Kosovo, Afghanistan, Chechnya.
NEWS
September 22, 2001 | CAROL J. WILLIAMS and MICHAEL J. GOODMAN and WILLIAM C. REMPEL, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
German prosecutors issued international arrest warrants Friday for two men associated with Mohamed Atta, the only one of 19 hijackers who is known to have contacted members of all four terrorist cells responsible for the attacks on New York and the Pentagon. The warrants accused Said Bahaji, 26, and Ramzi Binalshibh, 29, of providing criminal assistance to the perpetrators of the terrorist attacks, which allegedly makes them culpable for "several thousand murders."
NATIONAL
January 25, 2009 | Nicholas Riccardi
As he always does on Sept. 11, Ed Casso spent much of the day last year in his living room watching the solemn memorials on television. It had been precisely seven years since terrorists hijacked commercial jets and crashed them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Casso, 34, could feel the passage of time taking its toll. "Every year there's a little less coverage," he said. "Every year there's a little less feeling."
NATIONAL
July 29, 2008 | Carol J. Williams, Times Staff Writer
Jurors hearing the first war crimes case against a Guantanamo prisoner watched a graphic 90-minute film chronicling the history of Al Qaeda on Monday, which included footage of mangled corpses in the rubble of the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombing in Kenya. The disturbing images, including some not previously released by U.S. authorities, were part of a film produced and narrated by a prosecution witness under contract with the tribunal hierarchy, the Office of Military Commissions.
NATIONAL
September 11, 2006 | Josh Meyer, Times Staff Writer
As Americans consider whether they are more safe or less five years after the Sept. 11 attacks, one thing is certain: They are being monitored by their own government in ways unforeseen before terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. Within minutes of the strikes, U.S. law enforcement and intelligence-gathering authorities mobilized to find the culprits and prevent another attack. They increased the tapping of Americans' phone calls and voice mails.
NATIONAL
April 7, 2004 | From Newsday
Firefighters and volunteer rescuers who toiled at ground zero for months after the Sept. 11 attacks will be eligible for a long-term health screening program paid for by an $81-million federal grant, officials announced Tuesday.
NATIONAL
September 10, 2006 | Josh Getlin, Times Staff Writer
On a recent afternoon in Midtown Manhattan, Bernadette Hogan was taking a cab home from a dental appointment when traffic suddenly halted on Fifth Avenue. A burning smell was in the air and police cars were flashing their lights ahead. Hogan panicked in a way that's become common here since Sept. 11. "I thought, 'Oh my God, where are my kids, how will I get out of here, have other parts of the city also been hit?' " said Hogan, a psychologist and mother of two. "And then it died down.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|