Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSeptember 11 2001 Terrorist Attack
IN THE NEWS

September 11 2001 Terrorist Attack

NATIONAL
January 29, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
The museum planned for ground zero should include a memorial to workers who died after becoming ill during cleanup of World Trade Center debris, two state lawmakers said, adding they would introduce state legislation to ensure those workers are recognized. "We want to tell the story of the 9/11 workers who rushed here to help put the city back on its feet, who got sick because they did that, and now unfortunately many of them have died," said Assemblyman Michael Gianaris.
Advertisement
NATIONAL
December 30, 2006 | From the Associated Press
The search for human remains at the World Trade Center site will be expanded, a city official said Friday. In a memo to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg about the search, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said that debris believed to be from the towers had been dug up from under a service road on the site's western edge and that more of the road would be excavated. Crews have reported finding computer parts, office carpet, electrical wires and steel from the building.
NATIONAL
December 25, 2006 | Greg Miller, Times Staff Writer
The Senate Intelligence Committee has rejected as untrue one of the most disturbing claims about the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes -- a congressman's contention that a team of military analysts identified Mohamed Atta or other hijackers before the attacks -- according to a summary of the panel's investigation obtained by The Times. The conclusion contradicts assertions by Rep. Curt Weldon (R-Pa.) and a few military officers that U.S.
NATIONAL
November 18, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
A man accused of lying about an acquaintance who was one of the Sept. 11 hijackers was acquitted of all counts in his perjury case in New York, ending a legal battle that began days after the attacks. Osama Awadallah, 26, turned to look at his crying father as the verdict was read. "I knew that justice would prevail," he said to reporters. "My goal will be to continue to be a very good citizen in this country."
WORLD
November 17, 2006 | Jeffrey Fleishman, Times Staff Writer
Germany's highest criminal court Thursday found a Moroccan man with close ties to the Sept. 11 hijackers guilty of being an accessory to mass murder in a case marked by overturned verdicts, frustrated prosecutors and diplomatic strains between Washington and Berlin. The Federal Court of Justice in Karlsruhe reversed a lower court ruling that found Mounir Motassadeq guilty only of belonging to a terrorist organization.
NATIONAL
November 7, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
Workers found three bone fragments in a second manhole at the World Trade Center site in New York, close to where about 200 bones had already been recovered, officials said. The bone pieces, 1 to 2 inches long, were recovered along a service road on the site's western edge, said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office. They were the first pieces of remains recovered from the site in more than a week.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 30, 2006 | Mark Olsen, Special to The Times
If the biopic has been a resilient award winner during the last few years, there is another form bubbling up that might best be thought of as the tragi-pic. Exploring circumstances leading up to and following a singular event is the main thrust of such recent films as "Flags of Our Fathers," "The Queen" and "Bobby." Perhaps nothing exemplifies the emerging trend quite so strongly as "World Trade Center" and "United 93," both exploring the highly charged emotional terrain of Sept. 11.
NATIONAL
October 26, 2006 | Ellen Barry, Times Staff Writer
At 9 a.m., ground zero had come to life: Hundreds of financial workers were crossing the skywalk clutching muffins and coffee, and construction workers milled around the site of the planned memorial to the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attack. In the commotion, you could almost miss the four forensic investigators at the southwest corner of the site. They zipped themselves into hooded white suits, strapped on goggles, and set about looking for body parts.
NATIONAL
October 22, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
Workers recovered more human remains from several manholes as New York City began a new search for Sept. 11 victims. The search was ordered after the discovery of dozens of bones in an abandoned manhole last week. Utility and city officials on Saturday hand-removed material from other manholes after tearing into the pavement on a service road along the site's western edge. City officials said that about 15 more pieces of remains had been recovered.
NATIONAL
October 21, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
The city said it would search parts of the World Trade Center site again for remains of Sept. 11 dead after bones were pulled out of an abandoned manhole. The family members of victims demanded that construction stop at ground zero until the remains of all of their loved ones were recovered. They also called for investigations into the failure to completely remove remains. Mayor Michael R.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|