Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSergei Filin
IN THE NEWS

Sergei Filin

FEATURED ARTICLES
ENTERTAINMENT
September 19, 2013 | By David Ng
Sergei Filin, the artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow, has returned to the renowned theater for the first time since undergoing operations to deal with the aftermath of a horrific acid attack that severely damaged his eyesight. Filin, 42, wore sunglasses inside the theater Tuesday, where he was surrounded by journalists. According to reports, he said he felt well but isn't able to return to work yet. Filin has traveled to Germany to receive treatment for his eyes, and his vision has reportedly recovered somewhat but is still significantly impaired.
ARTICLES BY DATE
ENTERTAINMENT
December 3, 2013 | By David Ng
The Bolshoi Ballet dancer accused of organizing an acid attack on the company's artistic director in January has been found guilty and sentenced to six years in prison. The decision, handed down Tuesday in a Moscow court, capped a lurid courtroom drama that exposed internal corruption in the storied ballet company. Pavel Dmitrichenko had been accused of masterminding the assault on Bolshoi artistic director Sergei Filin in January. The acid attack left Filin with severe facial burns and damage to his eyesight.
Advertisement
NEWS
June 21, 2013 | By Deborah Vankin
Sergei Filin -- the artistic director of Moscow's Bolshoi Ballet who was attacked with acid this year -- has been left nearly blind despite 18 operations, according to company spokeswoman Katerina Novikova. He is preparing for a 19 th operation at a clinic in Germany. Filin, 42, was returning home late at night in January when a masked man hurled sulfuric acid in his face. He suffered severe burns to his eyes and face. Initial reports, after his treatment in Germany, were optimistic, but Filin's right eye is completely sightless and he's lost 95% of his vision overall,  Novikova said.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 29, 2013 | By David Ng
Prosecutors in the case of a Bolshoi Ballet dancer accused of masterminding an acid attack on the company's artistic director want the defendant to serve nine years in a labor camp. A verdict in the Moscow court case is expected on Tuesday. Pavel Dmitrichenko has pleaded not guilty to ordering the January attack on artistic director Sergei Filin, who suffered severe facial burns and damage to his eyes. The attack was allegedly carried out by Yury Zarutsky, who is facing a possible sentence of 10 years, according to reports.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 6, 2013 | By Sergei L. Loiko
MOSCOW -- Sergei Filin, the Bolshoi Theater ballet artistic director who suffered serious burns over his face and body from an acid attack earlier this year, made an emotional appearance in court Wednesday, speaking publicly for the first and likely last time. “I will not forgive anybody for what happened,” Filin, 43, said firmly without looking toward the cage that held the three defendants, Pavel Dmitrichenko, 29, a leading Bolshoi ballet soloist who is charged with masterminding the plan, and two men who have been indicted for carrying it out. During more than two hours of testimony, Filin broke down, sobbing, as he laid out a detailed picture of the animosity and threats that he said he suffered at the Bolshoi Theater ever since he -- a former Bolshoi star dancer  --  returned to lead its ballet company in 2011.
WORLD
March 5, 2013 | By Khristina Narizhnaya and Sergei L. Loiko, Los Angeles Times
MOSCOW - Police detained and questioned three people, including a principal Bolshoi Ballet dancer, as suspects in the acid attack that almost blinded Sergei Filin, the Bolshoi's artistic director, a crime that cast a shadow on Moscow's iconic company and exposed bitter infighting among its dancers. Principal dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko, detained Tuesday, was reportedly suspected of masterminding the attack. Police also brought in Yuri Zarutski, 35, believed to be Filin's assailant, as well as Andrei Lipatov, a man suspected of driving Zarutski to and from the attack, according to a statement on the Interior Ministry website.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 15, 2013 | By David Ng
An American dancer at the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow has quit the renowned institution, claiming that she would have had to pay a bribe in order to secure a solo role. Joy Womack, who hails from Los Angeles and who studied at the Westside School of Ballet in Santa Monica, is the first American woman to be hired as a soloist at the Moscow company. Womack said this week that she resigned her position at the Bolshoi because company leaders were demanding $10,000 from her for a solo role, according to initial reports from the Russian news organization Izvestia. She is reportedly joining the Kremlyovsky Ballet Company in Moscow.  On her Twitter account on Thursday, Womack wrote "No comment.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 29, 2013 | By David Ng
A former soloist with the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow has reportedly pleaded not guilty to accusations he organized an acid attack in January on the company's artistic director, Sergei Filin, leaving the victim with severe burns and eye damage. At a court hearing in Moscow on Tuesday, Pavel Dmitrichenko formally entered a plea of not guilty. The Associated Press reported that Dmitrichenko has denied that he organized the assault with the help of Yuri Zarutsky, who is  suspected of physically carrying out the attack.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 29, 2013 | By David Ng
Prosecutors in the case of a Bolshoi Ballet dancer accused of masterminding an acid attack on the company's artistic director want the defendant to serve nine years in a labor camp. A verdict in the Moscow court case is expected on Tuesday. Pavel Dmitrichenko has pleaded not guilty to ordering the January attack on artistic director Sergei Filin, who suffered severe facial burns and damage to his eyes. The attack was allegedly carried out by Yury Zarutsky, who is facing a possible sentence of 10 years, according to reports.
NEWS
July 21, 2013 | By Jessica Gelt
A senior violinist died last week from injuries sustained after falling into the orchestra pit at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow. The death of Viktor Sedov, 65, is the latest bad news in a mounting string of tragedies involving the historic theater that have led to chatter about a supposed "Curse of the Bolshoi. " Sedov played in ballet and opera productions at the Bolshoi for nearly 40 years, a spokeswoman told the Guardian , adding that he was a popular member of the orchestra, known for his "sense of humor and extraordinary erudition.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 20, 2013 | By Sergei L. Loiko
MOSCOW - Sipping tea in a cafe at the GUM department store overlooking the Kremlin, Joy Womack stared at Red Square and remembered arriving in Russia as a teen carrying huge hopes about her ballet career. She recalled how she would stand in the middle of a circle on the paving stones in front of the State Historical Museum, a spot where Muscovites and visitors traditionally stop and make wishes. First came her wish to be at the top of her ballet class. Another wish to graduate with honors.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 15, 2013 | By David Ng
An American dancer at the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow has quit the renowned institution, claiming that she would have had to pay a bribe in order to secure a solo role. Joy Womack, who hails from Los Angeles and who studied at the Westside School of Ballet in Santa Monica, is the first American woman to be hired as a soloist at the Moscow company. Womack said this week that she resigned her position at the Bolshoi because company leaders were demanding $10,000 from her for a solo role, according to initial reports from the Russian news organization Izvestia. She is reportedly joining the Kremlyovsky Ballet Company in Moscow.  On her Twitter account on Thursday, Womack wrote "No comment.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 6, 2013 | By Sergei L. Loiko
MOSCOW -- Sergei Filin, the Bolshoi Theater ballet artistic director who suffered serious burns over his face and body from an acid attack earlier this year, made an emotional appearance in court Wednesday, speaking publicly for the first and likely last time. “I will not forgive anybody for what happened,” Filin, 43, said firmly without looking toward the cage that held the three defendants, Pavel Dmitrichenko, 29, a leading Bolshoi ballet soloist who is charged with masterminding the plan, and two men who have been indicted for carrying it out. During more than two hours of testimony, Filin broke down, sobbing, as he laid out a detailed picture of the animosity and threats that he said he suffered at the Bolshoi Theater ever since he -- a former Bolshoi star dancer  --  returned to lead its ballet company in 2011.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 29, 2013 | By David Ng
A former soloist with the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow has reportedly pleaded not guilty to accusations he organized an acid attack in January on the company's artistic director, Sergei Filin, leaving the victim with severe burns and eye damage. At a court hearing in Moscow on Tuesday, Pavel Dmitrichenko formally entered a plea of not guilty. The Associated Press reported that Dmitrichenko has denied that he organized the assault with the help of Yuri Zarutsky, who is  suspected of physically carrying out the attack.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 29, 2013 | By Sergei L. Loiko
MOSCOW -- Bolshoi Ballet leading soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko and two other men were indicted Tuesday for the sulfuric acid attack on the company's artistic director, Sergei Filin. Dmitrichenko, looking haggard and nervous in court, pleaded not guilty and after hearing the indictment read his own version of events from handwritten notes. The indictment says that Dmitrichenko, driven by animosity toward Filin over the distribution of dance roles and fees, hired Yuri Zarutsky and Andrei Lipatov and masterminded the Jan. 17, 2013, acid attack months before.
ENTERTAINMENT
September 19, 2013 | By David Ng
Sergei Filin, the artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow, has returned to the renowned theater for the first time since undergoing operations to deal with the aftermath of a horrific acid attack that severely damaged his eyesight. Filin, 42, wore sunglasses inside the theater Tuesday, where he was surrounded by journalists. According to reports, he said he felt well but isn't able to return to work yet. Filin has traveled to Germany to receive treatment for his eyes, and his vision has reportedly recovered somewhat but is still significantly impaired.
ENTERTAINMENT
December 3, 2013 | By David Ng
The Bolshoi Ballet dancer accused of organizing an acid attack on the company's artistic director in January has been found guilty and sentenced to six years in prison. The decision, handed down Tuesday in a Moscow court, capped a lurid courtroom drama that exposed internal corruption in the storied ballet company. Pavel Dmitrichenko had been accused of masterminding the assault on Bolshoi artistic director Sergei Filin in January. The acid attack left Filin with severe facial burns and damage to his eyesight.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 20, 2013 | By Sergei L. Loiko
MOSCOW - Sipping tea in a cafe at the GUM department store overlooking the Kremlin, Joy Womack stared at Red Square and remembered arriving in Russia as a teen carrying huge hopes about her ballet career. She recalled how she would stand in the middle of a circle on the paving stones in front of the State Historical Museum, a spot where Muscovites and visitors traditionally stop and make wishes. First came her wish to be at the top of her ballet class. Another wish to graduate with honors.
ENTERTAINMENT
July 23, 2013 | By Jamie Wetherbe
Nikolai Tsiskaridze has some more controversial comments for his former employer. The Bolshoi ballets's former lead dancer, who was ousted from the famed company in June, has questioned the severity of the acid attack on the theater's artistic director Sergei Filin. "I'm just asking for proof," he told the Guardian. "Normally a person who has had an acid attack has burnt hands, has no eyelashes or eyebrows, and they can't use their voice. " PHOTOS: Bolshoi acid attack Despite 18 operations, Filin was left nearly blind after a masked man in January threw sulfuric acid into his face.
NEWS
July 21, 2013 | By Jessica Gelt
A senior violinist died last week from injuries sustained after falling into the orchestra pit at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow. The death of Viktor Sedov, 65, is the latest bad news in a mounting string of tragedies involving the historic theater that have led to chatter about a supposed "Curse of the Bolshoi. " Sedov played in ballet and opera productions at the Bolshoi for nearly 40 years, a spokeswoman told the Guardian , adding that he was a popular member of the orchestra, known for his "sense of humor and extraordinary erudition.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|