Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSerial Crimes
IN THE NEWS

Serial Crimes

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
June 19, 1996 | MARK GLADSTONE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Eleven weeks after Unabomber suspect Theodore John Kaczynski was arrested at his remote cabin in central Montana, a federal grand jury here indicted him Tuesday in four bombings, including ones that killed a Capitol lobbyist and a local merchant.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 22, 2001 | MARIA L. La GANGA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
If authorities cannot find housing for a serial rapist, he could be freed from Atascadero State Hospital without the severe restrictions that physicians say would neutralize his threat to the community. Earlier this month, Marin County Superior Court Judge John S. Graham ruled that sexual predator Patrick Henry Ghilotti, 45, was safe to release under strict conditions, including being fitted with a global positioning device to track his movements and taking testosterone-lowering drugs.
Advertisement
NEWS
August 3, 1995 | TRACY WEBER and THAO HUA, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Six years ago, police had a composite drawing and strong indications--including a chilling modus operandi--that a man later dubbed the "Cottonwood Pervert" was preying on women across Orange County. Most residents, however, did not find out until Tuesday what police detectives had long suspected: A serial rapist may have been stalking in their midst since 1987. Kenneth G.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 11, 2001 | TIMOTHY HUGHES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Serial rape suspect Vincent Henry Sanchez, accused of assaulting 11 Simi Valley women over the past five years, pleaded not guilty to the charges Friday. Sanchez, 30, who is also a suspect in the disappearance and slaying of a 20-year-old Moorpark woman, also pleaded not guilty to burglary and kidnapping charges during a brief hearing in Ventura County Superior Court.
NEWS
September 12, 1998 | Associated Press
A long-awaited prison psychiatrist's report on Theodore Kaczynski was released Friday, detailing the Unabomber's fantasies about mutilating a girlfriend, killing psychiatrists and having a sex-change operation. The 47-page report, compiled in part from interviews with Kaczynski in his Sacramento County Jail cell and from his writings dating to the 1960s, said Kaczynski's frustrated desire for a sex-change operation set him on the path to being a serial killer.
NEWS
July 7, 1995 | JENIFER WARREN and RICHARD C. PADDOCK, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Sacramento police said Thursday that they videotaped a man resembling the elusive Unabomber in the crowd that gathered around the blast site where the terrorist's bomb killed timber lobbyist Gilbert Murray in April. Police videotaped the crime scene and surrounding crowd when they arrived and noticed that a man abruptly hurried away when he realized he was being taped, said Homicide Lt. Joe Enloe.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 11, 2001 | TIMOTHY HUGHES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Serial rape suspect Vincent Henry Sanchez, accused of assaulting 11 Simi Valley women over the past five years, pleaded not guilty to the charges Friday. Sanchez, 30, who is also a suspect in the disappearance and slaying of a 20-year-old Moorpark woman, also pleaded not guilty to burglary and kidnapping charges during a brief hearing in Ventura County Superior Court.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 1, 2001
A suspected serial rapist was charged with 57 criminal counts Tuesday for allegedly kidnapping, raping and violently assaulting 11 women in Simi Valley during the past five years. Vincent Sanchez, a 30-year-old part-time movie studio employee, appeared briefly in Ventura County Superior Court but did not enter a plea. His arraignment was postponed to Aug. 10. Sanchez is being held on $1-million bail.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1997
A carport fire in Alhambra that caused $11,000 in damage has been determined to be arson, the latest in a string of more than 20 such blazes in the San Gabriel Valley. Investigators have not determined whether the fire, reported shortly after midnight Sunday in the 900 block of Edith Avenue, was set by the serial arsonist dubbed "the phantom," who is suspected in many of the blazes. No one was hurt, authorities said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 7, 2000 | THERESA MOREAU, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Santa Ana detectives on Friday pulled reports of unsolved crimes, seeking possible connections to the man in custody on suspicion of sexually attacking eight women in a spree that terrorized the city. Eduardo Alberto Guzman, 22, was arrested Thursday and is scheduled to be arraigned in Orange County Superior Court on Tuesday. "Our crime analysis [people] are going over other crimes where females are robbed," Santa Ana Police Sgt. Raul Luna said. "We're looking at crimes in the past year.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 1, 2001
A suspected serial rapist was charged with 57 criminal counts Tuesday for allegedly kidnapping, raping and violently assaulting 11 women in Simi Valley during the past five years. Vincent Sanchez, a 30-year-old part-time movie studio employee, appeared briefly in Ventura County Superior Court but did not enter a plea. His arraignment was postponed to Aug. 10. Sanchez is being held on $1-million bail.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 7, 2000 | THERESA MOREAU, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Santa Ana detectives on Friday pulled reports of unsolved crimes, seeking possible connections to the man in custody on suspicion of sexually attacking eight women in a spree that terrorized the city. Eduardo Alberto Guzman, 22, was arrested Thursday and is scheduled to be arraigned in Orange County Superior Court on Tuesday. "Our crime analysis [people] are going over other crimes where females are robbed," Santa Ana Police Sgt. Raul Luna said. "We're looking at crimes in the past year.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 22, 2000 | THERESA MOREAU, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
A knife-wielding rapist has attacked at least four women in Santa Ana over the last two months, police said. All of the attacks have happened in the early morning as the women walked alone in gated apartment complexes along the 17th Street corridor between the Santa Ana River and the Santa Ana Freeway, said Sgt. Raul Luna, a spokesman for the Santa Ana Police Department. "He lies in wait, and he will conceal himself somewhere in the parking or courtyard areas," Luna said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 27, 1999 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Orange County criminal database credited with helping police catch an alleged serial rapist earlier this year received $250,000 in state funds Tuesday. The money will help keep afloat Trackers--the Task Force Review Aimed at Catching Killers, Rapists and Sex Offenders--which has archived fingerprint and DNA evidence from thousands of old homicides and rapes throughout Orange County.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 17, 1999
New charges filed against Jelani Efron King, the man suspected of being the so-called Westside rapist, reveal a five-month crime rampage in which he allegedly raped seven women, attacked three and burglarized the homes of 13 others. King, 20, was arraigned Wednesday on 63 felony counts, including 23 counts of residential burglary, 15 counts of forcible rape, and five counts of robbery among other charges, Deputy Dist. Atty. Michael Latin said. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
NEWS
September 12, 1998 | Associated Press
A long-awaited prison psychiatrist's report on Theodore Kaczynski was released Friday, detailing the Unabomber's fantasies about mutilating a girlfriend, killing psychiatrists and having a sex-change operation. The 47-page report, compiled in part from interviews with Kaczynski in his Sacramento County Jail cell and from his writings dating to the 1960s, said Kaczynski's frustrated desire for a sex-change operation set him on the path to being a serial killer.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 15, 1994 | YVETTE CABRERA
Orange County postal officials are warning their employees and the public to watch for suspicious-looking parcels or letters, as authorities seek a serial bomber. Saturday's death of New Jersey advertising executive Thomas J. Mosser was the 15th in a series of attacks believed to be the work of one person. Two people have been killed and 23 have been injured by bombs mailed in six states, including seven in Northern California. .
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 28, 1998
Proclaiming his innocence to the end, a convicted serial rapist was sentenced Friday to 157 years to life in prison for robbing and raping four women in the San Fernando Valley, prosecutors said. Jose Luis Zarate told Superior Court Judge Darlene Schempp that he was innocent and has filed an appeal. Prosecutors had requested the maximum penalty for Zarate, 28, who abducted, raped and robbed the women at gunpoint in a three-week period in 1996.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|